talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Changing who you support

football forum

In the USA I can honestly say I'd NEVER support any teams outside of Philadelphia. For European clubs I admittedly did swap support from Manchester City to Stoke, I don't really have any legit excuses outside the fact that I'm not from England so I can never have the pride that someone from there will have for their club being able to go week in week out and also have them represent their city. Philadelphia is my city, no others. 

I stopped supporting City because it seemed like such a plastic club to me after awhile, the way they bought players, and just discarded others and just flexed their money around because they were bought by a rich Sheik didn't impress me, it didn't represent the hard working man's club. It caused me to want to search for another club, one that as @Eco put it wouldn't "betray me". I wanted a club that was still in the premiership because I'm selfish but one that wasn't some buff wealthy persons plastic play toy it came down to Stoke, Sunderland, and Newcastle.   Sunderland looked like a flaming trash bin, I loved Newcastle's fans, the stadium etc. but I thought the Newcastle fans here would hate me if I chose them, so I picked Stoke, because I thought the Brittania was a crazy cool fortress with the saying Can he do it on a cold, wet Wednesday night in Stoke? Also on top of that they had a number of American's at the time including a favorite of mine Geoff Cameron. 

Am I proud of what I did, not particularly. I do think the choice I made was correct though, and I don't really regret it.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/21/2017 at 10:39 AM, Saturdays Are For The Boys said:

In the USA I can honestly say I'd NEVER support any teams outside of Philadelphia. For European clubs I admittedly did swap support from Manchester City to Stoke, I don't really have any legit excuses outside the fact that I'm not from England so I can never have the pride that someone from there will have for their club being able to go week in week out and also have them represent their city. Philadelphia is my city, no others. 

I stopped supporting City because it seemed like such a plastic club to me after awhile, the way they bought players, and just discarded others and just flexed their money around because they were bought by a rich Sheik didn't impress me, it didn't represent the hard working man's club. It caused me to want to search for another club, one that as @Eco put it wouldn't "betray me". I wanted a club that was still in the premiership because I'm selfish but one that wasn't some buff wealthy persons plastic play toy it came down to Stoke, Sunderland, and Newcastle.   Sunderland looked like a flaming trash bin, I loved Newcastle's fans, the stadium etc. but I thought the Newcastle fans here would hate me if I chose them, so I picked Stoke, because I thought the Brittania was a crazy cool fortress with the saying Can he do it on a cold, wet Wednesday night in Stoke? Also on top of that they had a number of American's at the time including a favorite of mine Geoff Cameron. 

Am I proud of what I did, not particularly. I do think the choice I made was correct though, and I don't really regret it.

Pretty well put, can't help but like it mate. 

On 7/21/2017 at 10:39 AM, The Artful Dodger said:

Semi-serious that btw, although I do think it says something about your nature.

Because he doesn't have a culture or family pull to have a team chosen for him? Come one, that's like getting mad at an English bloke from NFL team to another NFL team... It's not something you are raised it. Not a character issue...

On 7/21/2017 at 3:39 PM, Saturdays Are For The Boys said:

I really like that answer and it's brilliantly put as @Eco has said.

I don't know about being able to change a team you support where you're culturally connected to in some way.  What I mean is changing something in which you are a part of that society and where you're born which in your case would be supporting a team of whatever sport in the US.

What I do know though is that you CAN fall out of love with your team and even though you may never change to support another, you can reach a stage where you simply don't give a damn like you used to about them.  Yo may maintain your passion for that sport but it will never be the same anymore.

5 hours ago, SirBalon said:

I don't know about being able to change a team you support where you're culturally connected to in some way.  What I mean is changing something in which you are a part of that society and where you're born which in your case would be supporting a team of whatever sport in the US.

What I do know though is that you CAN fall out of love with your team and even though you may never change to support another, you can reach a stage where you simply don't give a damn like you used to about them.  Yo may maintain your passion for that sport but it will never be the same anymore.

Yes, your culture changes it for sure. I can't support another MLS team, nor would I want to. I am born and raised in Atlanta, and this is my city. 

But if I wanted to get into the English league, and pick a side, only to drop them and pick another, then that's a lot more understandable because the difference to me between Bristol and London are mute because I'm not English and therefore don't have a local, culture team. 

7 hours ago, SirBalon said:

That's what technically happened to you @Batard with QPR right?

I have floated around most teams in the EPL, but none have stuck. I have always liked Bristol Rovers and Plymouth, and now that both are in League One, I'll likely be checking out that more. 

8 hours ago, SirBalon said:

I fancy this is the path I'm on. My interest in Orient is dwindling to the point where I have no idea what the score was in yesterday's friendly (granted it's a friendly but I used to enjoy pre-season) and I have no interest in finding out who the trialists were. This may be small, largely insignificant signs but there's much bigger signs I have lost interest in Orient. I don't care who the new signings are, I don't care what players are needed and I have not even been tempted once to purchase a season ticket. 

