talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Chelsea Discussion

football forum

6 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Since the whole China kerfuffle his head has never been at Chelsea. He used to be so lethal and now he wouldn't look out of place at Sunderland, I'd say there are a lot of comparisons between his dip in form and your lead at the top dropping from 14 points to 4. 

Who would be your ideal replacement?

Costa isn't a second half of the season player, even when at Atletico. There's no way of telling if the China rumors are correlated with his dip in form when he's always been a streaky player towards the later part of the season. 

Ideal? Andrea Belotti easily. Been watching him for a while and he has all the attributes to strive under Conte. Strong, hardworking, great movement off the ball, technically well rounded and good with both feet. 

Soft twat. Too rough for him? When all he does if he's not scoring goals is pick up fights and rely on dirty antics?

Sorry, but he needs to pack his bags and fuck off to China. Had enough of him. You can almost bet he will start tomorrow and I fully expect him to spend the majority of the time on his arse and throwing his arms up. 

Lukaku is looking better and better each day. At least Lukaku would actually want to be here considering he's a fan. 

9 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Soft twat. Too rough for him? When all he does if he's not scoring goals is pick up fights and rely on dirty antics?

Sorry, but he needs to pack his bags and fuck off to China. Had enough of him. You can almost bet he will start tomorrow and I fully expect him to spend the majority of the time on his arse and throwing his arms up. 

Lukaku is looking better and better each day. At least Lukaku would actually want to be here considering he's a fan. 

Can you afford £100m though :ph34r:

4 years in a row we win the FA Youth Cup. 

Hope Conte does a better job transitioning youth than a certain someone who for him, academy day results in Solanke getting a 5 minute cameo in the 90th minute of an already qualified CL game. 

Whilst the managers ultimately pick the players, in fairness, it's not necessarily any of the managers' fault, it won't be until the mentality at the club changes that we see youth getting a proper chance in the first team. 

On another note, I don't trust this group of players with seeing the season out to win the title, I think we're becoming a comedy act at the back in recent months and I'd argue nearly half the usual eleven aren't good enough in my eyes, imagine some of them playing in the Champions League next season? Hopefully (it does sound like it mind), it's going to be a big summer in terms of bringing new players in and that doesn't necessarily mean we have to spend loads of money either.

Hazard needs to shoot more.

I don't think we press well enough as a unit anymore. We're also getting pressing wrong at times which means we're getting more and more exposed on the counter which almost never happened earlier in the season.

Defending set pieces is slowly and discreetly becoming a big problem, Conte's reaction to a poorly defended corner against Southampton says a lot.

Cahill is a shite John Terry. Cahill is as equally dangerous in the opposition box as he is ours at the minute.

I think we've become too cautious and our game management is getting worse. I know we've just knocked them out the cup but I thought Spurs' game management against Palace last night was miles better than anything I've seen from us in recent weeks.

3 hours ago, carefreeluke said:

Whilst the managers ultimately pick the players, in fairness, it's not necessarily any of the managers' fault, it won't be until the mentality at the club changes that we see youth getting a proper chance in the first team. 

On another note, I don't trust this group of players with seeing the season out to win the title, I think we're becoming a comedy act at the back in recent months and I'd argue nearly half the usual eleven aren't good enough in my eyes, imagine some of them playing in the Champions League next season? Hopefully (it does sound like it mind), it's going to be a big summer in terms of bringing new players in and that doesn't necessarily mean we have to spend loads of money either.

Hazard needs to shoot more.

I don't think we press well enough as a unit anymore. We're also getting pressing wrong at times which means we're getting more and more exposed on the counter which almost never happened earlier in the season.

Defending set pieces is slowly and discreetly becoming a big problem, Conte's reaction to a poorly defended corner against Southampton says a lot.

Cahill is a shite John Terry. Cahill is as equally dangerous in the opposition box as he is ours at the minute.

I think we've become too cautious and our game management is getting worse. I know we've just knocked them out the cup but I thought Spurs' game management against Palace last night was miles better than anything I've seen from us in recent weeks.

Need to remember this is the same group that sought out the title in 2015. They know what it takes which is more important than anything at the moment. On regards to Hazard, ever since Fabregas has told him to be more selfish, he has now scored 5 in 5. I honestly believe next season will define him, as I hope he carries that selfishness into Europe. We already know he is a tremendous passer of the ball and technically brilliant, he just needs to be more ruthless and selfish in front of goal. That is the only thing holding him back. 

I agree entirely, this summer transfer window will be the most important in recent memory, and it's a sign of relief knowing that we are already looking at players to buy considering all the rumors going about. 

