talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Worst Managers from the Premier League era?

football forum

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Harsh mentioning Peter Reid in this thread. He took Sunderland to 7th, their best league finish in about 40 years. 

Doesn't make him any better as a manager but he also comes across as a top bloke, takes all the stick off our fans well and seems to have a good sense of humour. Selling his medals off to help save Plymouth Argyle was an amazing gesture as well.

Not many people associated with that vile, small time mongfest down the road will get praise off me, but Reid is a top fella. 

• Subscriber
45 minutes ago, Any O'Brien said:

Harsh mentioning Peter Reid in this thread. He took Sunderland to 7th, their best league finish in about 40 years. 

Doesn't make him any better as a manager but he also comes across as a top bloke, takes all the stick off our fans well and seems to have a good sense of humour. Selling his medals off to help save Plymouth Argyle was an amazing gesture as well.

Not many people associated with that vile, small time mongfest down the road will get praise off me, but Reid is a top fella. 

Again it's based on vague memory. I just seem to have a memory of him having a shocking period. Not worthy of this thread after all.

John Carver has got to be up there. He was a disaster.

8 hours ago, Dan said:

Again it's based on vague memory. I just seem to have a memory of him having a shocking period. Not worthy of this thread after all.

John Carver has got to be up there. He was a disaster.

Carver is number one I think, his deludedness cements him that spot.

Joe Kinnear was another disaster for us who has not been mentioned but his spell at Wimbledon probably stopped that.

On 19/10/2017 at 9:56 AM, Any O'Brien said:

Carver is number one I think, his deludedness cements him that spot.

Joe Kinnear was another disaster for us who has not been mentioned but his spell at Wimbledon probably stopped that.

Didn't he say he was the best coach in the premiership?

8 minutes ago, Dan said:

There have been some shoddy away performances here from teams since we've come up but I think that one ranks as the absolute worst.

It was shocking. We were shocking in his first away game which was at your place in the cup where you basically strolled past us. 

We are the kings of being absolutely fucking shite away from home. Rafa has changed that.

• Subscriber
Just now, Any O'Brien said:

It was shocking. We were shocking in his first away game which was at your place in the cup where you basically strolled past us. 

We are the kings of being absolutely fucking shite away from home. Rafa has changed that.

That was another dreadful performance although one thing that strikes me about that game was you scored an absolutely brilliant team goal on the counter that got wrongly ruled out for offside, although we had a pretty weak XI out and I'm pretty sure we missed some sitters.

Can relate totally. Yesterday was our 3rd away win since winning the league.

3 minutes ago, Dan said:

That was another dreadful performance although one thing that strikes me about that game was you scored an absolutely brilliant team goal on the counter that got wrongly ruled out for offside, although we had a pretty weak XI out and I'm pretty sure we missed some sitters.

Can relate totally. Yesterday was our 3rd away win since winning the league.

Aye I remember that, was it Capella who scored it? Was at the opposite end to the away end I recall that much. I remember the end of the match the players got a similar reaction to what Carver mentioned in the video.

That is a fucking bizerk stat. 

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Any O'Brien said:

Aye I remember that, was it Capella who scored it? Was at the opposite end to the away end I recall that much. I remember the end of the match the players got a similar reaction to what Carver mentioned in the video.

That is a fucking bizerk stat. 

I can remember a particular reaction when your team went over. Could understand it really. 4,000 travelling 350 miles round trip and were dished up that utter tripe.

5 minutes ago, Dan said:

I can remember a particular reaction when your team went over. Could understand it really. 4,000 travelling 350 miles round trip and were dished up that utter tripe.

Funny because there is a stat that in the Ashley era we have only won 3 FA Cup ties. 2 relegations. 2 top half finishes - this after we had played European Football of some description in half of our "Premier League" seasons prior to that. "Better the devil you know."

Back to Carver though, here is record at NUFC. 

https://i.imgur.com/zfvjcz2.jpg[/img]

1 minute ago, Aaroncpfc said:

Carver was doing alright in that press conference. Let's be honest, Mike Williamson was so shite he would have taken a suspension over displaying his attributes for an extra two games, he just fucked up by saying Jack Colback was the pinnacle of an ideal footballer. 

What he was saying was true, and I admire his honesty as well. 

I actually liked Carver when he was here under Robson, all of the fans did. He ruined it all when he was offering fans out for a fight at a home game and then when he was in the stands prior to a game having a go at someone with an anti Pardew banner. Southampton away rings a bell.

16 minutes ago, Any O'Brien said:

What he was saying was true, and I admire his honesty as well. 

I actually liked Carver when he was here under Robson, all of the fans did. He ruined it all when he was offering fans out for a fight at a home game and then when he was in the stands prior to a game having a go at someone with an anti Pardew banner. Southampton away rings a bell.

That whole Pardew period was weird but brilliant at the same time for an outsider. All those passionate Geordies going mad at him every other week and the massive shagger just didn't give a fuck. 

Just a shame he made an absolute twat of himself at my expense.

3 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

That whole Pardew period was weird but brilliant at the same time for an outsider. All those passionate Geordies going mad at him every other week and the massive shagger just didn't give a fuck. 

Just a shame he made an absolute twat of himself at my expense.

Ha! As an outsider I would have been loving it too. I can honestly say he drained the life out of the club. I wanted us to lose every week under him I wanted the cunt gone that much.

He never slags us off or anything in his punditry and hasn't said a bad word about Ashley. I genuinely believe he thinks there is a slight chance that Ashley could approach him again for the job. Feel ill saying it but I wouldn't rule it out either. 

Archived