talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FIFA Rankings

football forum

3 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

xD never change libby.  seung-woo lee or riot!!! btw do you the reason why he was sold was because there was not a spot for him (barcelona B) the savior of Barcelona(according to libby) was sold in order to keep a young Honduran striker Lozano. im still waiting to see your riots. 

Lee Seung-Woo is going to tear Serie A apart. The fact Barcelona have sold him just shows how poorly run the club is at the moment.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've said it many times before...  The rankings are important because they're the only justifiable method we have of seeding.  They're based on form and even though they don't reflect who's better, they do reflect positive results.

The ONLY issue I have with the way the rankings work is that they go game by game and there are some nations that play tons of games compared to others.  For example in Europe we don't have that many slots to play internationals (thank god because they tend to be friendlies) and in other confederations some countries amass tons of friendlies.  So my gripe is that no points at all should be accounted for on friendless because I don't even expect or want my country to take friendless seriously seeing as they're during the club season.

6 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

Lee Seung-Woo is going to tear Serie A apart. The fact Barcelona have sold him just shows how poorly run the club is at the moment.

Barcelona have plenty of better players coming through and remember that they've placed a forced buy-back clause in the sale just the same as Real Madrid did with Morata.

Just now, Teso dos Bichos said:

buy-back clause for the first two years only. 

There are too many players in that position in the youth system and he also plays in a sensitive position where Barcelona traditionally have one of the best in the world if not the best.  Xavi Simons is just turned 14 and he's the future.

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

I've said it many times before...  The rankings are important because they're the only justifiable method we have of seeding.  They're based on form and even though they don't reflect who's better, they do reflect positive results.

The ONLY issue I have with the way the rankings work is that they go game by game and there are some nations that play tons of games compared to others.  For example in Europe we don't have that many slots to play internationals (thank god because they tend to be friendlies) and in other confederations some countries amass tons of friendlies.  So my gripe is that no points at all should be accounted for on friendless because I don't even expect or want my country to take friendless seriously seeing as they're during the club season.

Think that first part summed up perfectly at where I was getting at.

As I said, personal rankings on best teams in the world are all a matter of opinion. FIFA's is based on statistics, not who plays good football or not. We've lost 3 games in 17 and beat Uruguay and Brazil, as well as drawn Argentina. Its no shock we've moved up to 15th, and if you want to add an opinion point of view I'd be willing to bet most people would agree Peru are one of the best 20 teams in the world.

2 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

"beaten Brazil" :rofl: i still cant believe you had the audacity to call that a historic win :rofl: bottom feeder mentality 

We beat Brazil and the 1-0 scoreline goes into the books, meaning we get the boost in the rankings. Doesn't matter what occurs on the pitch, if FIFA sees something they don't like they will punish the individual, not the team.

Its an historic win whether you like it or not. We haven't beat Brazil in 40 years before that and we didn't care how we won. I don't defend Ruidiaz' decision to score a handball goal, but I do defend the win itself as it changed Peruvian football. Brazil could have been given 200 minutes and they still would not have scored. They were unbelievably dull that game.

You also have the audacity to keep calling us "bottom feeders" when we have more than 20 points and have gone through the group stages more times than Mexico in the last 10 years.

9 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Barcelona have plenty of better players coming through and remember that they've placed a forced buy-back clause in the sale just the same as Real Madrid did with Morata.

That's a matter of opinion. You've seen the others so fair enough but out of all the ones I've seen, Lee is the best and I'm positive he'll do well at Verona.

1 minute ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

Think that first part summed up perfectly at where I was getting at.

As I said, personal rankings on best teams in the world are all a matter of opinion. FIFA's is based on statistics, not who plays good football or not. We've lost 3 games in 17 and beat Uruguay and Brazil, as well as drawn Argentina. Its no shock we've moved up to 15th, and if you want to add an opinion point of view I'd be willing to bet most people would agree Peru are one of the best 20 teams in the world.

We beat Brazil and the 1-0 scoreline goes into the books, meaning we get the boost in the rankings. Doesn't matter what occurs on the pitch, if FIFA sees something they don't like they will punish the individual, not the team.

