talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Paolo Guerrero to Boca Juniors

football forum

Not every great striker scores 30+ a season. Cantona and Bergkamps were players that only notched ~15 a season. Is Guerrero better than those players? Probably not, he wasn't when I watched him at Hamburg and the last time I do remember seeing him was when he schooled Chelsea with Corinthians during the Confed Cup. Even the great Claudio Pizarro never broke the 20 goal threshold and he is the highest scoring foreigner in Bundesliga history.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tell you what I'll read into him down to the depths. Didn't say he was an all-round bad player but not one of the undesputed greats on the world stage.

5 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

Yeah, you'll find out. If you read about Paolo Guerrero most pundits will tell you he's world class. I'm telling you that he's not but that he's a top striker.

12 minutes ago, Spike said:

Not every great striker scores 30+ a season. Cantona and Bergkamps were players that only notched ~15 a season. Is Guerrero better than those players? Probably not, he wasn't when I watched him at Hamburg and the last time I do remember seeing him was when he schooled Chelsea with Corinthians during the Confed Cup. Even the great Claudio Pizarro never broke the 20 goal threshold and he is the highest scoring foreigner in Bundesliga history.

Pretty much this. You'll never see Guerrero score 30 in any league. In my eyes, he'll score about 15 no matter where he plays. Its a weird case but he's shown an extremely high standard in the world cup qualifiers and that with good supporting players but not phenomenal. This is because he's not a poacher, he is a holding up player who will look to create chances for himself as well as others. I personally think comparisons with Luis Suarez are silly because Suarez is miles ahead but Guerrero is a top striker and he's shown that in the last few years where he is now peaking as a player. At his age as well as being from Peru, its no wonder no European teams aren't after him.

10 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

Pretty much this. You'll never see Guerrero score 30 in any league. In my eyes, he'll score about 15 no matter where he plays. Its a weird case but he's shown an extremely high standard in the world cup qualifiers and that with good supporting players but not phenomenal. This is because he's not a poacher, he is a holding up player who will look to create chances for himself as well as others. I personally think comparisons with Luis Suarez are silly because Suarez is miles ahead but Guerrero is a top striker and he's shown that in the last few years where he is now peaking as a player. At his age as well as being from Peru, its no wonder no European teams aren't after him.

The world isn't against anything from Peru you know? Peruvian players, for whatever reason, just don't have as high a profile as others. I'll admit that when you see competitions like the World Cup and your country aren't amongst the thirty-two participants it pushes you to the side. Other than that it just a case of Peruvian players not being pushed in front of us as others in this part of the world.

Just for an example to prove you're not desolate we don't see many players from the likes of Belarus or Romania over here at all. Might not be relevant but it's true. You see loads of Germans and Spaniards and Frenchmen but that's due to a number of reasons.

Is football the main sport in Peru? Anything else a prominent feature over there?

Just now, Cure said:

The world isn't against anything from Peru you know? Peruvian players, for whatever reason, just don't have as high a profile as others. I'll admit that when you see competitions like the World Cup and your country aren't amongst the thirty-two participants it pushes you to the side. Other than that it just a case of Peruvian players not being pushed in front of us as others in this part of the world.

Just for an example to prove you're not desolate we don't see many players from the likes of Belarus or Romania over here at all. Might not be relevant but it's true. You see loads of Germans and Spaniards and Frenchmen but that's due to a number of reasons.

Is football the main sport in Peru? Anything else a prominent feature over there?

Football is the main sport here. As I said though, its much easier for a Brazilian get a move to europe with no potential or no level simply because he's Brazilian. Jo is the main example that comes to mind. He's had his good years but he was never ever better than Paolo Guerrero, and other examples from other nations include Salomon Rondon, and Felipe Caicedo. The latter 2 aren't quite as good as Guerrero but they're better than Jo.

Who'd even really want to scout Peru anyway? Fly into Lima, get altitude sickness, chew on some cocoa leaves, vomit, and watch a game of youth-football. Sounds horrible. You can do that in Rio and have a trannie gang-bang with Ronaldo.

1 hour ago, nudge said:

He was already a good striker when he was playing for HSV, if it wasn't for his injuries in his debut season and his refusal to go back from Peru to Hamburg because of his fear of flying as well as other disciplinary problems and lack of professionalism afterwards, he could have become a very important part of the club. I think he just didn't adapt to living in Germany. 

I just saw this. He was good in Germany but as you said he had a fear of flying and disciplinary problems. The fear of flying I think is still there, and that comes from the fact that his uncle died in the 1986 Alianza Lima air disaster which had the base of the next Peruvian NT generation. The disciplinary problems still exist but they are nowhere near as bad as they were a decade ago. He's become a leader and knows how to push his team mates. If he plays in Germany now, he'd surprise many of the locals and in a good way.

14 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

Football is the main sport here. As I said though, its much easier for a Brazilian get a move to europe with no potential or no level simply because he's Brazilian. Jo is the main example that comes to mind. He's had his good years but he was never ever better than Paolo Guerrero, and other examples from other nations include Salomon Rondon, and Felipe Caicedo. The latter 2 aren't quite as good as Guerrero but they're better than Jo.

I remember Jô and how awful he was for Man City. He's just gone back to Brazil after playing for a Chinese team and apparently Al-Shabaab... that's the same name as a terrorist organisation.

With that example and your comment that Peruvians don't tend to meet their potential there's a well-known Brazilian example of a player who did just that. Alexandre Pato. I remember when he was being tipped as the next great player after signing for Milan. After ludicrous offers from the likes of Real Madrid and Chelsea he went off to Corinthians where he actually played with Guerrero for a period of time before going off to Sao Paulo for money and then Chelsea on a short-term loan for another filling of the pockets - I didn't even know that he did until now - and now he's playing in China with a little outlet called Tianjin Quanjian who also have the wasteman Axel Witsel in their side.

