talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Aston Villa Discussion

football forum

July 15th – Shrewsbury vs Aston Villa, New Meadow, 3pm
July 18th – Walsall vs Aston Villa, Banks’s Stadium, 7.45pm
July 23rd – MSV Duisburg, Hertha Berlin, or Malaga vs Aston Villa (45 minute match), Schauinsland Reisen Arena, Duisburg, Germany, KO TBC
July 23rd – MSV Duisburg, Hertha Berlin, or Malaga vs Aston Villa (45 minute match), Schauinsland Reisen Arena, Duisburg, Germany, KO TBC
July 25th – Vitesse Arnhem vs Aston Villa, Venue TBC, KO TBC
July 28th – Tamworth vs Aston Villa XI, The Lamb, 7.30pm
July 29th – Aston Villa vs Watford (Graham Taylor tribute match), Villa Park, 3pm

I'm not sure about the German game but I think the watford is free to

12 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

All our preseason games are free on YouTube live stream. Samba is training with the squad and looked really good tonight in fairness even if the opposition was naff

There's my boy! Need a good solid Villa fan!

I thought Samba was an absolute monster, and as you say, the opposition was shit but he looked in shape and committed whereas Richards looked like a fat piece of shite....which he is. I've seen a lot of twitter shit having a go at Dross, but I thought he was looking very trim! 

You taken the plunge on the ST this  year, I did purely because it's so reasonable with the payment plan, it's like a phone bill.

3 hours ago, TomAVFC said:

There's my boy! Need a good solid Villa fan!

I thought Samba was an absolute monster, and as you say, the opposition was shit but he looked in shape and committed whereas Richards looked like a fat piece of shite....which he is. I've seen a lot of twitter shit having a go at Dross, but I thought he was looking very trim! 

You taken the plunge on the ST this  year, I did purely because it's so reasonable with the payment plan, it's like a phone bill.

No mate I have 2 kids under 3 years old I can't justify it. Planning to do 3-4 games and get ST's in a few years when my boy is old enough to be cursed with supporting us

1 minute ago, Fairy In Boots said:

No mate I have 2 kids under 3 years old I can't justify it. Planning to do 3-4 games and get ST's in a few years when my boy is old enough to be cursed with supporting us

To be fair I do understand your point, we've been let down many times. Not definite but I am away a lot so can't always go the games, if you're ever wanting to go message me and if I am going to be away you can have my swipe card.

Just now, TomAVFC said:

To be fair I do understand your point, we've been let down many times. Not definite but I am away a lot so can't always go the games, if you're ever wanting to go message me and if I am going to be away you can have my swipe card.

Free obviously.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

We've lost there a couple of times haha. It came up on my Youtube that it was being streamed. Didn't actually see it though.

Can never read too much into actual results in pre-season.

Villa starting to get a few signings in. Can't see them not getting promoted, they spent a lot last Summer but had the total wrong man in the job in Di Matteo. A pre season under their belts and they should be fine next year. Was weird because for all their bad games last season they never really got hammered and didn't seem to concede much - especially at Villa Park. Infact I may be wrong but I think they lost less home games than us.

Know a Villa fan who says they've looked awful in pre-season and there's some disquiet about the new signings, obviously pre-season means little in terms of performance but the signings just seem to be over the hill toss so far, barring Terry. Elmohamady would fit into the old toss cateogry if you get him from us too.

2 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Know a Villa fan who says they've looked awful in pre-season and there's some disquiet about the new signings, obviously pre-season means little in terms of performance but the signings just seem to be over the hill toss so far, barring Terry. Elmohamady would fit into the old toss cateogry if you get him from us too.

I disagree. I think Bruce has been quite astute bringing in experienced players to be fair.

Aston Villa have a huge squad, which still contains a lot of young players. Inexperience at times, was a contribution to their downfall last season, particularly when they tended to concede late goals. They gave far too many points away from winning positions.

He's creating a good balance. When you add in your John Terry's, Glen Whelen's and Elmohamady's for example, you are also blending them with your Hogan (25), Kodjia (27), Hourihane (26), Lansbury (26), Johnstone (24), Grealish (21) etc.

The only thing I'd say about Villa is, perhaps they have gone too OTT that they are extremely top heavy in certain departments and it will be hard to keep everyone happy. For this league, their squad is huge. Most sides that go up, are promoted because they have pretty much kept the same nucleus of players over the course of the season, which in turn creates a great team spirit. That could work against Villa if they don't find that and try to please too many players, but it's better to have options than not.

6 hours ago, Lucas said:

I disagree. I think Bruce has been quite astute bringing in experienced players to be fair.

Aston Villa have a huge squad, which still contains a lot of young players. Inexperience at times, was a contribution to their downfall last season, particularly when they tended to concede late goals. They gave far too many points away from winning positions.

He's creating a good balance. When you add in your John Terry's, Glen Whelen's and Elmohamady's for example, you are also blending them with your Hogan (25), Kodjia (27), Hourihane (26), Lansbury (26), Johnstone (24), Grealish (21) etc.

The only thing I'd say about Villa is, perhaps they have gone too OTT that they are extremely top heavy in certain departments and it will be hard to keep everyone happy. For this league, their squad is huge. Most sides that go up, are promoted because they have pretty much kept the same nucleus of players over the course of the season, which in turn creates a great team spirit. That could work against Villa if they don't find that and try to please too many players, but it's better to have options than not.

Id argue they had a good blend already of experience with the likes of Jedinak, Elphick and Chester. 

We won some tin pot cup today beat a strong Herta Berlin side 2-0. In the final. We've signed Samba on a 1 year deal to him and Terry are yet to concede pre season both look decent.

i think the squad will be cut a bit more yet, Hutton to Wednesday is looking done. McCormack didn't travel to Germany so I think he's off to Sunderland and Gardner looks to be Forrest bound

5 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

We won some tin pot cup today beat a strong Herta Berlin side 2-0. In the final. We've signed Samba on a 1 year deal to him and Terry are yet to concede pre season both look decent.

i think the squad will be cut a bit more yet, Hutton to Wednesday is looking done. McCormack didn't travel to Germany so I think he's off to Sunderland and Gardner looks to be Forrest bound

I've seen us linked with Elphick. That is one that could happen. I'd probably take him as well although I wish it was Chester.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Terry & Chester could have held back the dothraki mate. 

In all seriousness I expect a win, Andre Green is injured so I expect Callum O'hare to be on the bench. If we can get the service right I expect Hogan to score a decent amount 

Tbh, I'd be happy with a point today as I can't see us winning this time round. We have some decent players that work for each other but other than Tomlin, we don't have many with that bit of quality needed.

12 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Cambridge first home game today against Carlisle who were another playoff contender last season. Tough one and no guarantee of a result but we need to get something or the pitchforks will be coming out for Derry already. 

What has that got to do with the price of eggs in Aston?