talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Grenfell Tower Block Disaster

football forum

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I highly doubt council negligence will be buried when Southwark council were fined £570k 8 years ago when 6 people died in a big tower block fire. But we shouldn't let that get in the way of a chance of a good conspiracy theory to emerge :ph34r:

Concrete buildings don't go up in flames. It's the plastic that spreads it so big. This cladding has caused big tower block fires in Denmark, Germany, France, China and has been made illegal in Dubai after a spate of fires.

If it is cladding that made the building unsafe then like Harriet Harman just said, regulation is too far behind modern products.

• Subscriber

The elections over, time to stop scoring points for a while I think. 

P.S. maybe we should consider renaming this section "News and Politics" or something instead. Stuff like this and the Notre Dame incident last week aren't necessarily anything to do with politics. 

• Administrator

1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

The elections over, time to stop scoring points for a while I think. 

P.S. maybe we should consider renaming this section "News and Politics" or something instead. Stuff like this and the Notre Dame incident last week aren't necessarily anything to do with politics. 

fair point to be honest. 

I've read that the block was recently refurbished with cladding which was highly flammable and cost in the region of £10m apparently. It's scary to think a building like that had no sprinkler system in place. It's looking like one massive cock-up and it's cost lives.

So very sad R.I.P.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

I've read that the block was recently refurbished with cladding which was highly flammable and cost in the region of £10m apparently. It's scary to think a building like that had no sprinkler system in place. It's looking like one massive cock-up and it's cost lives.

So very sad R.I.P.

i know it might sound like a crass thing to say but there's huge costs involved in installing a sprinkler system in to a building (we've just installed some in ours at a hefty price across 3 blocks). It involves having a huge water storage tank which needs to be maintained and there's potential for it to be misused and vandalised which has insurance implications too. Obviously lives are more important and safety of residents is too so don't get me wrong and I'm not trying to make excuses for businesses not having sprinklers in.

But if there are no sprinklers in place, other safety precautions should be in place and these clearly haven't been met (mentioned in one of my posts earlier). The main thing being the alarm systems and the inability for the fire to be contained in one flat; a catalyst being that poor form of cladding which accentuates a fire in these horrible conditions. 

We had a fire in of our blocks (14th floor at the top) because someone inside overloaded electricals, got too hot and something caught fire (presumably carpet or soft furnishings). There was tens of thousands of pounds worth of damage BUT it was confined to ONE flat. There was other damage (only smoke) to a neighbouring flat but that was minor compared to the main flat. The important thing being it was contained and the reason for this was more than adequate surfacing on the outside which diverts the fire upwards and in to the air/wind as opposed to across the whole of the block and in to other flats. 

1 minute ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Going by the maths, 78 accounted for and 12 dead, thus far. We're surely looking at hundreds of dead? This is a catastrophic event.

Thought 78 was the number in hospital?

None with burns, all with lung problems 

The chief fire officer said that several people are unaccounted for and he doesn't think they will find them.

He will know a precise figure of those missing, it seems strange they wouldn't reveal it but maybe that's about offering a bit of hope in the mean time.

Stories of people having to climb over bodies in the stairwell. Horrific.

• Subscriber

"Unaccounted for" probably means "didn't get out of the building" for 90% or more of them if we're being realistic. A very upsetting and, by the sounds of it, avoidable incident here and I dread to see the final fatality count.

• Administrator

in a block where there are 120-130 flats, that's roughly 450-500 people if they were in their flats. Given the time of night, you'd think most were. Maybe even more than 500 and sadly there may be many children who could have lost their lives:( 

What a tragedy for all those involved, for all those that survived it and for those that didn't

Such a terrible thing to happen and all possibly through sheer neglect and poor standards

I hope all those involved that failed to do their jobs are given the stiffest possible jail terms if found guilty

RIP

Will be interesting to see a full investigation into this. Less because of what initially caused the fire and more because of why it spread so fast as that could lead to changes to a lot of buildings. Can't imagine how it must've been to die in a fire like that having to contemplate jumping from a window. RIP.

It's the fumes that get you and knock you out. They're going to be finding people dead in bed no doubt who never woke up. Burning is horrific but more often than not mercifully they're out by the time they burn. 

I don't buy the fridge, I've still got a feeling on a grow being responsible 

I haven't been able to watch this on the news. Real gut wrenching stuff. Knowing those people on the top floors looking out knowing that there death was impending is just horrible.

My father's a constructional engineer and he's been suspicious that something like this would happen for years. He's explained to me before how flats like this one are insulated for heat to shoot up, and it wouldn't have been too much of an inconvience for it to be prevented when these flats were built. He's seen it before with three story flats but obviously nothing on this magnititute but as we live in a reactive society it's taken something like this for a review to be conducted.

The unofficial rumoured death toll on the ground is between 100 and 150.

I think they're clinging on to this "The death toll is 17 and will rise" a bit too long if true, they will know how many people are missing and presumed dead. 

Archived