talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Things you don't like about Football

football forum

The media frenzy Sky desperately need to whip up over the most basic aspects of the game.

Man United sign a new CF and they have Henry as a special guest commentator to rigorously analyse every touch he has.

Related: punditry being a massive racket based on repeating the same of cliches about individuals and individual mistakes/moments, rather than a clear explanation of the systemic playing patterns that actually decide football matches. 

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Small fry teams from The Championship with pretty shite support, that get promoted and sell out their home/away games in the Premier League briefly, before getting relegated and go back to a having a half-arsed support. Yes, I am that bitter.

When all your teams on your accumulator are winning going into the 90th minute, and you hear "And there's been drama late on at (Insert Team)" and that inevitable goal that let's you down flashes up. Hurts like sprinkling salt in your japs eye. Why do we do it to ourselves.

Sergio Ramos.

People in England that feel the need to constantly bitch and moan how significantly reduced the quality of the Premier League is compared to others in Europe. The PL is the best league in the world, be thankful for that and fucking enjoy it.

Every December when the annual 'Winter Break' argument is mentioned. Bore the fuck off. We love our Football over the Christmas and we'd miss it if it wasn't there.

England games.

Speaking of England, International breaks early in the season. You wait ages for the new season, you are buzzing when it's here and after like 3 games, there's an international break for two weeks. Annoying as thrush.

The transfer windows. Hate hate hate. Just wish they were abolished and we went back to how it was. Buying a player when you needed it/felt it was necessary. Personally feel the windows cause too much unnecessary panic buying. It also annoys the fuck out of me when clubs complain they run out of time to do a deal when they have had all fucking month to sort it. And the timing of them are ridiculous. Summer window shutting when the season has already started? January window shutting when teams have a game the next day or sometimes, the same day?

Garth Crooks losing his shit on BBC Final Score over something completely pointless in an attempt to be the 'controversial' one.

FA Cup Finals at 5:30pm. FA Cup Semi Finals at Wembley. Too many televised FA Cup games in each round, it should be limited to a couple.

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Inverted said:

The media frenzy Sky desperately need to whip up over the most basic aspects of the game.

Man United sign a new CF and they have Henry as a special guest commentator to rigorously analyse every touch he has.

Related: punditry being a massive racket based on repeating the same of cliches about individuals and individual mistakes/moments, rather than a clear explanation of the systemic playing patterns that actually decide football matches. 

Sky have become a parody in recent years. They pander to absolute simpletons.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Every December when the annual 'Winter Break' argument is mentioned. Bore the fuck off. We love our Football over the Christmas and we'd miss it if it wasn't there.

Absolute nonsense argument as well, does anyone seriously think Liverpool, Man Utd etc... are going to stay in England and have a break for two weeks? They'll be playing PSG and Real Madrid in Malaysia and USA.

2 minutes ago, Dan said:

Absolute nonsense argument as well, does anyone seriously think Liverpool, Man Utd etc... are going to stay in England and have a break for two weeks? They'll be playing PSG and Real Madrid in Malaysia and USA.

Exactly. Add to that the England will never win a major international tournament without a winter break.

No mate, we won't win a major international tournament again as long as we have a hole in our arse because our team is a load of overpaid, don't give a toss, bunch of frauds.

10 hours ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

Playing ping pong with points on a league table. Takes the drama out of the race. For example, Peru and Chile being threatened to have their points taken away after being given them back because Bolivia played an ineligible player. Not only should you not take away the points after being given them back, but also not months after being returned. To put it in more simple terms, taken points away then going on a case for weeks or months about whether they should return them or not. Happens in the Peruvian league a lot.

People who think qualifying for the World Cup makes those teams better than ones who didn't.

People who use stats to judge players over judgement.

People who get annoyed at the word "soccer". I don't use the word, but I live in Peru. I don't need to. Its just a case of people in England hating American words.

VAR. I think you all know my opinion on the matter.

The leniency in foreign rules. In some ways, I like them so I can sign foreigners in Football Manager, but in terms of entertainment I much prefer there to be a limit for foreigners. Due to money these days, not too strict. In Europe, there are players from other nations that are high profile and have no connection to the club. Its a reason I like players like Iniesta, Harry Kane, Xavi, Riquelme etc. I'm not talking about academy players mind, just domestic players who know the tradition of football in the country, the style, the rivalries of the country. A lot of European derbies have kept their soul in the stands but not on the pitch.

That isn't really a problem.  Give me examples of WC sides that are being touted as "better than" non-WC sides.  

19 minutes ago, oliveandblue said:

That isn't really a problem.  Give me examples of WC sides that are being touted as "better than" non-WC sides.  

Peru, Venezuela, Paraguay, Ukraine, Poland, and Denmark are better than a quarter of the teams that qualified for the last World Cup.

11 hours ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

Playing ping pong with points on a league table. Takes the drama out of the race. For example, Peru and Chile being threatened to have their points taken away after being given them back because Bolivia played an ineligible player. Not only should you not take away the points after being given them back, but also not months after being returned. To put it in more simple terms, taken points away then going on a case for weeks or months about whether they should return them or not. Happens in the Peruvian league a lot.

People who think qualifying for the World Cup makes those teams better than ones who didn't.

People who use stats to judge players over judgement.

People who get annoyed at the word "soccer". I don't use the word, but I live in Peru. I don't need to. Its just a case of people in England hating American words.

VAR. I think you all know my opinion on the matter.