Our board has the tendency to think that by winning the title, papers over the cracks of the squad. 2010 and 2015 in general. After we won the double in 2010, we sold Deco, Joe Cole,  and Ballack, three absolute sound midfielders and replaced them only with Ramires, a player who's technical ability isn't even half of theirs. Not to mention we failed miserably to find a decent replacement in Carvalho. It's no fucking surprise we failed to reach expectations in the 2010/11 season. 

2015 showed a similar thing. We were utterly brilliant the first half the season, then looked onto relying on Hazard the 2nd half where 90% of our players didn't perform. Did our board take action in upgrading players? Did they strengthen? No. Again, the title win papered over the cracks of a squad out of ideas, and I predicted in July that we would struggle the 2016 season. We lost Cech, Drogba, Filipe Luis, whilst the same players who showed terrible form, continued on without providing any decent competition for them. 

If we win the title this year and potentially the double, I pray this won't paper over any cracks and you can truly see that Conte has realised the weakness in his squad and the fact we were favored immensely by not being in Europe as well as a lack of injuries to players where we do not have any depth in. I stand by what I said that we need at least 6 signings for next season if we want to compete on all fronts. 

Edited by Cicero

Strange how a player can change so much,  2014 Matic was class. Also not forgetting this award for Benfica as well the previous season.

Image result for nemanja matic melhor jogador da epoca

Struggling to find a good video from 2014 (without much perseverance mind) but there's a few moments in this one and you can see the difference for me, so much more intensity and fight back then. You have to admit he started this season a lot better but he's nowhere near the level of 2014. He's too passive for me nowadays.

Better clip:

Edited by carefreeluke

With the ball, Matic has been found out as too much one sided (Left) Take any game from 2014 compared to today and you can see opposition players targeting his preferred movement to the left. His aggressiveness, or lack of it as the months have rolled on from 2014 is an interesting one. I saw him comment on Chelsea TV near the end of Jose 2nd time at the club, stating he was trying to give away less free kicks. More selective in his pressuring around our box as it had been pointed out to him he had been guilty of the highest percentage of free kicks in our defensive third.

Maybe the better performances at the start of this season was because of the arrival of Kante, a little pressure works wonders with most players, but there is a fair argument that he is now feeling more comfortable again with Cesc only getting 10 starts all season, points to the manager preferring the two natural holding players as starters.

Edited by The Liquidator

3 hours ago, The Liquidator said:

With the ball, Matic has been found out as too much one sided (Left) Take any game from 2014 compared to today and you can see opposition players targeting his preferred movement to the left. His aggressiveness, or lack of it as the months have rolled on from 2014 is an interesting one. I saw him comment on Chelsea TV near the end of Jose 2nd time at the club, stating he was trying to give away less free kicks. More selective in his pressuring around our box as it had been pointed out to him he had been guilty of the highest percentage of free kicks in our defensive third.

Maybe the better performances at the start of this season was because of the arrival of Kante, a little pressure works wonders with most players, but there is a fair argument that he is now feeling more comfortable again with Cesc only getting 10 starts all season, points to the manager preferring the two natural holding players as starters.

Interesting mate,  although playing with higher intensity and pressing more doesn't have to result in giving away too many free kicks (not suggesting you're suggesting this by the way), it can be done correctly. I would like to see Matic play with more intensity and stop letting periods of the game pass him by.

Kante mind has been giving away too many free kicks of late.

Edited by carefreeluke

• 2 weeks later...

Think one player in particular needs more recognition and that is Cahill. Many people, myself included, continuously complain about his flaws as a centre back. 

He is no natural defender in the same respect as Puyol, Nesta, Terry, or Ferdinand, and he most certainly is the opposite of a centre back that you can trust when they are one on one with an attacker. 

He is however a defender who has exceeded expectations from his own standard.

Since 2012, the club has asked so much of him. From defending the line at Bolton, to playing against Bayern Munich in the European Cup final in the space of 5 months. 

FA Cup and League cup finals, now two Premier League titles, one of which he has captained. He is such a danger at set pieces that it completely goes unnoticed at times. A Cahill goal seems to be a regular thing nowadays. 

Much respect to him. No Terry to rely on in the starting XI anymore, yet has shown a lot of character and resilience under Conte and this new system. It remains to be seen whether Cahill will continue to captain the side, Christensen will take his spot, or Conte will want a new CB in the summer. What is certain is that lifting the PL trophy as captain should be the hallmark of Cahill's extraordinary career. 

Super Gary Cahill

He did very well this season, i remember the hate he received from our own fans after the Swansea goal and Arsenal. He became superb in the back three formation, and to be honest Cahill, Luiz and Dave were near perfect. Never a World Class defender but does his job 110% and he is always all in, also had a big big Chelsea career and just played 5 and a half seasons for the club.