I think my Football this coming season will be the very odd Orient home game, local non-league games, the odd random game and a trip or two abroad. 

22 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

I fancy this is the path I'm on. My interest in Orient is dwindling to the point where I have no idea what the score was in yesterday's friendly (granted it's a friendly but I used to enjoy pre-season) and I have no interest in finding out who the trialists were. This may be small, largely insignificant signs but there's much bigger signs I have lost interest in Orient. I don't care who the new signings are, I don't care what players are needed and I have not even been tempted once to purchase a season ticket. 

I think my Football this coming season will be the very odd Orient home game, local non-league games, the odd random game and a trip or two abroad. 

Those are the exact symptoms I'm on about. But in your case many will say it's valid because in my case my club plays in the Premier League and apparently I'm spoiled.

The fact we all are of the same source which means the same symptoms of emotions is something many fail to understand. Situations call for the same feelings according to each individual's circumstances. 

3 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Has you interest not improved after the takeover? I know it's still shite for you but it's better than where you were. 

Lower league games (or non-league games) are boss too. I did one last season with Blackpool and loved it, when Everton are playing away I'm going to start doing more lower league fixtures with the likes of Fleetwood, Fylde, Blackburn, Southport, Morecambe and Blackpool around to name but a few. 

It probably should have but honestly, not really. People are falling over themselves to line up for a picture with the main investor, who's swanning around at friendlies kitted up and shaking hands with everyone, not too dissimilar to Francesco Becchetti, at times. 

Yeah, I get what you're saying about lower league games but I think any game you have no vested interest in, is usually a good day out. 

• Subscriber
On 7/20/2017 at 10:10 AM, Cure said:

In some circumstances I feel it's inevitable that someone may consider changing their support.

Although I don't support a team the local 'big' team are Coventry City and they've been in turmoil with their shitty owners SISU for years now. They've suffered two relegations and have been abandoned by their owners who don't want to sell and have recently been rejecting offers. Their stadium has been sold by the city council to the former London Wasps who have rebranded it and are looking to kick Cov out as soon as they can. It's horrible. Whilst teams who were in similar positions, the Blackpools and the Portsmouths and the Charlton Athletics, have no means of coming up without a ton of money and luck switching support for such reasons is absurd. If a club's soul is ripped out, as was the case with the former Wimbledon or lately Steaua Bucharest in Romania, then it's more than justified to switch. This isn't a problem for Premier League teams at the moment who can splash cash like it grows on trees and aside from isolated cases generally aren't threatened with poor ownership.

In these instances it really isn't justified for people to switch. As Anton said at the end of the day you have to feel the passion and a connection to your club and if that's not there anymore there's no point.

Coventry never got helped by their crap attendances but I think what's gone on there is just one daft decision after another. Building the Ricoh was a scandalous decision, totally unnecessary as they lost a traditional, decent sized ground (which was about right for them at the time) to move out of town to a place that only sells out when Take That are in town.

I think the fans are pretty crap as well to be honest as a collective. 27k against Gillingham on a Friday night when they went back to the Ricoh. Next home game there was Yeovil, a week later, eleven thousand.

I genuinely think Coventry could cease to exist in the next 5-10 years. It's a club that's dying a slow, painful death and has done for years. There's a total apathy about it.

• Subscriber
On 7/23/2017 at 8:40 AM, SirBalon said:

I do have a degree of sympathy for genuine lovers of the game in places like USA, Australia and Canada but still think through no fault of their own they will never truly have that same connection.

I think there'll always be a part of me that has that burning desire to see Leicester do well. My own city's club, regularly written off harshly. Even if there are things fundamentally wrong at the club I could never truly turn my back. 

• 1 month later...

To be honest, I've been thinking about this subject too.

I feel extremely neutral these days in football mostly due to my job in press, but I am ashamed to be part of my clubs fanbase. Such impatient and demanding fools. I am genuinely considering in scratching my current support and seeing if I could get attached to anyone else in the country. Likely not a team here in Lima but perhaps somewhere in the provinces.

I just think being a neutral is a much better way to go as press or a reporter in general. People take you more seriously that way.

On 7/25/2017 at 4:49 PM, Dan said:

I do have a degree of sympathy for genuine lovers of the game in places like USA, Australia and Canada but still think through no fault of their own they will never truly have that same connection.

I think there'll always be a part of me that has that burning desire to see Leicester do well. My own city's club, regularly written off harshly. Even if there are things fundamentally wrong at the club I could never truly turn my back. 

Canada in particular doesn't have much you can do. If you live in a place like Winnipeg, you're best supporting a club in Europe or elsewhere. I fully agree though that there's a better connection that they'll never know about. There's no better feeling in football than to celebrate the goals in the stadium with everyone else.

Archived