• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Sack Race 2017/18

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
4 hours ago, Stan said:

Bournemouth are bound to get their first win this season against us next week. We've got a poor record there - the only team we've not beaten (other than Arsenal) since we came up a few years ago.

Bournemouth beat Brighton a couple of weeks ago.

It's a big game. I think if we win we'll go and back it up with a few more and be fine. If we draw it's still in the balance. If we lose we are under pressure. West Brom at home follows and we never, ever beat them at home. It's a ridiculous record.

• Subscriber
On 17/09/2017 at 7:56 PM, RandoEFC said:

Sunderland H

Bournemouth H

Apollon H

Burnley H

Brighton A

Really should be five wins. If we're far off that I'll start entertaining the possibility of Koemans position being under threat.

Win, Win, Draw, Loss.

I'd fancy Brighton to beat us comfortably to be honest unless a change is made. It's early in the season but we erred over Martinez for a long time and it turned out the nay-sayers were right all along.

Today's performance was the clincher for me, if we'd have gone down unlucky 1-0 with some positives then it's a different story, but Koeman today yet again starts with two defensive midfielders at home and only one player capable of providing a wide threat.

This is his squad now, Baines, Jagielka, Coleman are the only notable players in the squad that aren't his signings or youth products. Still, not a single player looks like they want to play for him. His handling of Ross Barkley has no doubt contributed to our best academy product since Rooney deciding to run his contract down and leave. His handling of Niasse in the public eye was unfair on the player and resulted in embarrassment for himself when he had to bring him on to arguably save his job last week. He has constantly blamed the board for not getting a striker or centre back or whatever, but the targets they have got for him include the likes of Williams and Martina. 

Martinez was a poor manager who refused to change, but he bought into the club and enthused the fans (at least early on) so it was hard to turn on him. Koeman has seen us as a stepping stone to bigger things from early on and come across as ungrateful for the opportunity he's had at Everton more than once. It's not hard for me to give this verdict because he's just not really a likeable character.

Koeman is now 4/9 with Sky Bet as Next Manager to Leave. @LFCMadLad may have pulled a blinder putting that money on a few weeks ago as I'll happily eat my words and see Koeman leave the club.

Sky Bet have also opened a market for Next Permanent Everton Manager. No clear favourite there understandably, but Unsworth 8/1 favourite with Howe 10/1. The fans probably unrealistic shout Carlo Ancelotti is 20/1.

1 hour ago, Aaroncpfc said:

Go on then. Who out there would be willing to leave there current club that's better than Koeman?

It's not my job to find the club a new manager when the current one is on his arse. 

EI don't see anybody coming in that will dramatically improve the situation as it is right now. Everton should be very careful what they wish for.

There's no window open, there will be no striker coming in (which is what they desperately needed all summer), Coleman, Bolasie and Barkley will still be out injured...

Koeman led Everton in his first year to their highest place in the past three seasons and secured European Football. It is no shock they aren't scoring goals with as blunt an attack as they have right now. Confidence is low because they have not got any momentum going and the Europa League is having a detrimental impact on the squad for me.

But he deserves time. He is a good manager and I think he is the best option in this current moment.

1 hour ago, HK85 said:

It's not my job to find the club a new manager when the current one is on his arse. 

So we can safely come to the conclusion you cannot think of anybody or you do not want to admit there is nobody.

One of the biggest criticisms people have for Koeman is the money he has spent. I don't think those people recognise he has a net spend of fourty million over two summers. If the Barkley and Niasse deals had gone through on deadline day they would have been in profit.

They've had a difficult start of fixtures, there is nobody realistically available to replace the manager, they will comfortably get themselves out the predicament they're in, they have a good structure in place from the academy upwards with a manager that gives youth a chance. There is no point unsettling all that. If Everton do underachieve this season then it would be reevaluating the situation when there should be a better pool of managers to choose from but sacking him now just seems very silly. People that want him gone are thinking with their heart and not their head.

22 minutes ago, Lucas said:

EI don't see anybody coming in that will dramatically improve the situation as it is right now. Everton should be very careful what they wish for.

There's no window open, there will be no striker coming in (which is what they desperately needed all summer), Coleman, Bolasie and Barkley will still be out injured...

