talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FINAL - Wednesday 24th May - Ajax 0-2 Man Utd

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Sake, how much are they (BT Sport) going to go on about how this result has been so massively important for the Manchester as a city? They have a point that it's a boost and I'm absolutely sure a number of United fans will be more emotional about the win after what happened the other night, but they're almost talking as if the 22 victims are going to wake up tomorrow now that United have won.

1 minute ago, adziom said:

Sake, how much are they (BT Sport) going to go on about how this result has been so massively important for the Manchester as a city? They have a point that it's a boost and I'm absolutely sure a number of United fans will be more emotional about the win after what happened the other night, but they're almost talking as if the 22 victims are going to wake up tomorrow now that United have won.

Man city fans were probably supporting Ajax

• Administrator
1 minute ago, adziom said:

this. it's got annoying now since the coverage started. I get their sentiments but they need be reminded of what overkill means. 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Have I got this right... are man Utd players and manager holding up 3 fingers because they are counting the community shield as a trophy they have win this season?

That's how I'm interpreting it...

2 minutes ago, VanPanna said:

Wenger must be lapping this up, new board requirements  finish top ten but win uefa cup to get CL

Knowing your luck Bayern would probably finish 3rd in the CL group stages then draw with you lot in the knockout stages 

It's a shame the Europa League is considered "major" European competition, sides gone before won it were team finishing 2nd or 3rd in their respective leagues, nowadays it's teams finishing 5th or 6th. It's still the Carling Cup of Europe.

Its quite funny that before the final, Mourinho said Ajax shouldnt be here as they came from the champions league and if you dont qualiying for the tournament properly you dont deserve to be there. 😄 Now he has qualified a similar way. 

The 'experience' card has been played by BT all night and it's really an easy buy out and it wasn't the reason Ajax lost tonight. Of course, experience is important in football as it is in life in general but fuck me, it's easy/cop out analysis. 

Young player makes mistake, 'complete lack of experience from him there'.

Old player makes mistake, 'he's made a mistake there'.

Didn't Ajax win the Champions League with a very young team (average age of 23) against an experienced AC Milan in 1995??

1 minute ago, carefreeluke said:

Didn't Ajax win the Champions League with a very young team (average age of 23) against an experienced AC Milan in 1995??

Even though 1995 is not all that long ago (definitely not for me xD), football has changed a hell of a lot since then.  Clubs weren't spending hundreds of millions of pounds to try and win things back then.

Without the first goal I think Ajax would have probably played much better, I think they got really nervous thinking thats the end of it. They gave away the ball way too many times. 

11 minutes ago, Asura said:

Without the first goal I think Ajax would have probably played much better, I think they got really nervous thinking thats the end of it. They gave away the ball way too many times. 

I think so too, but that's just all "maybes".

I think Ajax deserve a lot of credit and a lot more than the criticisms being thrown at a side that in some leagues would be basically an adolescent's party.

Bosz was the real boss of this tournament this season.   I like this guy!

• Administrator
20 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Marc Overmars (technical director at Ajax) has spent £43m assembling this Ajax side...  Need I go any further?

FOOTBALL! B|

There's a lot of chatter about Overmars joining Arsenal as technical director, it seems the club are keen ... Wenger not so 

19 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Even though 1995 is not all that long ago (definitely not for me xD), football has changed a hell of a lot since then.  Clubs weren't spending hundreds of millions of pounds to try and win things back then.

True but experience isn't the reason they lost, of course it may have been a factor but Man United (regardless of what people think of their tactics) were simply the better team.

Ajax played into United's hands and they weren't intelligent enough with the ball, no change in pace in the final third and when they did have opportunities to break the lines they were sloppy and careless with the ball. They were very predictable and Herrera and Blind etc set traps all night in front of the defence and every time Ajax were caught out. Probably the most comfortable game Man United have had all season which firstly says something about how well Man United defended as a unit but more notably how poor Ajax were in attack in the final third.

Just now, Batard said:

There's a lot of chatter about Overmars joining Arsenal as technical director, it seems the club are keen ... Wenger not so 

It's what needs to be done so the transition to the way a modern football club functions.  But yeah, I can't see Wenger liking something like that and what's even worse, is from there on, how does he merit the ridiculous salary he gets with a system where he's just the head coach.

1 minute ago, carefreeluke said:

True but experience isn't the reason they lost, of course it may have been a factor but Man United (regardless of what people think of their tactics) were simply the better team.

Ajax played into United's hands and they weren't intelligent enough with the ball, no change in pace in the final third and when they did have opportunities to break the lines they were sloppy and careless with the ball. They were very predictable and Herrera and Blind etc set traps all night in front of the defence and every time Ajax were caught out. Probably the most comfortable game Man United have had all season.

Yep...  United probably haven't played a side like that in the league they participate in where clubs spend stupid amounts of money mate.  They probably play a side like that in training against their youth setups. 

Ask yourself this question...  Would United have got to the final with a a side from their youth setups matching those ages throughout?

Problem is in Europe man utd still carry this huge  name still, not being the champions league,  teams back off and Show them so much respect because its Man utd. In reality man utd are dull and boring and if Ajax came out a bit difference they maybe should of done better but man utd didnt really set this tournament up alight. Dont really know where they are going with Mourinho as a Real Madrid would destroy this man utd team.

5 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Yep...  United probably haven't played a side like that in the league they participate in where clubs spend stupid amounts of money mate.  They probably play a side like that in training against their youth setups. 

Ask yourself this question...  Would United have got to the final with a a side from their youth setups matching those ages throughout?

United didn't play Ajax's u18's, they played their first team, there is no comparison with United's youth side. It's been Ajax's prerogative to play with such a young team.

• The title was changed to FINAL - Wednesday 24th May - Ajax 0-2 Man Utd
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived