talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Newcastle United Discussion

football forum

So I was today years old when I learned about the Champion's League co-efficient payment.

I know I am late to this and probably miles behind Newcastle fans, but this is outrageous. Newcastle and Man United can go out at the same stage and yet United get a much bigger financial reward from UEFA. I'm surprised it isn't being challenged in court as anti-competitive practice. It is so clearly designed to shut out clubs from breaking into the 'elite'.

screenshot_20240401_134958_gmail.thumb.jpg.7b267da9b6edfb2bbd398f9ad809e7b4.jpg

1 hour ago, The Palace Fan said:

So I was today years old when I learned about the Champion's League co-efficient payment.

I know I am late to this and probably miles behind Newcastle fans, but this is outrageous. Newcastle and Man United can go out at the same stage and yet United get a much bigger financial reward from UEFA. I'm surprised it isn't being challenged in court as anti-competitive practice. It is so clearly designed to shut out clubs from breaking into the 'elite'.

screenshot_20240401_134958_gmail.thumb.jpg.7b267da9b6edfb2bbd398f9ad809e7b4.jpg

Sky and the Premier League created this precedent in the 90s

1 hour ago, Spike said:

Sky and the Premier League created this precedent in the 90s

Even if The Premier League hadnt formed in 1992, I'm pretty confident we'd still have been heading in the same direction. It was the same year The Champions League rebrand started, and Serie A was a beast of its own after Italia 90. David Platt had joined Juventus for 6.5m, Gazza had left English Football for Lazio for 5.5m (reduced from 7.5m after his Gary Charles tackle), meanwhile United had signed Cantona from Leeds for 1.2m.

The money and popularity of football was growing so the game still would have still attracted the same type of characters. Silvio Berlusconi was the original Super League advocate after all. Those characters involved in the English game would just more than likely be in charge of different teams on the European continent.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

I'm surprised it isn't being challenged in court as anti-competitive practice

I'm surprised that you're surprised by anti-competitive practice in elite-level football. It basically defines the sport now.

1 hour ago, The Palace Fan said:

Even if The Premier League hadnt formed in 1992, I'm pretty confident we'd still have been heading in the same direction. It was the same year The Champions League rebrand started, and Serie A was a beast of its own after Italia 90. David Platt had joined Juventus for 6.5m, Gazza had left English Football for Lazio for 5.5m (reduced from 7.5m after his Gary Charles tackle), meanwhile United had signed Cantona from Leeds for 1.2m.

The money and popularity of football was growing so the game still would have still attracted the same type of characters. Silvio Berlusconi was the original Super League advocate after all. Those characters involved in the English game would just more than likely be in charge of different teams on the European continent.

No I mean that movement of cash away from the league pyramid to the top dogs. The PL restructured the money away from the whole pyramid to the rope clubs exclusive to the PL

2 hours ago, Spike said:

No I mean that movement of cash away from the league pyramid to the top dogs. The PL restructured the money away from the whole pyramid to the rope clubs exclusive to the PL

Ah I get you now.

Yeah, I'm not happy about my club being one of the loudest voices in that current debate. The PL clubs only have themselves to blame that there's now an independent regulator being put in place.

Yankubah Minteh helping Feyenoord dismantle Ajax 6-0 with 2 goals and an assist. assisted the first and scored the second and fourth goal a nice curler.

He now has 10 goals and 4 assists.  Almiron replacement?