The leniency in foreign rules. In some ways, I like them so I can sign foreigners in Football Manager, but in terms of entertainment I much prefer there to be a limit for foreigners. Due to money these days, not too strict. In Europe, there are players from other nations that are high profile and have no connection to the club. Its a reason I like players like Iniesta, Harry Kane, Xavi, Riquelme etc. I'm not talking about academy players mind, just domestic players who know the tradition of football in the country, the style, the rivalries of the country. A lot of European derbies have kept their soul in the stands but not on the pitch.

The word soccer originated in England, not America.

42 minutes ago, Spike said:

The word soccer originated in England, not America.

Peoples lack of understanding that Football is an umbrella term for a variety of sports is the reason for that. Soccer was slang for Association.

The fact nothing mid-table Premier League teams don't seem to take the FA Cup seriously. Why teams like West Brom, Bournemouth, Southampton etc don't play their strongest possible XI's against lower league sides annoys me. They're not in any danger of relegation, they're not going to qualify for Europe or win the league, so why not give the FA Cup a serious go?

The Auto Windscreens/LDV Vans/JPT/Checkatrade Trophy. A proper pointless competition made even more farcical and pointless by the inclusion of Under 23 sides who can play "over" aged players but wow betide Luton Town give their promising youngsters an opportunity at a competitive level, that's a fine.

Not a fan of players going on strike either, I get people want to change companies within their working life and I don't begrudge footballers the chance to do it either but having some respect for their current employer wouldn't go amiss. I don't want to get all clichèd but imagine going on strike in your job, you'd get laughed out of the office. 

46 minutes ago, Storts said:

Buzzing for the U23 game at Luton tomorrow - glad to be in the tournament this year

There's plenty of other football out there tomorrow evening which both teams will be playing on a level playing field instead of that competition. 

I hope Luton stick two fingers up to the Football League again and play their kids. One rule for one, a fine for others. 

• Subscriber
Just now, Smiley Culture said:

There's plenty of other football out there tomorrow evening which both teams will be playing on a level playing field instead of that competition. 

I hope Luton stick two fingers up to the Football League again and play their kids. One rule for one, a fine for others. 

Maybe - but I like watching our youth team and I am pleased to have the opportunity to see them in a competitive environment and against league sides (although Luton will probably play kids).

I understand drawbacks but as a Tottenham fan, and a fan of youth football   I am pleased we have entered this year

20 minutes ago, Storts said:

Maybe - but I like watching our youth team and I am pleased to have the opportunity to see them in a competitive environment and against league sides (although Luton will probably play kids).

I understand drawbacks but as a Tottenham fan, and a fan of youth football   I am pleased we have entered this year

I don't dispute any of that, or that u23 are in (I had a witch hunt after me last year for saying I'd rather watch Spurs U23's v Orient than Stevenage on an Orient forum) the competition but I find the rules are very flimsy and after last season's debacle, they should have been changed so that small clubs wouldn't be fined for playing their kids, because that is unfair and poor treatment from the Football League, IMO. 

The format is the main bug bear I have tbh. It's always been relatively pointless as a competition and teams only care when in with a chance of Wembley but a group format is not needed IMO. 

• Subscriber
On 8/14/2017 at 10:22 AM, Smiley Culture said:

The fact nothing mid-table Premier League teams don't seem to take the FA Cup seriously. Why teams like West Brom, Bournemouth, Southampton etc don't play their strongest possible XI's against lower league sides annoys me. They're not in any danger of relegation, they're not going to qualify for Europe or win the league, so why not give the FA Cup a serious go?

The Auto Windscreens/LDV Vans/JPT/Checkatrade Trophy. A proper pointless competition made even more farcical and pointless by the inclusion of Under 23 sides who can play "over" aged players but wow betide Luton Town give their promising youngsters an opportunity at a competitive level, that's a fine.

Not a fan of players going on strike either, I get people want to change companies within their working life and I don't begrudge footballers the chance to do it either but having some respect for their current employer wouldn't go amiss. I don't want to get all clichèd but imagine going on strike in your job, you'd get laughed out of the office. 

I'll be putting us straight into this category if we're guilty of similar this season. We are in the perfect position where I doubt we'll challenge for a top 4 place and I doubt we'll get relegated.

• Subscriber

With Smiley on that competition too. I could've actually ticked off three new grounds with our draws this year and last but I just can't justify paying for that farce of a tournament. The whole thing is just an excuse to try and demonstrate that B teams will succeed in the lower leagues and they'll churn out some nonsense pretending it was a success, and use it as an excuse to introduce it to the league format. The main reason ultimately is to pander to the top clubs, as they usually do.

• Subscriber
On ‎15‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 6:36 PM, Dan said:

With Smiley on that competition too. I could've actually ticked off three new grounds with our draws this year and last but I just can't justify paying for that farce of a tournament. The whole thing is just an excuse to try and demonstrate that B teams will succeed in the lower leagues and they'll churn out some nonsense pretending it was a success, and use it as an excuse to introduce it to the league format. The main reason ultimately is to pander to the top clubs, as they usually do.

I don't think so. Thoroughly enjoyed the trip to Luton. Great experience for our young lads against proper opposition and hopefully helps their progression. Also as Smiley says, more interesting for those clubs to be playing us than another team in their division again

• Subscriber
On ‎14‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 1:08 PM, Smiley Culture said:

I don't dispute any of that, or that u23 are in (I had a witch hunt after me last year for saying I'd rather watch Spurs U23's v Orient than Stevenage on an Orient forum) the competition but I find the rules are very flimsy and after last season's debacle, they should have been changed so that small clubs wouldn't be fined for playing their kids, because that is unfair and poor treatment from the Football League, IMO. 

The format is the main bug bear I have tbh. It's always been relatively pointless as a competition and teams only care when in with a chance of Wembley but a group format is not needed IMO. 

Agree on that second point completely, that was ludicrous

Archived