talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

How Good Are You At Football?

football forum

On 10/1/2017 at 11:31 AM, Lucas said:

Never good enough to play professionally but more than adequate for a 'mate's level'.

I am a defensive player with a good eye for a pass. I don't play Saturday league 11 a side anymore but when I did it was RB. It bored me that too many games resulted in hoofing and not enough playing. I also seemed to get targeted by cloggers for being quite a slight person. To be fair, if I was lining up against me, I'd fancy a 50/50 against me in all because I don't look the imposing type. But appearance can be deceiving and I do get stuck in.

I play 5 a side only now. My main assets being my energy levels (one of the fittest there) and I'm good defensively. I mark players tight by making them play with their back to goal and always try to force them on their weaker foot. I have a good knack for timing my tackles too. 

There are people that play that have no defensive brain which frustrates me but it's also a compliment to me for being a good reader of the game. I can pick a good range of pass too but shooting is incredibly hit and miss. Let's just say 2 out of 10 shots end on target but those two will generally be corkers.

also you

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

CDM and RW on occasion, i played mid level. Ive gotten to out of shape to play anymore but i did from about 5 until i was 18. I was always a better hockey player but i enjoyed both. Still prefer watching football to playing, probably always did.

Played since I was very young. When I was younger I played eleven a side Saturdays and Sundays, training in the week, football at school, and the countless kick abouts with my brothers in the garden or down the park where I use to pretend to be Shearer or Zola. The amount of football I played from the age of 5 to 18 probably hasn't helped me in terms of injuries as I'm quite injury prone but that's something I've learned to stop and manage with regards to football now.

Played to a decent level when I was younger, was mainly a striker but that changed as I got older and lost some pace. Biggest thing I perhaps received was getting singled out by Gary Linekar and Chris CoIeman (I played against their sons on separate occasions) that I was a decent player. I now play defensive mid which I love and enjoy having the game in front of me. Play eleven a side when I'm home, had a 5- side team at Goals last year and me and my mates are still young at heart in terms of we're still going down the park or to Goals whenever we can. I'm always looking to play wherever I am, I'm currently living in Spain so we'll be playing here as well soon.

I'm a small energetic player that loves to play but at the same time I do a lot of the defensive work for my team in midfield. Sunday League can piss me off as it's a lot of hoofing, sometimes you come out of games and think was that even a football match? I'm lucky that my team is the best footballing team in our league but we never do as well as well should, perhaps similar to Liverpool or Arsenal to relate it to a team today. Great to watch but has defensive problems.

Had some ups and downs throughout my career. Started off at u7 as a striker, but as I got older, I was turned into a left back/left midfield at high school where we won the state championship. Scored some winning penalties and goals on the way to that final but then did fuck all during it! Also was lucky enough to represent Western Australia Under 19 State Schoolboys in a national tournament.

Club wise was playing in the semi pro leagues up until 22. Made some poor choices and lacked confidence when I was trying to break through into the semi pro premier league first teams. Didn't help by then I was playing centre back in the reserves and I stand only 5 foot9ish.

Stopped playing in 2010, and then again from 2014-2016. Back into it now in the top Sunday league and am usually a defensive midfielder who chips in with a few goals and assists. Perhaps known for my intense work rate and defensive work. Kante style. I could've perhaps gone further had I worked harder/had a bit of luck/didn't discover alcohol.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived