talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Tottenham Hotspur Discussion

football forum

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Another month… Another clean sweep of the player and manager of the month awards.

Sonny with his 6 goals. Ange with his draw at Arsenal and win against Liverpool.

Ange going back to back at the start of his PL career is more than we could have ever have hoped for.

Long may it continue. 

22 hours ago, Storts said:

Another month… Another clean sweep of the player and manager of the month awards.

Sonny with his 6 goals. Ange with his draw at Arsenal and win against Liverpool.

Ange going back to back at the start of his PL career is more than we could have ever have hoped for.

Long may it continue. 

When does the big bad Bentancur come back? Genuinely one of my favourite players in the league, the more I see of Bissouma the more I want to see them together.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Danny said:

When does the big bad Bentancur come back? Genuinely one of my favourite players in the league, the more I see of Bissouma the more I want to see them together.

3 weeks I think. They haven’t let him take part in full training yet. Just the warm ups.  I can’t wait to see him in there either. Thankfully Sarr is playing really well too so we don’t have to rush him 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Our whole season has collapsed this week. Which we always said it might when injuries occur but didn’t expect it all to happen so quickly.

Van De Ven out with a long term hamstring injury

Now Maddison with a long term ankle injury

Porro likely out with an ankle injury

Richarlison just had groin surgery

Perisic already out for the season with his ACL injury

Romero suspended for 3 games, Udogie for one

Davies, Sessegnon still injured. 

We have no fullbacks, no centre backs for the weekend, no real creativity without Madders. 

Absolutely gutted how quickly things have unravelled 

2 hours ago, Storts said:

Our whole season has collapsed this week. Which we always said it might when injuries occur but didn’t expect it all to happen so quickly.

Van De Ven out with a long term hamstring injury

Now Maddison with a long term ankle injury

Porro likely out with an ankle injury

Richarlison just had groin surgery

Perisic already out for the season with his ACL injury

Romero suspended for 3 games, Udogie for one

Davies, Sessegnon still injured. 

We have no fullbacks, no centre backs for the weekend, no real creativity without Madders. 

Absolutely gutted how quickly things have unravelled 

Is there not apart of you thats excited to see how he handles it? Who’s position gets changed, what youngsters he brings in?

I think it’d be naive to assume you were going to finish top 6 based on having a fully fit squad all season (though still very possible that you do finish top 6). You must have some academy gems ready to step up for a bit? Mikey Moore?

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Danny said:

Is there not apart of you thats excited to see how he handles it? Who’s position gets changed, what youngsters he brings in?

I think it’d be naive to assume you were going to finish top 6 based on having a fully fit squad all season (though still very possible that you do finish top 6). You must have some academy gems ready to step up for a bit? Mikey Moore?

Not a single piece of me is excited about losing two of our best players for months. The squad just isn’t there to handle it. 

There is nobody who can play like Maddison can for us. To pull the strings. Lo Celso can’t do it in the prem.

VdV is imperative to how we play. He’s been sensational since joining and without his pace I truly worry. Dier is back in the team and we know how that goes.

It’s not that we expected them to be fully fit all season but all happening at once is so very much like Spurs. Cursed.

The youngster that might step up is Jamie Donley but I think it’s a real tough ask to expect anything from him at all in place of Maddison. Phillips may have to play this weekend instead of Romero and that’s going to be a real baptism of fire too.

Very depressing  

6 minutes ago, Storts said:

Not a single piece of me is excited about losing two of our best players for months. The squad just isn’t there to handle it. 

There is nobody who can play like Maddison can for us. To pull the strings. Lo Celso can’t do it in the prem.

VdV is imperative to how we play. He’s been sensational since joining and without his pace I truly worry. Dier is back in the team and we know how that goes.

It’s not that we expected them to be fully fit all season but all happening at once is so very much like Spurs. Cursed.

The youngster that might step up is Jamie Donley but I think it’s a real tough ask to expect anything from him at all in place of Maddison. Phillips may have to play this weekend instead of Romero and that’s going to be a real baptism of fire too.

Very depressing  

Yeah the long-term injuries I get, no one is happy about that.

Do you not think some players, playing under Ange, might have a bit of a resurgence? A Neal Maupay type, who can seemingly do the business under one manager/set up only?

• 3 weeks later...

Injuries happen in all sports and they suck. They do seem to have piled on the Spurs recently and they have hit a very rough patch of it lately. There also don’t seem to be much end in sight throughout the month of December with a jammed packed scheduled and starting off the Man City doesn’t make thing any easier on the Spurs. 

