• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

African Cup of Nations

football forum

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

When I read it I was thinking its good for football in general. The players get to play the tournament in the summer months instead of the winter (I think that was always due to the weather but I could be wrong) and they don't run the risk of getting injured and not being able to play for their respective clubs. 

Good news all around and as for the number of teams invovled increasing its just a trend we have to get used to now. FIFA has its head screwed on backwards and it seems like they want everyone else to do so as well.

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...

Africa & Asia should scrap the Afcon and Asian Cup respectively. They are poor spectacles that don't draw much crowd because of unease of travel between member states and there is possibly no way they can be scheduled without conflicting with player's club commitment.

Have a Nations League type tournament in their place with home and away matches, the semi finals and final played in a single country. That would be more interesting

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Azeem said:

Africa & Asia should scrap the Afcon and Asian Cup respectively. They are poor spectacles that don't draw much crowd because of unease of travel between member states and there is possibly no way they can be scheduled without conflicting with player's club commitment.

Have a Nations League type tournament in their place with home and away matches, the semi finals and final played in a single country. That would be more interesting

for AFCON it could be solved by having the tournament in summer months in odd years so as not to conflict with World Cup?

12 minutes ago, Stan said:

for AFCON it could be solved by having the tournament in summer months in odd years so as not to conflict with World Cup?

Could be but that's not likely to be a permanent thing let's be honest and like i said there are other things as well poor crowds because of difficult travel and having poor crowds at your premium continental championship reflects poorly on the sport there

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Azeem said:

Could be but that's not likely to be a permanent thing let's be honest and like i said there are other things as well poor crowds because of difficult travel and having poor crowds at your premium continental championship reflects poorly on the sport there

I don't think the answer would be to cancel the tournaments though. The better option would be to find solutions as to how to make it work efficiently to benefit all nations that end up taking part at any given tournament.

For AFCON, because of the vast spread of locations, maybe having regionalised groups and then neutral locations for knockouts?

5 minutes ago, Stan said:

I don't think the answer would be to cancel the tournaments though. The better option would be to find solutions as to how to make it work efficiently to benefit all nations that end up taking part at any given tournament.

For AFCON, because of the vast spread of locations, maybe having regionalised groups and then neutral locations for knockouts?

That's somewhat what i said, home and way then a single host country in the final four. Regionalised group won't work in Asia and Africa cause most of the strong teams are mostly from one region, few strong teams will always miss out from their region while likes of Kenya will qualify from East Africa 

With both of these expanded to 24 teams it's now out of reach of most countries to host them. In Asia it's almost going to East Asian, Australia or some rich gulf country hosting it and maybe someone like Thailand or India trying to host it one off time. 

1 hour ago, Azeem said:

That not really fair to say they should be scrapped because they interfere with club football. They are not great to watch but to say they should go is disrespectful in my opinion

9 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

That not really fair to say they should be scrapped because they interfere with club football. They are not great to watch but to say they should go is disrespectful in my opinion

Read rest of my post, I'm talking about replacing them with a tournament that's played during the international breaks like the Nations League in Europe, having a traditional Cup competition played in a host nation within few weeks is not workable

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, nudge said:

Because rainy season.

I was joking, but I did think the reason it wasn't in our summer was because of the heat, and didn't think Egypt was a very good sample size of the tournament. It makes more sense now though.

• The title was changed to African Cup of Nations Moved to January 2022
  • The title was changed to African Cup of Nations

Archived