talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Markus Babbel: "Ribery thinks he is like Ronaldo & Messi"

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/ribery-thinks-he-ronaldo-and-messi

'Ribery thinks he is like Ronaldo and Messi!'

Markus Babbel has slammed Franck Ribery in the wake of Carlo Ancelotti's sacking as Bayern Munich head coach.

Franck+Ribery+nQxOziRzPSvm.jpg

Franck Ribery still sees himself as being on the level occupied by Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi, according to former Bayern Munich star Markus Babbel.

Babbel has slammed Ribery, who is out injured after suffering a serious knee ligament injury against Hertha Berlin on Sunday, in the wake of Carlo Ancelotti's sacking as Bayern head coach.

Ancelotti was removed from his position last week after a 3-0 Champions League defeat away to ex employers Paris Saint-Germain, in which he left big names like Ribery and Arjen Robben on the substitutes' bench.

Babbel was frustrated to see the blame for Bayern's slow start to 2017-18 placed on Ancelotti and feels Ribery, 34, represents a fading force.

"Franck Ribery has not scored a goal in the Champions League in the last two years," Babbel said to Sky 90.

"He still sees himself on the same level as Cristiano Ronaldo or Lionel Messi. But the truth is different. The truth is when it matters, he is not there.

"It is a bit annoying for me that the whole thing is now shifted to Carlo Ancelotti. Ribery has great merits for the club and has been a fantastic player. But this position he once held is one he cannot now fulfil in my eyes."

Ribery threw his shirt into the substitutes' bench when Ancelotti replaced him in the closing stages of last month's home Champions League win over Anderlecht.

"This is an absolute no-go for me," added Babbel, who won three Bundesliga titles with Bayern.

"The club would have had to react – but this is exactly the problem. If Franck Ribery is offended, he calls Uli Hoeness and then you have already lost as a coach.

"For me, some Bayern players live too much in the past. We were world champions, we won the Champions League many times.

"But it is about the actual state of the team and I would be very surprised if Carlo Ancelotti did not recognise this and set his team up accordingly [against PSG]."

Apparently Ribery calls Uli Hoeneß every time the coach does something he doesn't like. What an unbearable, arrogant, piece of shit. 

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For many years Ribery was one of the best wingers in the world, you can't take that away from him.

Nowadays he isn't on that level anymore and it sure seems that he is past it.

I don't know why players like Ribery and Robben (who is still very important for Bayern) cannot accept that they are not 20 anymore and need some rest from time to time.

This will be a problem for the new coach as well. I'm tempted to say that he can almost be lucky that Ribery is out for the next months.

• Subscriber
35 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

He really did deserve the Ballon d'or in that 2012/13 season. Since then hes been perpetually injured and now hes passed his prime. Babbel is just a sour cunt.

I never liked Babbel, but his quotes are taken a bit out of context in this article. This was part of the debate on Sky90 on Monday where the main topic was the current situation at Bayern, especially how/why Ancelotti lost the control of the dressing room and what is going wrong in general (aging squad with players living in the past, fitness problems, lack of training, etc) and those comments about Ribéry were a part of it. I found the part about the power vacuum at the club after Sammer left especially interesting.

1 minute ago, nudge said:

I never liked Babbel, but his quotes are taken a bit out of context in this article. This was part of the debate on Sky90 on Monday where the main topic was the current situation at Bayern, especially how/why Ancelotti lost the control of the dressing room and what is going wrong in general (aging squad with players living in the past, fitness problems, lack of training, etc) and those comments about Ribéry were a part of it. I found the part about the power vacuum at the club after Sammer left especially interesting.

You must have been very, very, very bored on Monday. xD

Just now, nudge said:

Haha. I actually listened to it as a podcast while working :P 

Fair enough. I just cannot watch the Sky coverage (including their shows) at all. :ph34r:

Imo they have a real talent in finding the most narcissistic moderators and the most uninteresting experts and guests xD

But of course it's an awesome idea that they always dress the same.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Faithcore said:

Fair enough. I just cannot watch the Sky coverage (including their shows) at all. :ph34r:

Imo they have a real talent in finding the most narcissistic moderators and the most uninteresting experts and guests xD

But of course it's an awesome idea that they always dress the same.

Sky coverage is horrible, but to be fair, it's not as if there's any better alternative xD 

All current football talkshows just look like a place for football retirees to meet and pretend to still be relevant... I'd stick to Zeigler, even if that has lost its appeal as well, but at least he doesn't take himself seriously :D 

• Subscriber
On 10/4/2017 at 8:45 AM, nudge said:

If its in english would you have a link? im curious what they have to say about Sammer. Theres been alot of scuttle about the impact he had more recently with the way everything has gone down.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

If its in english would you have a link? im curious what they have to say about Sammer. Theres been alot of scuttle about the impact he had more recently with the way everything has gone down.

No sorry, it's in German only... They basically said that there's a power vacuum in the club ever since he left and senior players started taking advantage of it, especially those with more influence, and that there was a huge gap between the players and the manager which was previously filled by Sammer. Salihamidzic was unable to replace him in that sense as he's seen more as a "mate" by the players, but not as someone who commands respect, so basically the power balance was completely off, and it only got worse with upper management supporting the players rather than the coach. 

6 hours ago, Viva la FCB said:

He really did deserve the Ballon d'or in that 2012/13 season. Since then hes been perpetually injured and now hes passed his prime. Babbel is just a sour cunt.

But don't you think it needs to be said? Otherwise how will it change....?

Archived