talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Which England U20 Players Will Make It To The Top?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
2 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

World champions and proof that English coaching at youth level is superior to all others :ph34r:

But which players do you think will go on to become Premier League regulars and who could make it to the senior England side?

Lookman, Solanke, Onomah, Calvert-Lewin, Dowell I think will become regulars in the league.

Not sure about making it to the England side - maybe Lookman and Solanke. 

If you're talking top as in just a Premier League player then a few, I'd say. 

From our 5, I doubt Connolly will, could see him taking a step down and then rebuilding like Shane Duffy did. 

Jonjoe Kenny really should be but it all depends on opportunities. I want him starting games next season whilst Coleman is out. 

I'm not sure on Dowell. Technically very good but it's other parts of his game which are lacking at the moment. 

Lookman absolutely should be. 

If Calvert-Lewin progresses as well as he has been then he will too. 

Onomah could do but would need to get away from Spurs like Mason, Livermore, Huddlestone, Carroll etc

Walker-Peters was good behind Lookman. And was played out of position. Stick him at a lower level club in the league with games and he'd improve. 

Lewis Cook has to start games for Bournemouth next year, surely?

Ojo is an odd one, dreadful one minute but then he can throw in a performance like the second half of the semi final when arsed. 

• Subscriber

Lookman and Kenny should at least become first team regulars for us. Dowell and Connelly still have time to develop, we'll see how they do in the coming years. Calvert-Lewin I'm still not sure about but could definitely become a squad player for us, possibly more. 

Don't know enough about the other players as I've seen them play much less than the Everton lads and I'm hesitant to make judgements off the back of a single tournament, but Solanke stands out as a player. 

Kenny and Lookman should be in and around the Everton side next season, they couldn't be at a better club either because Koeman likes giving youngsters a chance.

Woodman will make it with us if he sticks around, I think he'll go out on loan again next season though. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think Lookman is the biggest shout but they all seriously need to look at getting more minutes under there belt. Solanke, Ojo, Woodman, Kenny and Calvert-Lewis in particular need a serious think about if taking one step back by spending a season at a smaller club will be two steps forward in the long term.

• Subscriber

Unless we sign a right back I expect Kenny and Holgate will act as our right-backs until Coleman returns from injury, then I can see Kenny spending the rest of the season out on loan if it turns out he's not quite ready to fight for a first team spot with us, no reason to believe he can't do that though.

Calvert-Lewin looks to be near the forefront of Koeman's plans for the future based on how many minutes he got towards the end of last season but he's certainly not a first choice striker for us yet. Depending on who we bring in to replace Lukaku, I'd expect Calvert-Lewin to make a fair few substitute appearances as second or third choice striker so I'd be very surprised to see him leave the club on loan or permanently.

Lookman should be getting plenty of game time this season, although if we keep the same shape with 2 deep midfielders and three playing behind the striker, he's potentially competing for game time against Klaassen, Sigurdsson, Barkley, Bolasie, Mirallas, Calvert-Lewin and Sandro.

Lewis Cook will make it no problem. Classiest player we'd produced for some time and our loss will be Bournemouth's gain. At least for the short term. I expect him to really make an impression this season and believe that's a firm reason why they won't go back for Jack Wilshere.

Archived