talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

How Will The Premier League Teams Do In The Champions League This Season?

You kind of sense a shift of momentum this year. Are the English sides bridging the gap?

Halfway stage in the group and all five clubs are undefeated and top of their group. Still early days and nothing has been proven till we get to the latter stages of the competition but it's very promising to see from an English perspective.

We are very quick to slaughter clubs in our country for poor European performance but I think we should give them credit where it's due so far too. It's quite refreshing to see especially Spurs drawing at the reigning European champions, Liverpool winning seven zip away and City looking like a genuine Champions League winner.

I won't talk about the other lot from Manchester much but I guess they are doing alright too.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Lucas said:

You kind of sense a shift of momentum this year. Are the English sides bridging the gap?

Halfway stage in the group and all five clubs are undefeated and top of their group. Still early days and nothing has been proven till we get to the latter stages of the competition but it's very promising to see from an English perspective.

We are very quick to slaughter clubs in our country for poor European performance but I think we should give them credit where it's due so far too. It's quite refreshing to see especially Spurs drawing at the reigning European champions, Liverpool winning seven zip away and City looking like a genuine Champions League winner.

I won't talk about the other lot from Manchester much but I guess they are doing alright too.

I think it was only a matter of time with the resources the PL has now with ourselves and of course united. The gap is alot smaller now. The way Spurs competed in madrid i think says it all just like chelsea beating atletico away from home.

I see no reason why at least 2/3 english teams can't get to the quarters/semis or even further. All about the luck of the draw.

• 6 months later...
On 7/30/2017 at 13:17, Cicero said:

Still a lot of time in the window, and our board has done a terrific job so far so I expect more signings coming in, especially at wing backs. 

tenor.gif?itemid=5786452

• Subscriber
On 30/07/2017 at 21:25, Dan said:

I expect 4 of the 5 to get through the groups. One of Tottenham or Liverpool will blow it, and I'm edging towards Liverpool. Spurs round of 16, Man City & Man Utd quarters, Chelsea semis.

Goodness me.

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 07:14, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think it's because we don't take a winter break, so it's easy for players to burn out. We had a good season except for the 5-6 weeks at the turn of the year where we lost all form.

I like our Xmas fixture congestion and hate the idea of a break. But I do think it puts our top clubs at a disadvantage to their top European counterparts. I also think our leagues general competitiveness at the top end also makes it a bit harder for our top teams to focus on Europe and have a successful domestic season - but I think that's a good part of our league.

As Batard said, though, it's all cyclical. England has dominated Europe in 2 eras of football history. It will happen again one day.

I think Chelsea will do the best from England this year. Best squad and Conte is a great tactician.

Happy to be wrong as fuck.

Archived