talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

1 hour ago, LFCMadLad said:

It's in the balance this.

It seems a bit of a coincidence how Coutinho has suddenly been ruled out of our next two games with a mysterious back injury? 

Ahh fuck it anyway, what will be will be. 

Yep, a coincidence is exactly what it is. He hasn't been totally ruled out either, in fact he's in the squad for the Hoffenheim tie, so the club expects him to at least be fit for the second leg.

4 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

Yep, a coincidence is exactly what it is. He hasn't been totally ruled out either, in fact he's in the squad for the Hoffenheim tie, so the club expects him to at least be fit for the second leg.

That's usually how these things work mate! He'll be named in the squad so fans don't lose their shit, as if he 'might make it but he might not'  kinda thing. It's called posturing to the fans.  

It could as you say be a total coincidence but I've seen this a hundred times when clubs are negotiating a big transfer and the player in question is suddenly 'carrying a slight knock'. 

[rant] The timing of this is shitty (if the Neymar deal had been completed earlier Barca might have swooped in for Coutinho earlier and the merry-go-round would already be in full-swing by now). You know this deal will rumble on until August 29th-31st, leaving Liverpool with a wad of cash but bugger-all time to spend it. Which makes me wonder if there will be a cash+player deal… The likes of Rafinha or Andre Gomes. I’m not saying that’s who I want to replace PC, but I’m just guessing that’s a possible outcome.

What I will say is that the media are doing a fantastic job of spreading a shroud of unnecessary drama over the situation. Vultures, the lot of them!

Either way, I’ve made peace with the situation, though. I’ve accepted that Coutinho will leave and at least Liverpool will get mega-bucks for him. That’s the hand the club has been dealt. I’m delighted with Salah and I think that Solanke will be a really smart piece of business. The Robertson signing is great since he cost so little, and Klopp has tried Flanagan at both LB and RB in preseason, meaning Milner’s versatility in midfield will aid the club no end with the extra fixtures this year, whatever people might think of his ability. 

God only knows what’s going on with Sakho. In my opinion, Klaven is not good enough. I’m still not sold on Lovren; Matip is the only centre back I feel remotely calm about seeing in a starting XI. I’d love to see a bit more of Joe Gomez, but the club HAVE to buy a centre back. I cannot fathom why this hasn’t already happened this summer! I’ll be so pissed off if they don’t sign VVD. Not because I’m a VVD fanboy, but because it seems worryingly apparent there is no other player the club is considering as an alternative. [/rant]

22 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

That's usually how these things work mate! He'll be named in the squad so fans don't lose their shit, as if he 'might make it but he might not'  kinda thing. It's called posturing to the fans.  

It could as you say be a total coincidence but I've seen this a hundred times when clubs are negotiating a big transfer and the player in question is suddenly 'carrying a slight knock'. 

I feel like you've become more convinced of a deal at the same time I've gone the opposite way. 

There still has been no convincing support on the move from the inside sources and although i don't doubt Phil wants the move i think he's also the type to appreciate that his time hasn't come yet. 

Next year is a certainty but this year he is required at Liverpool. 

https://m.bbc.com/sport/football/40897688

We wish to offer clarity as regards our position on a possible transfer of Philippe Coutinho.

The club’s definitive stance is that no offers for Philippe will be considered and he will remain a member of Liverpool Football Club when the summer window closes.."

I rest my case. 

This is the type of definitive statement I'd been looking for all along....

Breathe easy lads. 

Edited by Harry

dnw_joey_barton_22.jpg

Joey Barton; "Klopp is just a massive German cheerleader"

Speaking ahead of Liverpool's opening game of the Premier League season at Watford – LIVE on talkSPORT – the outspoken star launched a scathing attack on the German and his tactics.

And he believes it could be a tough season for the Reds without Philippe Coutinho, who he fully expects to leave for Barcelona this summer. 

Barton, who is part of talkSPORT's Matchday Live team for 2017/18, said of the popular Klopp: "He is not trophy-laden like Mourinho or Guardiola, so we have to be sceptical of him.

"He has gone in with all this charisma and seems a down to earth, nice guy, but I always worry when I see him prancing up and down the touchline. He is like a giant German cheerleader for them!

"To be a top manager, you have got to have more than that. He has got a terrible record in finals.

"I'm not buying the Klopp aura and that he is this super coach. His career doesn't point that way.

"He has got one league title, one cup, in 2011/12. His Dortmund career ended in a hole in the ground. He lost the players, he lost the dressing room. They were fighting relegation.

"He had a great season last season against the top seven – phenomenal – but where you step up and win the Premier League is against the bottom 13. Against the bottom 13, he lost six games. Why? Because teams sit in and say 'we are not going to chase you down, harass you, you can have the ball in a certain area of the park and we are going to sit back and counter you', which is what Liverpool have done.

"The ego of the big teams is they say 'we have to play against Liverpool and take you on' and that leaves you vulnerable to Liverpool's strengths. The opposite position of that is the teams who say 'actually, you can have the ball, we are not interested' and Liverpool have found that a problem. Are they going to find that more of a problem without Coutinho, a magician who can unlock defences? I would say so.

"Liverpool's game plan will be high-intensity, high-distance running, because that is what they did last season and that is what they have done in pre-season. 

“The players he has bought – Salah, Mane – they are players to get in behind defences. If you take that space away and sit deep, it doesn't matter how quick Salah is and how quick Mane is, that is when you need a Coutinho.

"They are not going to have a Coutinho this season. I think it is only a matter of time before he leaves, contrary to what Liverpool people think."

