talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Arsenal Discussion

football forum

Ivan Gazidis is expected to take a more direct role in Arsenal’s transfer negotiations now that Dick Law, the club’s negotiator, is leaving – but it seems inevitable Arsenal will eventually appoint a Director of Football.

The Arsenal chief executive, who bore the brunt of criticism for what was viewed a chaotic and unsatisfactory transfer window, has moved his office to the London Colney training ground and is working there regularly for the first time since he joined the club in 2008, a further sign of the transition promised as the Arsene Wenger years draw to an end.

Gazidis, Law, Wenger and Jaeson Rosenfeld, the chief executive of Arsenal’s own statistics company, StatDNA, have previously made up what is effectively Arsenal’s transfer committee. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/10/2017 at 10:58, Gunnersauraus said:

Gotta hope Sanchez doesn't start playing shit now he hasn't got a world cup place to push him on

His World Cup place for Chile would have been a guarantee. Infact a poor season for Arsenal but a great World Cup would still improve his stock. Without the World Cup as a fall back option id argue we would now see a more focused Alexis that will benefit Arsenal until his futures decided. 

On 16/10/2017 at 5:33 PM, VanPaddy said:

I dont even know what Arsenal are really playing for this season,  keeping Wenger on, Ozil and Sanchez seems to be a very costly mistake.

Wenger will cling on to something this season. We will still be in the top 4 hunt around March I reckon with the way Chelsea and Liverpool are currently playing, it's just typical us really. 

Agree with the Ozil and Sanchez sentiment, both looking like they aren't going to be here next season and don't really seem arsed. Alexis especially is just completely playing for himself whenever he is on the pitch. Wouldn't be surprised to see us try our luck this January and try and get any money possible for them. Would be so typical of the current Arsenal/Wenger regime. 

2 hours ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Wenger will cling on to something this season. We will still be in the top 4 hunt around March I reckon with the way Chelsea and Liverpool are currently playing, it's just typical us really. 

Agree with the Ozil and Sanchez sentiment, both looking like they aren't going to be here next season and don't really seem arsed. Alexis especially is just completely playing for himself whenever he is on the pitch. Wouldn't be surprised to see us try our luck this January and try and get any money possible for them. Would be so typical of the current Arsenal/Wenger regime. 

The current team is so weak and average, the defenders and centre midfield are a joke,  Elneny is so poor and along side Xhaka is just never going to do anything,  You need strong players in the middle of the park, our strongest player is out wide playing left back, it says it all.  Wenger is just finished and the board are just finding it hard to let him go. 

33 minutes ago, VanPaddy said:

The current team is so weak and average, the defenders and centre midfield are a joke,  Elneny is so poor and along side Xhaka is just never going to do anything,  You need strong players in the middle of the park, our strongest player is out wide playing left back, it says it all.  Wenger is just finished and the board are just finding it hard to let him go. 

Agree with you on our midfield, Elneny is genuinely the worst midfielders we have had in Wenger's time here, he offers nothing offensively or defensively. Xhaka and Wilshere are players a rate highly, but have their flaws. Cazorla will probably never play for us again and Coquelin is far too limited for a club like Arsenal. Our whole midfield needs serious revamping as Ramsey is the only one who I would say is up there with the top midfielders in the league, but again he always seems to have spells of injury.

37 minutes ago, True Blue said:

Agreed don't see many top clubs after him (Ozil). While Sanchez could be on his way in January or will Arsene risk to keep him until the summer and get nothing for him?

They probably do want Ozil but its probably Arsenals crazy price they are asking for him as was the first big buy Arsenal ever made, which seems to be a failure now,   plus why would a team pay crazy money when they can get him for free soon. I think he will go to Turkey, he has just bought a property there.  

10 minutes ago, VanPaddy said:

They probably do want Ozil but its probably Arsenals crazy price they are asking for him as was the first big buy Arsenal ever made, which seems to be a failure now,   plus why would a team pay crazy money when they can get him for free soon. I think he will go to Turkey, he has just bought a property there.  

No “big” club will guarantee Özil constant first team football the way he performs and what’s for sure is that NO coach will play him 90 minutes as Wenger is the only coach to have persisted with this. Özil has it at Arsenal like he would never have it anywhere else in everything from playing to wages. 

Just now, SirBalon said:

No “big” club will guarantee Özil constant first team football the way he performs and what’s for sure is that NO coach will play him 90 minutes as Wenger is the only coach to have persisted with this. Özil has it at Arsenal like he would never have it anywhere else in everything from playing to wages. 

Yea I totally agree but I do believe he will leave, he will go to Fenerbahce, he can be even more lazy there. 

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Despicable Shelvey said:

Wenger does look like a bag of bones

I hear their AGM meeting went well.... from what I can tell it was mostly all positive 

According to 'Objective Metrics' they should be well out in front of everyone else in the League... maybe Arsenal can bring that in as a possible way to win the League each season.. 

On 04/09/2017 at 10:18 PM, SirBalon said:

I knew it was tongue and cheek mate. But I feel you are the moderate version of me which I love. I just used your post to display more of my dissatisfaction. 

Sirbalon I have to ask you. You say about Arsenal needing to go back to the glory days. But when were these glory days? We never got past the quarter finals of the European cup before Wenger was here. You keep saying about arsenals decline but we are still better than better than before wenger was here. I'm Wenger out myself but you seem to refer to glory days that never existed. Not a critism mate. Just a question

2 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Sirbalon I have to ask you. You say about Arsenal needing to go back to the glory days. But when were these glory days? We never got past the quarter finals of the European cup before Wenger was here. You keep saying about arsenals decline but we are still better than better than before wenger was here. I'm Wenger out myself but you seem to refer to glory days that never existed. Not a critism mate. Just a question

Arsenal won a European cup with Graham it might of been the Cup winners Cup  but Wenger has taken Arsenal on to 2 finals Uefa Cup and Champions League but they lost.   The thing is,  Arsenal are a big club domestically but small with their European Success only the name Arsenal is big abroad through marketing and what the global branding brings from the Premiership.   I think a lot of people miss the feel of a big family at Arsenal like it was at the glory days at highbury.  Now I am not sure what there is now to look forward to go to the games, Arsenal are even more predictable and boring now in the last couple of years then they were with Graham because he had a plan how to win games.     The whole club top to bottom now is a joke in this modern world with all this finance in the club sitting around and still they cannot address any of the obvious issues, it really is making people turn their back on the club and maybe football itself as the fan is getting mugged off. 

Edited by VanPaddy

Wenger would go down into history as the longest serving manager with the least amount of trophies.     Recent success in the FA Cup will weight lightly compared to the 9 years of drought.      I still can't understand why oh why is he still Arsenal's manager.

2 minutes ago, bozziovai said:

Wenger would go down into history as the longest serving manager with the least amount of trophies.     Recent success in the FA Cup will weight lightly compared to the 9 years of drought.      I still can't understand why oh why is he still Arsenal's manager.

Pretty sure he's our most successful ever manager... To @Gunnersauraus's point, people are pretending that we used to be something that we weren't before Wenger. Must be people listening to the morons that appear on ArsenalFanTV or "WOBs" on Twitter.

Nothing wrong with wanting Wenger replaced but at least come to the table with statements that hold true. Facts are that the 20 years under Wenger have been better than the 20 years before him. Going forward we may need someone new with new ideas and that's where the debate needs to be when discussing a new manager rather than pointing to the past and suggesting Wenger's not done better than those before him as that is quite easily incorrect.