19 hours ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

All over the internet and news. It appears the interest is very serious. Not sure why he'd want to leave Rio for Buenos Aires but to play for Boca Juniors is an honour at the end of the day.

While I don't consider him world class like many others do, he's close to it. An absolutely phenomenal striker and by a mile the best player in the America's. I personally think he'd hate playing in Argentina because of how rough it can be. He's already tackled constantly in the qualifiers and usually hates it but its worse in the Argentinian league. Either way I think he'll succeed as I don't think there's many strikers with more strength than him.

Just a warning to anyone in Argentina though, if he does move to Boca, el pollo Vignolo will NOT stop talking about him.

1: Not a chance, he's a good striker, nothing more. He's about Fred's level, but nowhere near worldclass

2: Not a chance neither, he could be one of the best 10/15 in the continent but he's also far from being the absolute best like you put it.

2 minutes ago, NeymarPele said:

1: Not a chance, he's a good striker, nothing more. He's about Fred's level, but nowhere near worldclass

2: Not a chance neither, he could be one of the best 10/15 in the continent but he's also far from being the absolute best like you put it.

I've seen him and this is my opinion. The only Peruvian player even close to it. I'm not alone either.

You just hate him because Vignolo once said he's better than Higuain :P

In your defense, again I'm negating that. Top striker and phenomenal on his day but he's not world class that some make him out to be.

Also by "best in the america's" I'm obviously talking about club level. Only Alario can compare and he's not yet proven himself at a high standard like Guerrero does a few times per year.

1 minute ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

I've seen him and this is my opinion. The only Peruvian player even close to it. I'm not alone either.

You just hate him because Vignolo once said he's better than Higuain :P

In your defense, again I'm negating that. Top striker and phenomenal on his day but he's not world class that some make him out to be.

It doesn't matter "you're not alone", 10 millons mongs could still think the earth's flat and they'd still be wrong and be a pack of retards.

I have never heard him say that(I don't watch his program neither because i think they're pack of mongs and couldn't care less about their opinions),  but still i very much doubt that because Vignolo likes Higuain.  Also don't make it seem like i don't like Guerrero, i like him, and he's a good striker and one of the best in America, but he's just not THAT good.

7 minutes ago, NeymarPele said:

It doesn't matter "you're not alone", 10 millons mongs could still think the earth's flat and they'd still be wrong and be a pack of retards.

I have never heard him say that(I don't watch his program neither because i think they're pack of mongs and couldn't care less about their opinions),  but still i very much doubt that because Vignolo likes Higuain.  Also don't make it seem like i don't like Guerrero, i like him, and he's a good striker and one of the best in America, but he's just not THAT good.

Vignolo's show is just constant arguing mate and interrupting mate.

Here is the video

Said that after the 2-2 draw in Lima and he also mentioned it earlier in the show.

Don't take this as a "pundits agree with me, so I'm right" kind of thing. Its my own opinion based on what I've seen and at the end of the day it is irrelevant to how my opinions are formed. However, my point with that was that I'm not really crazy for thinking this because I've heard many others across South America say this. I've also heard Chilean pundits and other Argentinians also make this claim. Again, I'm negating it because while I think he's a top striker (pretty much the only reason Peru is still fighting to get to the WC) but I wouldn't call him world class like some do. 

He's right that Peruvian players are undervalued. Its not really anything new, its what we've all been saying for the longest time. Again though, I don't agree with him comparing him to Luis Suarez. He's very very good, but Suarez' is something else.

Vignolo for the longest time has been a fan of Paolo Guerrero, always trying to make him out as if he's the best 9 in the world but it was here when he really threw the towel and gave his honest thoughts.

16 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

Vignolo's show is just constant arguing mate and interrupting mate.

Here is the video

Said that after the 2-2 draw in Lima and he also mentioned it earlier in the show.

Don't take this as a "pundits agree with me, so I'm right" kind of thing. Its my own opinion based on what I've seen and at the end of the day it is irrelevant to how my opinions are formed. However, my point with that was that I'm not really crazy for thinking this because I've heard many others across South America say this. I've also heard Chilean pundits and other Argentinians also make this claim. Again, I'm negating it because while I think he's a top striker (pretty much the only reason Peru is still fighting to get to the WC) but I wouldn't call him world class like some do. 

He's right that Peruvian players are undervalued. Its not really anything new, its what we've all been saying for the longest time. Again though, I don't agree with him comparing him to Luis Suarez. He's very very good, but Suarez' is something else.

Vignolo for the longest time has been a fan of Paolo Guerrero, always trying to make him out as if he's the best 9 in the world but it was here when he really threw the towel and gave his honest thoughts.

He said he's no less than Higuain, not that he's better which is quite different. I still think he's an idiot, and ignorant and very biased towards Boca. Only thing he's good for is commentating matches.

Just now, NeymarPele said:

He sai, he's no less than Higuain, not that he's better which is quite different. I still think he's an idiot, and ignorant and very biased towards Boca. Only thing he's good for is commentating matches.

Yeah, but he's still comparing his level.

To be fair though comparing Higuain to Guerrero seems a bit daft. They are completely different strikers. Higuain has supporting capabilities but he's more of a scorer and finisher. Guerrero's finishing isn't THAT good and while he can score goals like any striker, he's used more as a player who holds up the ball and creates chances for himself and others. This is why he doesn't have a great scoring record at least at club level. He's in the best moment of his career right now and he's a top player. Not world class but very very good.

Archived