Its an historic win whether you like it or not. We haven't beat Brazil in 40 years before that and we didn't care how we won. I don't defend Ruidiaz' decision to score a handball goal, but I do defend the win itself as it changed Peruvian football. Brazil could have been given 200 minutes and they still would not have scored. They were unbelievably dull that game.

You also have the audacity to keep calling us "bottom feeders" when we have more than 20 points and have gone through the group stages more times than Mexico in the last 10 years.

Yes but I also go onto show that the method is flawed mate!

For me the FIFA Rankings are the only available and justifiable method to deliver the seedings.  But for me ONLY official matches should count and to make it more accurate, the rankings should be split into divisions where you are offered the relevant points ONLY against the sides you meet against your division.

Just now, SirBalon said:

Yes but I also go onto show that the method is flawed mate!

For me the FIFA Rankings are the only available and justifiable method to deliver the seedings.  But for me ONLY official matches should count and to make it more accurate, the rankings should be split into divisions where you are offered the relevant points ONLY against the sides you meet against your division.

I don't have an opinion on friendlies to be honest, competitive matches should definitely give you more points though.

In Peru's case that is irrelavent though as in our last friendlies we played Trinidad and Tobago, Jamaica, El Salvador and Paraguay. Don't think those 4 would improve our position much and since we won all 4, it really didn't.

2 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

That's a matter of opinion. You've seen the others so fair enough but out of all the ones I've seen, Lee is the best and I'm positive he'll do well at Verona.

I do know the youth system very well all the way to cadet level mate.  There are plenty of players coming through but because of the lethargy with this present board most of them are only now coming out from cadet level which means that they will only be ready in 5 years minimum.

I wish him the all the luck in the world...  He is very good but he was never going to get into the team.

Just now, LaSambadeStGermain said:

I don't have an opinion on friendlies to be honest, competitive matches should definitely give you more points though.

In Peru's case that is irrelavent though as in our last friendlies we played Trinidad and Tobago, Jamaica, El Salvador and Paraguay. Don't think those 4 would improve our position much and since we won all 4, it really didn't.

They give you the same points so they do count as much as any international played.  Friendlies shouldn't offer any points at all.  Take for example Brazil and how many friendlies they play!!!  They play triple the amount of other nations.

Just now, SirBalon said:

They give you the same points so they do count as much as any international played.  Friendlies shouldn't offer any points at all.  Take for example Brazil and how many friendlies they play!!!  They play triple the amount of other nations.

Again, I don't have an opinion on that. You do have a respectable view because what you say makes a lot of sense, but personally myself I don't care on the matter.

Brazil are in first deservedly though. They've won 9 in a row. I believe thats a record in CONMEBOL qualifying.

Again, I don't have an opinion on that. You do have a respectable view because what you say makes a lot of sense, but personally myself I don't care on the matter.

Brazil are in first deservedly though. They've won 9 in a row. I believe thats a record in CONMEBOL qualifying.

How can you have an opinion on the rankings and then go onto say that you don't have an opinion on how a part of the rankings work?

You're confusing and selective.

Just now, SirBalon said:

How can you have an opinion on the rankings and then go onto say that you don't have an opinion on how a part of the rankings work?

You're confusing and selective.

Because I don't mind friendlies. They mean nothing, but in Europe they have some importance to determine seeding. So if the 2 teams agree and really want the prize, it could serve to some use. Perhaps if that wasn't the case I'd be fully on board with you, for now it doesn't matter to me if they count or not.

2 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

Because I don't mind friendlies. They mean nothing, but in Europe they have some importance to determine seeding. So if the 2 teams agree and really want the prize, it could serve to some use. Perhaps if that wasn't the case I'd be fully on board with you, for now it doesn't matter to me if they count or not.

What are you talking about? xD

They have importance everywhere!  The FIFA Rankings are the FIFA Rankings and they point the same in every confederation!

Like I said...  Divisions are the answer!

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

they do.

7 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

they don't. 

