talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Formula One - General Chat

football forum

11 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Ferrari have had their car turned down since testing so I'm not reading too much into the half second gap, plus with Hamilton's habit of starting races badly they can attack him into the first corner if they lock up 2nd and 3rd on the grid.

Good to see McLaren do 58 laps but the fact that this is worthy of a discussion shows just how bad they've been.

Have they been faster before they had their car turned down(on the same tire)?

football forum

Great qualifying that, Hamilton on top and Vettel keeping up the Ferrari hype by being in 2nd. I see nobody has mentioned Grosjean yet but he's done really well to get into P6 with a Haas.

Glad to see Lance Stroll at the bottom too, he's going to be the Marc Marquez of F1 for me, despise him already.

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Great qualifying that, Hamilton on top and Vettel keeping up the Ferrari hype by being in 2nd. I see nobody has mentioned Grosjean yet but he's done really well to get into P6 with a Haas.

Glad to see Lance Stroll at the bottom too, he's going to be the Marc Marquez of F1 for me, despise him already.

how come?

football forum
Just now, Romesh said:

how come?

He's not earned his place in F1 like everyone else in the sense that he hasn't gone through the different disciplines and proved that he's a good racer.

His father donated £20,000,000 to Williams in return for his son getting a seat in the team.

Basically, he's a little rich kid who's Daddy has pulled strings to get him where he is. I despise that injustice, there are many drivers faster than Lance but because they don't come from privileged backgrounds are at a disadvantage and may not get a crack in the big time. I hope his career falls flat on its arse.

Urgh, already got up for Quali this morning, and will do the same tomorrow. Can't wait for the European or North American races at a normal time, even though I like Albert Park. 

Anyway, Ferrari close to Mercedes. Looking good! Grosjean with a good result for Haas as well!

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

He's not earned his place in F1 like everyone else in the sense that he hasn't gone through the different disciplines and proved that he's a good racer.

His father donated £20,000,000 to Williams in return for his son getting a seat in the team.

Basically, he's a little rich kid who's Daddy has pulled strings to get him where he is. I despise that injustice, there are many drivers faster than Lance but because they don't come from privileged backgrounds are at a disadvantage and may not get a crack in the big time. I hope his career falls flat on its arse.

fair enough. bought his way in to the sport. 

Well, when it comes to Lance Stroll, it's not like he's completely without talent:

He was Italian F4 champion in 2014, Toyota Racing Series champion in 2015 and 2016 FIA European Formula 3 champion.

It's just that his daddy's money gave him one hell of a jumpstart to his F1 career. 

Very underwhelmed at Hamilton securing poll position although I must say the tight race with Ferrari was exciting. So long as Mercedes don't cheat to try and see Hamilton go through to win the championship this season it'll be amazing.

football forum

3c5f1c9f6d73f7420f822c59c3a9a418.gif

^Tsubasa running through the fields of Dusseldorf to the ''secret location'' that Sebastian had arranged to meet him at. 

As for the race, I'm first of all gutted for Daniel Ricciardo, to have to start like that in the first (and his home) race is gutting to say the least and it's even more disappointing that his efforts to catch the pack ended in misery as his engine failed. Given that pace of Max Verstappen it would have been interesting to see what he would have done from P10 but now it's all speculation. 

Alonso drove well, if it hadn't been for that faulty suspension he would have probably got a point which is incredible considering McLaren were doing 11 lap stints in testing, Ocon did well too in the Force India alongside Sergio Perez.

Hamilton for me was a beaten man before the race started, in the formation lap he was complaining about grip and then throughout the race he was constantly moaning about his tyres pulling into the pits way too early and jeopardising his stint, Bottas on the other hand looked for a moment that he could have caught the Englishman but in the end backed off the preserve P3. What I will say about Lewis is that he if he can come home in second place from a total car-crash of a race then imagine what he can do when everything's ticking nicely - I wouldn't write him off just yet. 

Massive congratulations to Vettel though, the hype is confirmed and we've got Ferrari back on the top step again. If the season pans out like Australia has then we're in for an interesting 2017. I'm so glad it's back and can't wait for Shanghai in a fortnight. 

I'm happy this season Ferarri is more competitive than last year as is seems. But I don't like the technical regulations, because overtaking is even more difficult now. The obvious reason for this is that the bigger tires allow higher cornering speeds, but there's more to it. Any aero package which is good enough during the qualifying, loses too much down force when it's being driven behind another car. Not only does this make overtaking more difficult, but you will degrade your tires too quickly on top of that.

Even after the technology transfer Mercedes' engines have the highest torque and superb reliability. Lewis will have learned from his mistakes. He's still my favourite for the title. Most tracks are colder than the Australian one. Mercedes will be even stronger there.

Grojean and Ricciardo are in big trouble now: 19 races to go, but only 2 engines left.

1 hour ago, Cannabis said:

3c5f1c9f6d73f7420f822c59c3a9a418.gif

^Tsubasa running through the fields of Dusseldorf to the ''secret location'' that Sebastian had arranged to meet him at.  

"the fields of Dusseldorf"O.o Düsseldorf has fields?

Mercedes do still have the best powertrain, hence they are still favourites to win every qualifying, but their suspension is their achilles heel. If the temperatures are getting too high, the rear wheels can't handle all the torque. Thus Ferrari are still strong during the race, even if they didn't win the qualifying.

Season predictions:

1. Shanghai: With avg temperatures around 15°C and possible rain Hamilton/Mercedes are prolly going to win.

2. Sachir: This track is even warmer than the Australian GP. -> Vettel/Ferrari

3. Sotchi: See "Shanghai" -> Hamilton/Mercedes

4. Barcelona: similar to "Sachir", but rain is a little likelier here. -> Vettel/Ferrari

5. Monaco: You simply cannot overtake here, especially this season. -> Hamilton/Mercedes

6. Montreal: On a normal day -> Hamilton/Mercedes, but too many safety cars can ruin the race for him like they ruined the racec for Vettel in 2011

7. Baku: Similar to "Montreal" -> Hamilton/Mercedes

8. Spielberg: Similar to "Montreal" -> Hamilton/Mercedes

9. Silverstone: Even colder and rainier than Montreal -> Hamilton/Mercedes

10. Budapest: Vettel/Ferrari

---- Season break ----

Edited by True Bender

• The topic was pinned
  • The topic was unpinned