Koeman led Everton in his first year to their highest place in the past three seasons and secured European Football. It is no shock they aren't scoring goals with as blunt an attack as they have right now. Confidence is low because they have not got any momentum going and the Europa League is having a detrimental impact on the squad for me.

But he deserves time. He is a good manager and I think he is the best option in this current moment.

Koeman just got us back to where we should have been when Martinez lost control. Finishing 7th with the teams in this league isn't that big of a deal. 

The "careful what you wish for" is often thrown around in these situations from neutrals with not much understanding of how things are (not a dig, seen it with Leicester and Claudio, Arsenal and Wenger). 

I "wish" we won more than the 5 away games in all comps since Koeman arrived. I "wish" he took the cup competitions seriously. 

I think I read he has made something like 7 half time subs so far this season. He doesn't know what team to play. Had a full pre-season and even a few pre-Europa games to figure out what's best and he still continually gets it wrong. 

7 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

So we can safely come to the conclusion you cannot think of anybody or you do not want to admit there is nobody.

One of the biggest criticisms people have for Koeman is the money he has spent. I don't think those people recognise he has a net spend of fourty million over two summers. If the Barkley and Niasse deals had gone through on deadline day they would have been in profit.

They've had a difficult start of fixtures, there is nobody realistically available to replace the manager, they will comfortably get themselves out the predicament they're in, they have a good structure in place from the academy upwards with a manager that gives youth a chance. There is no point unsettling all that. If Everton do underachieve this season then it would be reevaluating the situation when there should be a better pool of managers to choose from but sacking him now just seems very silly. People that want him gone are thinking with their heart and not their head.

OK, I'll play the game. If I had a choice I wouldn't go for a 'name'. Likes of Ancelotti, who we could afford, whilst more than good enough wouldn't really do anything here. Another payday, off in a year or two. I'd prefer a younger manager wanting to make the step up and prove something in the game. Nagelsmann apparently wanted by Bayern, the sort of young and hungry manager we should go for. Even someone like Eddie Howe would do more with this squad than the output we get from Koeman. 

A dire defeat at home against Burnley and he's probably preparing himself for another holiday in Portugal on the international break. He doesn't give a fuck about his reputation or what he does as a manager. Done it all as a player. 

What youth? He's playing Cuco Martina at right-back and Jonjoe Kenny, who's better, wasn't even in the squad on the weekend. Ademola Lookman, the best youth player we have doesn't get a sniff and is looking to leave. We have two defensive midfielders on the pitch every week and Tom Davies, someone who's willing to get on the ball and drive, on the bench. Calvert-Lewin is only playing because we missed out on signing Giroud and Costa.  

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, HK85 said:

Koeman just got us back to where we should have been when Martinez lost control. Finishing 7th with the teams in this league isn't that big of a deal. 

The "careful what you wish for" is often thrown around in these situations from neutrals with not much understanding of how things are (not a dig, seen it with Leicester and Claudio, Arsenal and Wenger). 

I "wish" we won more than the 5 away games in all comps since Koeman arrived. I "wish" he took the cup competitions seriously. 

I think I read he has made something like 7 half time subs so far this season. He doesn't know what team to play. Had a full pre-season and even a few pre-Europa games to figure out what's best and he still continually gets it wrong. 

OK, I'll play the game. If I had a choice I wouldn't go for a 'name'. Likes of Ancelotti, who we could afford, whilst more than good enough wouldn't really do anything here. Another payday, off in a year or two. I'd prefer a younger manager wanting to make the step up and prove something in the game. Nagelsmann apparently wanted by Bayern, the sort of young and hungry manager we should go for. Even someone like Eddie Howe would do more with this squad than the output we get from Koeman. 

A dire defeat at home against Burnley and he's probably preparing himself for another holiday in Portugal on the international break. He doesn't give a fuck about his reputation or what he does as a manager. Done it all as a player. 

What youth? He's playing Cuco Martina at right-back and Jonjoe Kenny, who's better, wasn't even in the squad on the weekend. Ademola Lookman, the best youth player we have doesn't get a sniff and is looking to leave. We have two defensive midfielders on the pitch every week and Tom Davies, someone who's willing to get on the ball and drive, on the bench. Calvert-Lewin is only playing because we missed out on signing Giroud and Costa.  