Friendlies are worth 1 ranking point. Different levels of international competition give you more points. 

Qualifiers give you 2.5.

Confederations Cup - 3 pts.

FInals competitions - 4 pts.

Just now, SirBalon said:

What are you talking about? xD

They have importance everywhere!  The FIFA Rankings are the FIFA Rankings and they point the same in every confederation!

Like I said...  Divisions are the answer!

I meant friendlies. South Americans vs South Americans in friendlies have 0 relevance, where as in Europe you can use it to improve your ranking and get better seeding. Can't say its unfair either because both teams have to agree to it! That's why I don't really think about it.

If you really want an answer them I'm closer to agreeing with you than FIFA on this.

Just now, SirBalon said:

They don't give points for friendlies in Latin America?

They do, but what are you going to use it for?

Its really just practice here. Its like that in most of the world too but there are exceptions.

1 minute ago, Stan said:

they don't. 

You're right...  But they shouldn't give any points at all is the point I'm trying to make.

If the table was ranked into divisions maybe first 5, second 5 etc... etc... with only points given for when you face one of your own or more points given in that situation, then it would be fairer and would show a truer reflection of who's better.

They do, but what are you going to use it for?

Its really just practice here. Its like that in most of the world too but there are exceptions.

What the hell are you on about!

Who gives a shit how seriously you take them!  Have you ever seen Italy take a friendly seriously?  Very few nations take them seriously and fewer fans.

If they give points there and here, then they're just as important.  How you can say you don't have an opinion on something you have an opinion on is confusing and odd.

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

take a look at this please @SirBalon and @LaSambadeStGermain

work it out yourself but friendlies do count and are the lowest priority, so to speak, whoever the friendly is played between.

https://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/procedure/men.html

I did as you posted the fact they do have points mate.  Looked it up...  But for me they shouldn't be pointed at all.  Anyhow...  I was taking @LaSambadeStGermain on his strange statement where he's defending the FIFA Rankings on the whole and then doesn't have an opinion on a part of how they work.

That's like me saying I don't have an opinion on the offside rule where it's a part of football, but I've decided that part is of no importance to me for some strange reason. xD

Just now, SirBalon said:

What the hell are you on about!

Who gives a shit how seriously you take them!  Have you ever seen Italy take a friendly seriously?  Very few nations take them seriously and fewer fans.

If they give points there and here, then they're just as important.  How you can say you don't have an opinion on something you have an opinion on is confusing and odd.

Calm down... not everyone is going to think the same way as you.

No one takes friendlies seriously, but there are moments where perhaps a team would want a better seeding. This doesn't occur in South America, as we don't have groups in qualifying. So why should we care?

And as for your last sentence, don't be daft. I have an opinion on the rankings and its system, its a flawed system that can get it right sometimes for a few nations. I don't care about whether friendlies count or not because not only is it lowest priority, but there are occasions when in Europe you might (MIGHT) want to win a friendly for better seeding. So give me a good reason why I should care if friendlies count or not with those 2 things in mind?

Calm down... not everyone is going to think the same way as you.

No one takes friendlies seriously, but there are moments where perhaps a team would want a better seeding. This doesn't occur in South America, as we don't have groups in qualifying. So why should we care?

And as for your last sentence, don't be daft. I have an opinion on the rankings and its system, its a flawed system that can get it right sometimes for a few nations. I don't care about whether friendlies count or not because not only is it lowest priority, but there are occasions when in Europe you might (MIGHT) want to win a friendly for better seeding. So give me a good reason why I should care if friendlies count or not with those 2 things in mind?

Because you could get seeded in the World Cup? xD

Daft? xD

3 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Because you could get seeded in the World Cup? xD

Daft? xD

Jesus wept you're impossible. Learn to read my posts to its fullest.

You have an excellent football knowledge, better than anyone on this forum - but Storts and Dodger were right. You are arrogant and let that get to your head. I'm not having a pop but its my big criticism of you.

Not everyone is going to think the same way as you. We all have different ways to view football or even logic in general, I don't think you see that.

Archived