talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Formula One (The Video Game)

football forum

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Just got my second win in the McLaren on Master in Malaysia. Qualified 2nd on the grid with a perfect lap. Ricciardo was about 6 tenths faster than me and everyone else though.

Didn't get the best start, ended up 4th behind Ricciardo, Verstappen and Hamilton with Rosberg and Vettel also pressuring from behind. Me and Verstappen were on a Soft-Hard-Hard strategy while Ricciardo and Hamilton were on Medium-Medium-Hard, so Verstappen and I both came in early, Vettel came out of the pits a lap later so I had to go around the outside of him and overtook Verstappen as we were picking our way through those that were running long. Ricciardo and Hamilton made their stops a bit later on and Hamilton ended up behind me with Ricciardo retaining the lead.

Then came the safety car which was good timing for me as I was on the slower Hard at this stage compared to Hamilton and Ricciardo running Mediums, so their advantage was neutralised and after the safety car came in, I had to battle hard with Hamilton for several laps until his tyres seemed to go off and Verstappen overtook him. I was chipping away at Ricciardo's lead and had it down to 1.4s before he pitted for new tyres, but as my engineer had told me rain was coming soon, I stuck it out on my Hard tyres for as long as possible, I was slow but as everyone else had pitted for new slicks, I had a good 20 seconds on them and just hung on until it was time to switch to Inters.

Last 20 laps we were all on Intermediates and I slowly built my lead from 20 seconds to 35 seconds by the end. Last few laps the rain got heavy so it was not easy but with that gap I was able to cruise to the win.

100% race distance, Master difficulty, second win in a midfield car B|.

Nice. I like the idea but I don't know if I'd have the patience for a 100% race. 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
2 minutes ago, JOSHBRFC said:

Nice. I like the idea but I don't know if I'd have the patience for a 100% race. 

It's not too bad when you get into it unless you're romping away to an easy win in which case it's just boring. It's just the time commitment of at least probably three hours per race if you're going to do all the practices qualifying and full race distance.

• Subscriber

Got my third win with McLaren yesterday in the US, after having the worst race yet in Japan where I would have won but for back markers being a joke.

Qualified on pole in Texas, two tenths clear of Hamilton and Rosberg. Ended up just keeping the lead at the start, was chased hard by Hamilton and Ricciardo until Ricciardo broke down. Hamilton was matching me and was within a second keeping me under pressure but I eventually pulled out a four second gap from him before the pit stops. He came in a lap before but didn't gain much time because he got stuck behind Massa who hadn't pitted yet. After that pit stop I was able to blow him out of the water all of a sudden and pulled the gap to about 10 seconds. He pitted before me in the second round of stops and got a few seconds back but lapped cars kept coming out of the pits behind me and in front of him which cost him loads of time and I pulled away to 15 seconds ahead and cruised to the flag.

I led every lap but because of the gap it didn't get boring even after 56 laps :D. Three more races then I can restart the career and play most races on Legend difficulty. Currently I only think I need to downgrade to Master for Spain, Azerbaijan and Belgium, and Expert for Monaco.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

@Cannabis How are you finding this a few weeks in? Worth the upgrade from 2016 in the long run or do you find the novelty has worn off and you'd be having just as much fun with 2016 now you've seen the new features?

Thinking about picking this up but not sure about the time investment because I find it hard to enjoy non-100% race distance.

• 2 months later...
  • Subscriber

Got the new game for Christmas. Just on Practice One in Australia in the Toro Rosso. So far I have to say I like it, I feel pretty fast already without feeling like I'm taking risks.

Can I just say how happy I am after 12 years of playing F1 games that they've finally used a 1-100 slider for the AI difficulty. HALLELUJAH!

• 2 months later...
  • Subscriber
49 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Been doing a career with Toro Rosso, managed to keep inside the Top 10 for every race in the first half of the season bar Hungary where I had to retire the car. I'm really pleased with how things are going on the whole but that last race has left me pretty deflated. I was running in 11th on the perfect strategy following a Safety Car and I hit the back of Hulkenburg who slams on into Turn One and that's it, I'm being overtaken left, right and centre. I did a lap without a front wing, pulled into the pits but came out at the back and 23 seconds off the pace. Decided to retire to save the engine. 

Hoping to move to Red Bull at the end of the season but unless I score race wins it seems (which is not going to happen) then they don't seem interested. 

How's your career going @RandoEFC?

I've managed two practice sessions 😂. To be honest I love the physics and the new car development system, I'll definitely sink some hours into this probably when the actual season starts. Finally getting bored of Ultimate Team.

• 9 months later...
  • Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Yeah love it mate, did a season with Toro Rosso and finished midtable, wanted to move to Red Bull but ended up getting offered Bottas' seat so went for Mercedes. Done the Drivers/Constructors double in my two years there.

*Just realised that I'm still on 2017, not the new one. Hardly anyone moved teams so didn't fancy getting the update.

Which console do you play it on? On the PS4, it annoys me that no drivers move team, only you as the player, find this annoying to be honest. 

• Subscriber
24 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Xbox One, it's the same there tbh. Nobody moves!

The next step has to be drivers moving teams, no point in Gasly and Charles being stuck at TR and Sauber.

• 3 months later...
  • Subscriber

Booted this back up as it's the Easter holidays and I have two weeks to fill so I've started a new career on F1 2017 with Sauber. We'll see if I get past two races for once.

In other news, they've announced that the new game F1 2019 will be released three months earlier than previous versions on June. The major new feature, while not explicitly confirmed, is the inclusion of Formula 2! I've always wanted to see a Football Manager style career mode where you can choose to start in F3 or something and work your way up into F1, and this is a step in this direction. The dream is a game where drivers move teams, retire and get replaced by new young drivers but that's always going to be a pipe dream probably with the licences. It is however, rumoured that there is a feature where you battle a rival in F2 then you both move into F1 and continue your rivalry which sounds cool.

• Subscriber
On 08/04/2019 at 13:02, RandoEFC said:

Booted this back up as it's the Easter holidays and I have two weeks to fill so I've started a new career on F1 2017 with Sauber. We'll see if I get past two races for once.

In other news, they've announced that the new game F1 2019 will be released three months earlier than previous versions on June. The major new feature, while not explicitly confirmed, is the inclusion of Formula 2! I've always wanted to see a Football Manager style career mode where you can choose to start in F3 or something and work your way up into F1, and this is a step in this direction. The dream is a game where drivers move teams, retire and get replaced by new young drivers but that's always going to be a pipe dream probably with the licences. It is however, rumoured that there is a feature where you battle a rival in F2 then you both move into F1 and continue your rivalry which sounds cool.

I emailed codemasters with a few questions, they got back to me 4 months later lol. My questions revolved around drivers moving around, team-to-team, and having F2 and F3, with driver developments etc. Also to have young stars who make their way up and stuff.

They said drivers moving teams and driver progression would be a standard procedure if they had their way. But they can't do this due to drivers sponsorship's and contracts, so if you join a team and move on yourself, the previous driver will rejoin. 

Shame that drivers don't retire etc, but contracts are contracts I suppose.

Archived