talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Worst Managers from the Premier League era?

football forum

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He also got us into the champions league and an FA Cup final. Although he did fuck things up he is nowhere near the worst, especially when you factor in that the best player on planet earth was injured for a big chunk of the season that led to us crashing down to 13th and having John Barnes as our top scorer from central midfield.

It's probably harsh to name Alex McLeish given that he led Birmingham to only their second major trophy in their history, and first for 48 years (Szczesny and Koscielny take a bow). 

However he was relegated twice in 4 seasons with Birmingham and led Villa to a 16th place finish in 2011/2012, with his teams playing such boring and negative football. 

The Villa fans on here can correct me if i'm wrong, but I don't think they were angry at his 2011 appointment because of his history at Birmingham, but because of his track record of relegations and awful football there. Had they instead poached a talented manager with a good record from Birmingham, then I'm sure they would have been delighted. 

Those saying Mark Hughes clearly have a short memory - he was one our best managers, getting us into Europe and signing some very classy players we couldn't even dream of now. The move to Man City killed his career - it was too much too soon and he has never recovered. 

Steve Kean has to be the worst PL manager, but Paul Ince and Brian Kidd have to be up there too. All 3 good coaches but couldn't make the step up and became incompetent managers which have ruined this club.

24 minutes ago, roversgirl said:

Those saying Mark Hughes clearly have a short memory - he was one our best managers, getting us into Europe and signing some very classy players we couldn't even dream of now. The move to Man City killed his career - it was too much too soon and he has never recovered. 

Steve Kean has to be the worst PL manager, but Paul Ince and Brian Kidd have to be up there too. All 3 good coaches but couldn't make the step up and became incompetent managers which have ruined this club.

Yes Hughes's success with Blackburn means he shouldn't be anywhere near a list like this. 3 top 10 finishes, 3 cup semi-finals, a lot of victories against the big 4 clubs of that era (including a double over Man Utd in 2005/2006) and a lot of shrewd, bargain signings during his time there. Unfortunately that success made him arrogant and unlikable before he was humbled by his QPR failure. 

Excluding his 10th place finish with Man City in 2008/2009 after spending a lot of money, he has achieved a total of 7 Premier League top 10 finishes with Blackburn, Fulham and Stoke which is no mean feat. Tony Pulis is set to finally achieve his first top 10 finish this season after numerous attempts, though he might even blow that now with West Brom's woeful form since hitting 40 points. 

3 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

Dalglish won a Premiere League title and got to 2 cup finals in his first full season back at Liverpool and someone ranks him as one of the worst in Premier League history?

Some fucking people xD

Seems great, you should line him up if Klopp doesn't work out.

25 minutes ago, Tanksie said:

Seems great, you should line him up if Klopp doesn't work out.

Well his record and trophy haul as a manager is pretty great in all honesty. 

To say he's one of the worst in Premiere League history is, well, totally wrong. 

• Subscriber
On 5/15/2017 at 3:11 PM, Stan said:

Peter Taylor.

How on earth did I forget him? Single handedly destroyed one of our best ever sides and set us back about ten years, refusing to take a jot of the blame for it.

Carver jumped to mind straight away. If its worst stints of managers at clubs though that's another question entirely and i'd be inclined to throw quite a few more names into the mix such as hodgson at Liverpool. 

• 5 months later...

Dalglish and Rafa are silly shouts... if you want to go with an ex-Liverpool coach look no further than Graeme Souness:

He inherited a great side and tore it apart as he tried to put his stamp on the side. He'd also get into arguments with his own training staff and the tactics were abysmal. Souness set us back years and I don't think we really ever recovered.

He then went on to not really do anything useful at Blackburn and be totally dogshite at Newcastle. His work at Liverpool and Newcastle solidify his reputation as an abysmal manager. Even Hodgson, an unambitious journeyman who fluked his way into managing Blackburn when they were good, Inter Milan (okay this one isn't in England... I still think it's silly he was the manager there), Liverpool, and England has a better track record of success than Souness.

Archived