The thing is injuries heal with time and prior to these multiple injuries to key players the Spurs were a top notch club and I suspect once January rolls back around they will be right back to that sort of play.

The key for the Spurs is they need to salvage some points in the month of December and not continue on this streak of getting zero points each week. The Man City game is going to be a tough one to start that streak from ending, but if the defense somehow steps it up a notch and I have no idea how that can be against the likes of Haaland and the rest, but if they can and the Spurs can get a draw out of this game that is a great start. 

We shall see and we just have to get through these injuries and the month of December.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Just want to shout out Paratici and our recruitment team over the last couple of years. We are not there yet and still plenty of room for improvement but to rebuild the squad as we have over the past few years with some exceptional young signings has been very satisfying. Of course some haven’t worked out as well as others but:

Udogie and Sarr for 15 million each is exceptional value. Both young players that are going to go on to have brilliant careers. Van De Ven is perfect for this league. Quick, tall, strong, reads the game so well, good on the ball. I was slightly sceptical in the summer because I didn’t know much about him but he’s so so good. Pedro Porro might be my favourite player. He was expensive, he started off horribly, we were told he was just a wing back but how wrong was this. What a footballer, would be perfect for Pep. Then there is Vicario. What an upgrade on Hugo he was. He has everything you want in a #1 , including personality. Got to keep adding to these, and still some question marks for me in forward positions but it’s great seeing these players develop

8 hours ago, Storts said:

Just want to shout out Paratici and our recruitment team over the last couple of years. We are not there yet and still plenty of room for improvement but to rebuild the squad as we have over the past few years with some exceptional young signings has been very satisfying. Of course some haven’t worked out as well as others but:

Udogie and Sarr for 15 million each is exceptional value. Both young players that are going to go on to have brilliant careers. Van De Ven is perfect for this league. Quick, tall, strong, reads the game so well, good on the ball. I was slightly sceptical in the summer because I didn’t know much about him but he’s so so good. Pedro Porro might be my favourite player. He was expensive, he started off horribly, we were told he was just a wing back but how wrong was this. What a footballer, would be perfect for Pep. Then there is Vicario. What an upgrade on Hugo he was. He has everything you want in a #1 , including personality. Got to keep adding to these, and still some question marks for me in forward positions but it’s great seeing these players develop

Is he still serving a ban? Has he been involved in the summer transfers?

I do think Spurs' recruitment has been very good over the last few years, it's just one of those things though - had the recruitment been this good right after that CL final, would Spurs have needed to rebuild with the Conte/Mourinho projects - and then further rebuild in the post-Kane life with Ange?

I think Spurs are one of the best in the world at long-term planning. It's the short term planning and getting around that final corner to be genuine contenders for the league and really giving every trophy a go that sort of fucks them over. That sacking Mourinho before a final stuff was probably done in the interest of long term planning, but for as much as I don't like his brand of football - and I do think it's from a different era to the very top managers of today & just isn't as effective... I still don't see why they wouldn't have given him a shot to win the final he took the team to when Spurs had been so long without winning something.

It's not the worst thing in the world to be better at long-term planning than short term planning - comparing how you're run to say Man Utd or Chelsea and I think most people with braincells would say that you're the better run club of the 3. But it's just so hard to find that right balance between planning for what's best 2-5 years from now and also making decisions that will impact the competitiveness of the club on the pitch in the current season - it's a big struggle I think for all clubs that aren't state owned and have to operate with the financial constraints that come with not being a propaganda piece/tourism advertisement.

I think looking at Ange's record, he historically starts doing a lot better with what he's got at a club in his second season. And I think that's got to be very exciting as a Spurs fan because he plays football that's exciting and entertaining, it's just really been consistency holding you back from being genuine contenders. But it'll be interesting to see if Spurs can add a bit more in the coming summer to help him out and get Spurs competing for the top honours they are desperate to win.

But I think Spurs have found the man for them that can probably perform really well for them at manager over the next few seasons. And I agree with you, the work done over the past few years has meant you've gotten some very nice signings made that have helped you out. But because of how this fucking league is and who everyone has to compete with, there's also very much a need to get stuff right for the short term that can give the squad the shot in the arm it needs to make the next step up.

But I don't think Spurs are as far off as some clubs that have dreams of being contenders, so it's just a matter of getting those fine margins just right and having a very good transfer window that has that right balance of working towards long term goals and short term goals.