All of this.

Koemans man management is being made to look horrendous as well between the Barkley and Niasse situations now Lookman too. If we're getting results it's justified taking the hard line with some situations but now he just looks a mug.

The bottom line is he's brought in all of these players and doesn't know what his best team is or how to fit them into the side which just demonstrates piss poor planning, the blame for which is shared with Steve Walsh it must be said. Either that or Koeman actually planned to line up with no width or pace and two defensive midfielders even at home against the 6th placed team in Cyprus.

I also can't necessarily name a specific replacement but I guarantee if Koeman was sacked and Unsworth put in charge for the next 2-3 games we'd see the players looking like they know what the fuck they're meant to be doing on the pitch again which would be a nice start.

4 hours ago, HK85 said:

I don't think it matters you can afford Ancelotti. We could probably afford him too given how much we spend getting rid of managers. It doesn't mean he will join you. Given his resume he will have much larger ambitions than seventh. As for Eddie Howe would he necessarily be any better? Bournemouth haven't been impressive this season and he's spent a lot of money. You've literally named more young players than most clubs in the Premier League can too.

22 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

I don't think it matters you can afford Ancelotti. We could probably afford him too given how much we spend getting rid of managers. It doesn't mean he will join you. Given his resume he will have much larger ambitions than seventh. As for Eddie Howe would he necessarily be any better? Bournemouth haven't been impressive this season and he's spent a lot of money. You've literally named more young players than most clubs in the Premier League can too.

Every team can name youth players they wished got more of a go. 

1 hour ago, HK85 said:

Every team can name youth players they wished got more of a go. 

Spurs and Southampton aside, i cant think of any other teams in the premier league with a hierarchy structure thats worked as well as Evertons at present in terms of creating a pathway for quality players to break in to the first team. That's evident in the number of players who represented us at under 20 level and how many young players have made their first team debuts under Koeman.

• Subscriber

You've got to aim questions at the recruitment too. You spent a lot of money yet still left some areas unaddressed. The mind boggles that you spent all that money on Sigurdsson to play him out of position, as well as still having players like Ashley Williams in your side.

Cuco Martina too. What was he thinking?

• Administrator
Just now, Dan said:

You've got to aim questions at the recruitment too. You spent a lot of money yet still left some areas unaddressed. The mind boggles that you spent all that money on Sigurdsson to play him out of position, as well as still having players like Ashley Williams in your side.

Martina has been playing relatively well apparently. Best of a bad bunch you'd say. 

I heard someone say (genuinely can't remember where but it wasn't on here) that they hadn't signed enough midfielders or don't have #10s xD 

4 minutes ago, Dan said:

Isn't that your old boy? Walsh? Sigurdsson was a mad singing, I think Pickford and Keane are decent though.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Isn't that your old boy? Walsh? Sigurdsson was a mad singing, I think Pickford and Keane are decent though.

Yep. I think they're very different scenarios really. Walsh at Leicester was on a tighter budget and naturally when you spend less money you're going to get more praise when you pull a good one out the bag. I'd still say it's likely he's responsible for the likes of Gueye, Calvert-Lewin etc... they're the kind of signings we made under him. It's a different ball game as DoF at Everton though and I wonder if he'll end up getting the chop.

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, HK85 said:

According to who?! The lad is an abomination. 

might be getting confused with someone else but I'm sure I saw someone say he's had a couple of good games while others have been worse !

Just now, Stan said:

might be getting confused with someone else but I'm sure I saw someone say he's had a couple of good games while others have been worse !

I suppose he can have that seeing as Ashley Williams is the worst player on every pitch he stands on. 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, HK85 said:

I suppose he can have that seeing as Ashley Williams is the worst player on every pitch he stands on. 

guarantee you he has the game of his life when we play each other at the end of the month.

• Subscriber

What a corker Sky have chosen there. Two sides who've spent a lot who are both tosh.

I think Shakespeare's under pressure I do. We're going backwards under him. Sad to see but the doubters so far look right.

Archived