talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

World Cup Qualifiers (CONMEBOL) October 5th and October 10th

football forum

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Blue said:

I'm a pessimist when it comes to Peru Cicero haha

I'm in Lima. I had originally planned to be part of the fiesta until 6 AM, but I refuse to celebrate until we qualify.

... I guess I can celebrate a good campaign but I'm not saying we are in until we are in.

All the shit you give me over England!

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, El_Loco said:

The Peru goal was unbelievable. It was an indirect free-kick. Had Ospina ignored it and let it in, it wouldn´be a goal, but he touched the ball. xD

Yeah they said that on Spanish tv. xD

But I suppose it was a natural reaction for a keeper to make and try ans save it.

Feeling quite emotional right now. As a Yank obviously I'm devastated the USA didn't qualify for the World Cup but (if I had to choose) I'd rather Messi and Argentina qualify each and every time over the USA.

Messi will play football only a little while longer, folks. Let's enjoy him and celebrate him. He's truly a blessing for all true lovers of football/the beautiful game/joga bonito (ironically enough innit). 

• Subscriber

What a crazy bunch of games today morning. So glad I got up at 5 to watch them. 

@Blue looks like you're still on edge and understandably so but congrats for getting something out of that when it looked hopeless at one point

• Administrator

Glad Argentina have qualified as a World a Cup wouldn't have been the same without them. 

And Peruvians around the world must be overjoyed they got the equaliser. Without they they were out. Winners all round on here. 

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

The whole talk around Messi today (especially their coach's quotes) remind me of Tendulkar and 2011 cricket World Cup.  Will be interesting to see if Messi gets his fairytale ending like Tendulkar. 

On a side note,  I am genuinely concerned for Ospina's well being. 

that would be bliss.

img_lbaquero_20171011-091431_imagenes_md

All of Argentina hail Messi as God

Total euphoria was lived last night in Argentina by the fans and by the media in general because the situation surrounding qualification for next summer's World Cup in Russia was very sensitive and looked more like doom and gloom than anything resembling the prelude to enjoying a game of football.  For the Argentinians it thankfully all finished in glory because of the dark outlook and thus all the euphoria.

The adjectives being used by the world's press in general this morning in reference to Lionel Messi are things everyone has seen before throughout the Argentina and Barcelona star's career.  It's been more Barça throughout his professional years as a player than Argentina for various reasons and that's not forgetting that Argentina got to a World Cup Final with the little genius in 2014...  But even then when there was eventual failure at the final hurdle like in the case of the two Copa América Finals too, the weight of the disappointment felt by the Argentinians has mainly been directed at Messi where at one point after years of criticism from his own he even announced his retirement from international football and representing his country.  Thankfully for not just the Argentinians, but also the world in general that simply wants to enjoy football and the greatest aspects about it, Messi reflected and changed his decision.

Why the "God" adjectives and references?

It's simple really...  The Argentinians aren't stupid because they live their football in detail like anyone else in their own country is inside the goings on to every small detail.  They know that this Argentina side isn't as good as it looks on paper.  Yes there are some excellent options in attack, options that many would love to have, but those options have always been unbalanced and at most there has had to be decisions made by the various coaches that have taken the job on to adapt a side into competitiveness when there hasn't been a level required in other areas to compensate for the options up front.  Dybala and Messi for example...  They can't play together and this was found out recently when Sampaoli tried it with the coach himself stating after one of the qualification games that it just can't be done right now due to losing too much in other areas.  Sabella on the other hand managed to compromise very well and without flair and entertainment, Argentina accomplished getting into three international finals...  The problem again as this paragraph started, it's been down to moments of brilliance and not football.  You have to have the comfort zone of at least knowing that there is a football plan that can be implemented with options and that hasn't been the case for years.

Messi last night as he's done in the past but not recognised, put Argentina into the World Cup next summer.  Yes it's true that the team worked extremely hard and all deserve credit but it was one man that rose above the rest, it was one player that not only made it happen, but decided off his own back that he would be the one dictating the rhythm in central midfield, putting himself in between the Ecuador defence and midfield so as to make the home side change how they wanted to play, he became the provider for spaces, and he finished the moments off with a hat-trick playing in altitude against a side they hadn't beaten in 12 years.

Hence the word "God" in reference to having knowledge and owning up to your own deficiencies.

People aren't stupid, people that know about football will know there is more to Messi than just goals, but throughout his career he's also come up with the goods by putting the ball in the back of the net in record numbers.

But most of all, people in the football world. the professionals, they aren't stupid and it's those people that should be listened to and read..  Here are some of the quotes from last night and some of the press;

Olé:  "It's thanks to you (Messi) that we are going to the World Cup next year.  We all have to apologise for not understanding what you've given us all these years when we thought it was all a different picture.  Three coaches, dozens and dozens of players later and when you're 30, only then have we suddenly understood it's all been about you."

El Gráfico:  "Thank you God!...  Thank you Messi!... We now come to terms with everything about you where Argentina is concerned.  Few will understand what the requirement was by playing in Ecuador where we've always found it almost impossible to win.  12 years later and with more questions about our whole team, one man took it all on his shoulders and delivered.  Thank you once again Messi."

La Nación:  "Let's start again...  Messi, can we start again with you?  We must all apologise and reflect because even the youngest Argentinian fan last night will have understood the job we had at hand and even the youngest mind wouldn't have dreamed that one man on his own could've done what you did.  Yes, everyone on your side relied around you and worked hard, as hard as they could.  But they (the players), like us, were looking to you for inspiration and a miracle.  You or your maker, whoever or whatever the reason is, made it happen.  Can we start again? Art, magic and divinity."

Página 12:  1507713991012.jpg

Jorge Sampaoli:  "Argentina, football, fans everywhere, the World Cup itself.  None of those could have next summer's tournament without Messi.  Only we know how hard the players worked out there tonight and the players all know who to thank and they're doing it right now as I speak to you all in this room."

Javier Mascherano:  "What can I say!  I can tell you that we put on a brave face these past two days for you guys (the press) and our people back home.  But even though we knew we would be giving our every drop of sweat out here tonight, we were very pessimistic because we know football and we know this game isn't won on paper with names.  We knew that aside from hard work without oxygen, we knew something more had to happen and for that we have to give thanks and praise that we have Lionel Messi.  Don't ask me about his three goals, tell me about everything else he did because I'm a footballer and I'm not a football fan."

4 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

This media hype for Messi because of a performance against Ecuador is all a little cringeworthy.

It’s Messi’s performance in the situation Argentina were in. His performance against Peru was also stellar while playing amongst mediocrity. 

10 hours ago, 11Neymar Ousmane Dembélé11 said:

Feeling quite emotional right now. As a Yank obviously I'm devastated the USA didn't qualify for the World Cup but (if I had to choose) I'd rather Messi and Argentina qualify each and every time over the USA.

Messi will play football only a little while longer, folks. Let's enjoy him and celebrate him. He's truly a blessing for all true lovers of football/the beautiful game/joga bonito (ironically enough innit). 

Wait...what?! Really?

Oh my...

• The topic was unpinned

Archived