The better place to talk football.

Football League 2017/18 - 12-13th August

football forum

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

He's a known Villa fan mate, I was teasing you as he's never been offered 

I know mate, joking with ya ain't I. I don't think he was offered but he publically denied interest so that was good enough for me

3 hours ago, Danny said:

I know mate, joking with ya ain't I. I don't think he was offered but he publically denied interest so that was good enough for me

To be fair I'd take him at present, that hiding we had last year was probably the best team performance I saw last year. 

On ‎12‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 6:33 PM, HoneyNUFC said:

Leeds failing to score let me down for £75.

As far as I am concerned @Lucas owes me that money :ph34r:

I apologise.

I'll send you the money now via pigeon mail. Don't worry too much if you find you're waiting a while for it.

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 8:26 PM, Danny said:

Because after it became apparent he was leaving the same journalist who has written every story on him from Us to Forest continued to slag us off in the press, giving the club and the owner a bad name.

Again he got us promoted but had his hand in souring a good relationship at the end. I wouldn't boo personally but that's football, I wouldn't sing his name.

Are you saying the journalist slagged Brentford off or Warbs did?

I think it would be outrageous for any Brentford fan to boo Warbs. The guy did a lot for the club, and dragged a lot of it into the 21st century. In my opinion the club and Benham's firm handled thjs situation quite poorly. Warbs has been nothing but professional about it all, and he has plenty to bitch about if he was so inclined.

43 minutes ago, Large said:

Are you saying the journalist slagged Brentford off or Warbs did?

I think it would be outrageous for any Brentford fan to boo Warbs. The guy did a lot for the club, and dragged a lot of it into the 21st century. In my opinion the club and Benham's firm handled thjs situation quite poorly. Warbs has been nothing but professional about it all, and he has plenty to bitch about if he was so inclined.

Well it's that or one gigantic coincidence and I'm not going with the latter.

The club did little wrong to Warburton, Warburton wasn't prepared to work under the conditions Benham wants the club run, with Warburton in his last year Benham done the sensible thing and began looking elsewhere.

Again I wouldn't boo Warburton and I don't think fans should because quite rightly he was instrumental in our promotion, from DoF to manager. But the fallout from it, including the articles that the same journalist that writes up his entire career put out left a sour taste, there wasn't much respect for the club there. We may owe Warburton a lot but he owes Benham just as much, DoF, first managerial role, the squad that he was allowed to assemble with our finances in League One as well as going into the Championship with an over budgeted team, he didn't leave in a manner that was befitting of someone who was grateful.

• The topic was unpinned
8 hours ago, Danny said:

Well it's that or one gigantic coincidence and I'm not going with the latter.

The club did little wrong to Warburton, Warburton wasn't prepared to work under the conditions Benham wants the club run, with Warburton in his last year Benham done the sensible thing and began looking elsewhere.

Again I wouldn't boo Warburton and I don't think fans should because quite rightly he was instrumental in our promotion, from DoF to manager. But the fallout from it, including the articles that the same journalist that writes up his entire career put out left a sour taste, there wasn't much respect for the club there. We may owe Warburton a lot but he owes Benham just as much, DoF, first managerial role, the squad that he was allowed to assemble with our finances in League One as well as going into the Championship with an over budgeted team, he didn't leave in a manner that was befitting of someone who was grateful.

I think you're putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 5. I think Warbs was more than grateful and professional in how he left the club. And I'm quite certain that he also heard about going to be let go after it was "accidentally" leaked to the press before he was even told. So even if how you understand it to be was true, I'd say he had justifiable reason to be pissed off with things. Now I don't know all the exact details and probably never will, but regardless I cannot see any reason whatsoever for any Brentford fan to be unhappy with Warbs and how he had that team playing and getting them a gnat's nad away from getting into the Premier League. Granted the playing budget was too high for the club in relation to FFP but it was still one of the lowest in the league. Brentford were 'punching' ridiculously, so to achieve what he did with the resources to hand was quite something.

1 hour ago, Large said:

I think you're putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 5. I think Warbs was more than grateful and professional in how he left the club. And I'm quite certain that he also heard about going to be let go after it was "accidentally" leaked to the press before he was even told. So even if how you understand it to be was true, I'd say he had justifiable reason to be pissed off with things. Now I don't know all the exact details and probably never will, but regardless I cannot see any reason whatsoever for any Brentford fan to be unhappy with Warbs and how he had that team playing and getting them a gnat's nad away from getting into the Premier League. Granted the playing budget was too high for the club in relation to FFP but it was still one of the lowest in the league. Brentford were 'punching' ridiculously, so to achieve what he did with the resources to hand was quite something.

I won't argue because it's been gone over so many times, I still respect him for what he did, he gave me one of the best seasons I've ever see. We certainly didn't leak midseason that we were looking to replace him.

But the articles are far too much of a coincidence, his mate in the press slagged is off to help raise his stock even more. Simple as that.

Three games in and it's sounding like Josh Cullen and Reece Burke could be excellent together for us in this division, just as they were at Bradford City in League One.

For 20 years old, Burke has been getting rave reviews - while I have been out of the country for the Birmingham and Millwall games, the Wanderers forums have been full of nothing but praise for him in particular. Our defence was the key to promotion last year; now, while I did worry our backline may struggle in the Championship due to their relative lack of pace, Burke appears to be working brilliantly alongside the likes of Beevers and Dervite.

Regarding the Birmingham game itself, by all accounts, we more than deserved a point - a confident performance if nothing spectacular. That is exactly what we need to have any hope of avoiding the drop, and I am delighted to see that Parkinson and his backroom team appear to have taken on last season's positivity and applied it on the pitch against better quality teams. Believe me, we haven't seen this great kind of attitude here for a long, long time. Let's just turn some of that goodwill and endeavour into goals...

• The title was changed to Football League 2017/18 - 12-13th August

Archived