talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Man Utd Looking To Expand Old Trafford To 88000

53 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

What if you come from a city like Bath? You're not gonna supoort Bristol city are you? Like I said a lot of people who support big clubs support them from a young age. A lot of them still support local clubs as well.  No one have ever made a law saying you have to support a local club it is up to an individual and not really anyone elses business

Bath is geographically similar to Durham, of match goers in Durham the city is divided between people who go to Newcastle games and people who go to Sunderland games. Any divergence between Bath and Durham is most likely to be caused by social class in the pre-television era, mass working class indoctrination of the locals, rather than the idea that you can't support Bristol City.

I have entertained guests who support Newcastle who aren't from anywhere near the city, they come for a one off visit every now and then and submerge themselves in Geordie culture. That is a lot different from an overwhelming swarm descending on the champions league clubs on a weekly basis and displacing people. In Arsenal's case, gentrifying the ability to go to a football match.

It's a free country, so if you believe in the Thatcherite no such thing as society free for all individual fashionista approach to football then that is your prerogative, but you cannot hide from the fact that this alters culture in favour of the middle income earners (hence why it is a Thatcher policy). There has to be a balance that is capable of preserving social inclusion and importance in the local community.

If, as in the Thatcherite dream, nobody had any affinity to their local community, then there wouldn't be anybody at any football matches other than to see the top 6 teams.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I live in Bristol mate no one from bath would support city

You clearly seem to really be against supporting clubs from other city's I'm not. I think it's fine if you support them from a young age and a personal choice

Archived