talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Sack Race 2017/18

10 minutes ago, Stan said:

pretty sure the goals they've conceded aren't just down to Butland. 

No but he’s hardly covered himself in glory mate. His problem is that he doesn’t actually save that many shots. Apart from that he’s basically Joe Hart. 

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

Conte now priced at 1/5 on Sky Bet. That would see Chelsea become the 9th club to sack their manager along with Swansea, Everton, Leicester, West Ham, West Brom, Watford, Stoke and Crystal Palace.

The only teams outside the top six not to have changed manager since the season began are Newcastle, Burnley, Bournemouth, Southampton, Brighton and Huddersfield.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Still waiting for number 9, it has been a whopping 38 days since Marco Silva was sacked by Watford.

Odds that no manager will leave his post now before the end of the season are 10/1.

Wenger has the shortest odds he's probably ever had at 5/1, with Conte edging closer to what looks an inevitable Chelsea divorce at 6/1. The favourite, however, remains Alan Pardew, priced at 4/9.

According to the bookies, unhappy fans of Southampton (Pellegrino 12/1), Everton (Allardyce 16/1) and West Ham (Moyes 25/1) will be waiting a while yet before seeing the hot seat vacated at their respective clubs.

• Subscriber
On 3/5/2018 at 19:09, RandoEFC said:

Still waiting for number 9, it has been a whopping 38 days since Marco Silva was sacked by Watford.

Odds that no manager will leave his post now before the end of the season are 10/1.

Wenger has the shortest odds he's probably ever had at 5/1, with Conte edging closer to what looks an inevitable Chelsea divorce at 6/1. The favourite, however, remains Alan Pardew, priced at 4/9.

According to the bookies, unhappy fans of Southampton (Pellegrino 12/1), Everton (Allardyce 16/1) and West Ham (Moyes 25/1) will be waiting a while yet before seeing the hot seat vacated at their respective clubs.

My mate put a tenner on no manager to get sacked the day before Watford beat Chelsea 4-1 at about 17/1. He thought he'd lost it after that game but he hasn't, and it looks like he might well win after all. I'm convinced Pardew is going to buy himself some time this weekend with a performance against us. It'd be so Leicester.

This will sound utterly ridiculous to people on here (and I agree for what it's worth) but if we'd lost our last two, which we very nearly did, Puel would've been very close apparently. With it being the bottom side we play this weekend, a loss there makes you wonder if we'd pull the trigger again.

I'm half tempted to back that actually. His popularity here has nosedived although I think that's as much our fans being unreasonable as much as anything. 66/1 though...

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Cannabis said:

Why? It was only two minutes you were rimming him?

He can't be that bad so soon surely? 

1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

It would be utterly pathetic if Leicester sacked Puel already. 

I do think in the last month or so Puel's been pretty crap in all honesty, he's got the majority of his decisions wrong.

But if we're sacking him on the basis of one bad run after he's taken us up the league then we'd be viewed as a joke, and deservedly so. 

Don't think he's been helped by the Mahrez situation but I do worry that there's a player power issue here and he's falling victim to it.

I think if we do sack him it'll prove we've totally lost our heads as a club and have major delusions of grandeur. That we've become exactly what we exposed so well in 2016 - complacent, arrogant, impatient and without direction. It's a poor run but it isn't a disaster at all and he's not exactly had that much time to put his own proper spin on the team.

I think we've hit that final sprint point where (unless you can bring in somebody like Guus Hiddink immediately) replacing a Manager now is borderline suicide. Norwich City, Fulham, Middlesborough in recent years all spring to mind.

I'm sure Southampton and West Brom fans will disagree mind.

• Subscriber

Pellegrino is the 9th casualty of the season. He's been pretty lucky to last this long really given the expectations at Southampton and the potential of the club and how long they've spent lingering in the bottom six.

Pardew 1/8

Nobody 10/1

Conte 11/1

Moyes 14/1

Wenger 16/1

You can actually get 33/1 on The Next Southampton Manager to be the next one sacked, the Saints employing and sacking another manager before the end of the season apparently more likely than the majority of existing managers, including Puel, Hodgson and Wagner.

• 3 weeks later...

Darren Moore in charge for now. Another opportunity for a BAME coach. Keep them up Darren or you’re gone.

i hope I never see Pardew in football again or talking about it on the TV. Just fuck off abroad Pardew and spend your millions in compensation you’ve had in the last few years. WBA deserve all that’s happened to them for appointing that dinosaur. 

2 hours ago, Marc said:

Darren Moore in charge for now. Another opportunity for a BAME coach. Keep them up Darren or you’re gone.

i hope I never see Pardew in football again or talking about it on the TV. Just fuck off abroad Pardew and spend your millions in compensation you’ve had in the last few years. WBA deserve all that’s happened to them for appointing that dinosaur. 

I agree with the talking about it on TV part. There to me was something fundamentally wrong that he got to criticise Frank de Boer when we were on television as a pundit given that the likes of Chung Yong-Lee where his fucking signings. I also think for him to Manage again he will have to look at a Sunderland, Hull, Birmingham etc and I can't see that working out, so going abroad would be best for him.

However I disagree with the last sentence as I can see how he charmed the owners. He never was once in the relegation zone with Crystal Palace (a fact that overshadows he was taking us down) and he did further a Tony Pulis team for eighteen months. Everything there was in place for him to successful with the blend of experience and expensive signings. I'm surprised by how much he has actually fucked it up.

• Subscriber
Just now, The Palace Fan said:

I can't believe I'm saying this but a combination of Pearson and Shakespeare for next season could be there best option.

They'd be ideal. I get comments about Pearson's temperament but I talk these two up because they're long-term builders rather than short-term plasterers.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

I can't believe I'm saying this but a combination of Pearson and Shakespeare for next season could be there best option.

you're not wrong. Both have worked at the club before as well if I remember correctly. 

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, Stan said:

you're not wrong. Both have worked at the club before as well if I remember correctly. 

It's where they met.

It's also where Shakespeare first met Michael Appleton, who is now our assistant manager courtesy of Shakespeare in the summer, who is also favourite for the West Brom job.

I quite like Appleton I do. I think he's cut from similar cloth to those two.

Archived