The only reason I posted it is because of the "cheerleader" quip! xD

How does Barton convince people to pay him for his football opinions? :dam:

29 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

dnw_joey_barton_22.jpg

Joey Barton; "Klopp is just a massive German cheerleader"

Speaking ahead of Liverpool's opening game of the Premier League season at Watford – LIVE on talkSPORT – the outspoken star launched a scathing attack on the German and his tactics.

And he believes it could be a tough season for the Reds without Philippe Coutinho, who he fully expects to leave for Barcelona this summer. 

Barton, who is part of talkSPORT's Matchday Live team for 2017/18, said of the popular Klopp: "He is not trophy-laden like Mourinho or Guardiola, so we have to be sceptical of him.

"He has gone in with all this charisma and seems a down to earth, nice guy, but I always worry when I see him prancing up and down the touchline. He is like a giant German cheerleader for them!

"To be a top manager, you have got to have more than that. He has got a terrible record in finals.

"I'm not buying the Klopp aura and that he is this super coach. His career doesn't point that way.

"He has got one league title, one cup, in 2011/12. His Dortmund career ended in a hole in the ground. He lost the players, he lost the dressing room. They were fighting relegation.

"He had a great season last season against the top seven – phenomenal – but where you step up and win the Premier League is against the bottom 13. Against the bottom 13, he lost six games. Why? Because teams sit in and say 'we are not going to chase you down, harass you, you can have the ball in a certain area of the park and we are going to sit back and counter you', which is what Liverpool have done.

"The ego of the big teams is they say 'we have to play against Liverpool and take you on' and that leaves you vulnerable to Liverpool's strengths. The opposite position of that is the teams who say 'actually, you can have the ball, we are not interested' and Liverpool have found that a problem. Are they going to find that more of a problem without Coutinho, a magician who can unlock defences? I would say so.

"Liverpool's game plan will be high-intensity, high-distance running, because that is what they did last season and that is what they have done in pre-season. 

“The players he has bought – Salah, Mane – they are players to get in behind defences. If you take that space away and sit deep, it doesn't matter how quick Salah is and how quick Mane is, that is when you need a Coutinho.

"They are not going to have a Coutinho this season. I think it is only a matter of time before he leaves, contrary to what Liverpool people think."

The only reason I posted it is because of the "cheerleader" quip! xD

How does Barton convince people to pay him for his football opinions? :dam:

Media outlets like Talksport are always going to employ people like him because he'll say controversial stuff (sometimes factually incorrect as proven there) that will attract callers and listeners.

34 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Trent Alexander Arnold is now 1 CL goal away from equaling the total number of champions league goals Everton have ever scored.

Trent Alexander-Arnold has more CL goals than Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar and Suarez combined this season. :ph34r:

• Like 1

So Klopp has explained the reason why Andy Robertson hasn't been involved in Liverpools squad for any game so far this season ..... He hasn't adapted to the system yet!  What Yurgen, 433?

So, you'd like to think that when recruiting a player, extensive scouting is done before deciding which player best suits your needs before bringing them in. You'd like to think you've done enough homework to ensure you're buying an upgrade on Moreno, no?

Nooo not us. 

It seems we have bought a LB that is actually struggling to adapt to playing LB.

Fucking embarrassing.  

On 17/08/2017 at 3:45 PM, LFCMadLad said:

So Klopp has explained the reason why Andy Robertson hasn't been involved in Liverpools squad for any game so far this season ..... He hasn't adapted to the system yet!  What Yurgen, 433?

So, you'd like to think that when recruiting a player, extensive scouting is done before deciding which player best suits your needs before bringing them in. You'd like to think you've done enough homework to ensure you're buying an upgrade on Moreno, no?

Nooo not us. 

It seems we have bought a LB that is actually struggling to adapt to playing LB.

Fucking embarrassing.  

Dont ever question Jurgen.

• Upvote 1

Just now, LFCMike said:

I'm inclined to believe that Klopp knows what he's doing

Well he does doesn't he? Doesn't mean he doesn't have his faults. 

I've said this before, why are you making out I can't find fault with anything to do with the club. 

Just because I'm not a bed wetting bastard, doesn't mean I think everything is perfect. 

7 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Well he does doesn't he? Doesn't mean he doesn't have his faults. 

I've said this before, why are you making out I can't find fault with anything to do with the club. 

Just because I'm not a bed wetting bastard, doesn't mean I think everything is perfect. 

No I'm fully aware you find faults with certain things and go over the top in criticism too, the quote about Robertson a prime example. 

We just clearly have differing opinions where Liverpool are going wrong in certain areas.

And bet wetting? I think insinuating we'd have been better off sticking with Rodgers just a few months into Klopp's tenure is bed wetting, not having a criticism of something because it keeps happening over long periods of time.

Edited by LFCMike

Our group would be the group of death... in the Europa League. So on paper it's good for us. Sevilla's obviously the toughest of that lot. And the flight to Moscow isn't a short one, so that's lots of traveling for us, which isn't great. And Maribor are a side we'd all expect us to beat - which generally means they'll play out of their fucking skin against us.

26 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Our group would be the group of death... in the Europa League. So on paper it's good for us. Sevilla's obviously the toughest of that lot. And the flight to Moscow isn't a short one, so that's lots of traveling for us, which isn't great. And Maribor are a side we'd all expect us to beat - which generally means they'll play out of their fucking skin against us.

Haha Yeah it could be tricky I suppose but we are fortunate in that it's probably as easer a group as we could hope for. Imagine being Spurs ffs xD

Pretty friendly group for us which is a good thing.

I wouldn't have minded having one juicier team in it just for some special atmosphere and match ups but it puts us in with a better chance of topping the group or as a minimum going through the group. 

We need to stake a claim in the CL this year and put memories of that last embarrassing whimper of a CL campaign under BR behind us.

• The title was changed to Liverpool Discussion