14 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Think one player in particular needs more recognition and that is Cahill. Many people, myself included, continuously complain about his flaws as a centre back. 

He is no natural defender in the same respect as Puyol, Nesta, Terry, or Ferdinand, and he most certainly is the opposite of a centre back that you can trust when they are one on one with an attacker. 

He is however a defender who has exceeded expectations from his own standard.

Since 2012, the club has asked so much of him. From defending the line at Bolton, to playing against Bayern Munich in the European Cup final in the space of 5 months. 

FA Cup and League cup finals, now two Premier League titles, one of which he has captained. He is such a danger at set pieces that it completely goes unnoticed at times. A Cahill goal seems to be a regular thing nowadays. 

Much respect to him. No Terry to rely on in the starting XI anymore, yet has shown a lot of character and resilience under Conte and this new system. It remains to be seen whether Cahill will continue to captain the side, Christensen will take his spot, or Conte will want a new CB in the summer. What is certain is that lifting the PL trophy as captain should be the hallmark of Cahill's extraordinary career. 

Super Gary Cahill

Christensen is right footed and will not play the left side of our defense. I appreciate you nailing yourself to Christensen as a player, but I will be very surprised if he builds a career playing in the English league. Talented footballer, weak defender.

We shall see.

Cahill has played out of position all season and baring in mind his left foot up to now has been for standing on, the boy has done wonderfully well, something his fellow professionals saw as he was voted in the best 11 of the season.

James Milner is another this season who has excelled out of position.

Edited by The Liquidator

12 minutes ago, The Liquidator said:

Christensen is right footed and will not play the left side of our defense. I appreciate you nailing yourself to Christensen as a player, but I will be very surprised if he builds a career playing in the English league. Talented footballer, weak defender.

We shall see.

Cahill has played out of position all season and baring in mind his left foot up to now has been for standing on, the boy has done wonderfully well, something his fellow professionals saw as he was voted in the best 11 of the season.

James Milner is another this season who has excelled out of position.

Those are the most likely options.  Shift Azpi to the LCB and place Andreas at RCB could be another.

Conte obviously rates him considering there are reports he is willing to offload Zouma in favor of Christensen. Not to mention Christensen has been one of the best Centre Backs in the Bundeslega for the past 2 years now. And bare in mind, Conte has made Cahill and Luiz, two defenders who have been known for being liabilities at the back, look like redefined players. Christensen has such an elegant way of defending and reading the game, can only imagine what Conte can do to him for his progression. 

15 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Those are the most likely options.  Shift Azpi to the LCB and place Andreas at RCB could be another.

Conte obviously rates him considering there are reports he is willing to offload Zouma in favor of Christensen. Not to mention Christensen has been one of the best Centre Backs in the Bundeslega for the past 2 years now. And bare in mind, Conte has made Cahill and Luiz, two defenders who have been known for being liabilities at the back, look like redefined players. Christensen has such an elegant way of defending and reading the game, can only imagine what Conte can do to him for his progression. 

Well it all depends on who those reports are from. My sources at the club tell me Christensen left on loan as a weak\soft defender who is pretty on the ball. Granted I dont get to see him perform in Germany every week, but the times I have seen him, mainly in European games, the above discription is the same today. You have to question his standing at the club as we tried to sign Stones who is equally as soft\pretty and boy, did we dodge a bullet there.

I am also told Christensen isnt keen on returning to Chelsea. He is not convinced he will become a starter (Weak mentally which is another thing pointed at him) at the club and its been told to me dont be surprised he is used as a sweetener for a real defender, ready to start in the Premier League, during this window if that player comes available.

Look, we will see.... I will be thrilled if he becomes a regular and I will be happy for you being right.

3 minutes ago, The Liquidator said:

Well it all depends on who those reports are from. My sources at the club tell me Christensen left on loan as a weak\soft defender who is pretty on the ball. Granted I dont get to see him perform in Germany every week, but the times I have seen him, mainly in European games, the above discription is the same today. You have to question his standing at the club as we tried to sign Stones who is equally as soft\pretty and boy, did we dodge a bullet there.

I am also told Christensen isnt keen on returning to Chelsea. He is not convinced he will become a starter (Weak mentally which is another thing pointed at him) at the club and its been told to me dont be surprised he is used as a sweetener for a real defender, ready to start in the Premier League, during this window if that player comes available.

Look, we will see.... I will be thrilled if he becomes a regular and I will be happy for you being right.

Those talks are primarily from his father, who is a nonce. 

If he is good enough, which he has all the makings to be, he will play.