talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Everton reject Zidane in favour of Marco Silva

football forum

football forum

Carlo Ancelotti is currently the favourite at 4/1 (I'd honestly cream my pants and show my arse if it happens) with David Unsworth and Paulo Fonseca behind him in the running. With names being thrown around like they're going out of fashion who will be the next Everton manager should Ronald Koeman get the sack?

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Ancelotti is favourite on Sky Bet but that's probably because a few Everton fans have slapped money on him in blind hope. Paddy Power had Dyche as favourite at about 2/1 while he's about 14/1 on Sky Bet. There was an article linking us with Mazzari after the Burnley game which I found absurd but the bottom line is there's nothing to go off which says to me that the club isn't planning anything or sounding anyone out because then there'd be stuff leaking to the media. Depressing.

• Subscriber

Craig Shakespeare ;)

Ancelotti in theory should be ridiculous but he's made noises about wanting to come back to England, Everton have proven they aren't scared to spend a bit and there's an obvious scope to actually do something there. The only other club towards the top with a manager under threat I think is Conte and there's no way he'd go to anyone outside the traditional top 7 I don't think.

Ancelotti would relegate Everton then go on to manage Barcelona the next season. The bloke is past it, but I doubt sometimes he ever really 'had it'. A very up and down manager, when things are smooth sailing; medals are on the horizon but the moment things turn sour he can never steady the ship.

15 minutes ago, Spike said:

Ancelotti would relegate Everton then go on to manage Barcelona the next season. The bloke is past it, but I doubt sometimes he ever really 'had it'. A very up and down manager, when things are smooth sailing; medals are on the horizon but the moment things turn sour he can never steady the ship.

I don't know, it could be just me, but I would suggest if the bloke has won three Champions Leagues (forgetting the 16 other trophies he's won as a manager) then he's definitely 'had it'.

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

I don't know, it could be just me, but I would suggest if the bloke has won three Champions Leagues (forgetting the 16 other trophies he's won as a manager) then he's definitely 'had it'.

Have a look at the teams he had, then have a look at his record in the leagues. This is the bloke that struggled in Serie A with that  Milan team of the early 00s, choked away a league against Barcelona, and lost P$G to Montpellier...choked away another CL to the weakest winners of all time (maybe tied with Chelsea), showed remarkable tactical inflexibility during his second year at Chelsea...

I don't know, it could be just me, but maybe the guy isn't all he is cracked up to be.

Ancelotti is the only realistic candidate with the experience but would he be interested and would he be the right fit?

You're best off giving Koeman more time. The board didn't replace Lukaku, and he's got both Coleman and Barkley to come back. He will turn this around comfortably. Stop buying in to media pressure.

8 hours ago, Spike said:

Have a look at the teams he had, then have a look at his record in the leagues. This is the bloke that struggled in Serie A with that  Milan team of the early 00s, choked away a league against Barcelona, and lost P$G to Montpellier...choked away another CL to the weakest winners of all time (maybe tied with Chelsea), showed remarkable tactical inflexibility during his second year at Chelsea...

I don't know, it could be just me, but maybe the guy isn't all he is cracked up to be.

You need to put things in context though. No one has ever said he will go down in the elite but equally, I think he's been one of the better managers of his generation albeit a tier below the likes of Mourinho and Ferguson IMO.

A lot of people always judge Ancelotti on his time at Milan, and whilst he unquestionably built a great team that should have had more trophies to their name, especially their his lack of domestic success as you said. That will always hurt him as he they only managed 1 title, though he did mix in CL success instead and won 2 titles.

It's also a bit hard to judge his latter Milan years when they were implicated in the Calciopoli scandal, and by the end the squad was aging and they ran in to a brilliant Inter side who reached 97 points one year and reeled off 3 titles in a row.

He had a good side at Juventus as well and maybe should have nicked a title there, but missed out by 2-3 points in both seasons. Serie A was pretty competitive back in those days though with Roma and Lazio being top sides as well.

He had a good first season at Chelsea doing the PL & FA Cup double, then missed out on a trophy all together the next season. They were missing firepower that year, Drogba had dropped off massively and Torres turned out to be a waste of money in January, unfortunately he didn't have any success in Europe to sustain coming 2nd in the league. I still think somewhat harsh his departure there given what he achieved in year one.

When he went to PSG, they weren't far off Montpellier when he came in and with the squad he had, he probably should have overturned that deficit in my opinion, but had he had the full season he'd have probably won it. And you have to hand it to Montpellier also for putting together such a good run. Won the league second year and put in a decent showing in the CL that became a bit of a platform for future success, going out in the QF's to Barca on away goals only.

At Real, I thought overall had a pretty good spell, finished 3rd in the league first year but Atletico were inspired that season, and won the CL the first real success they had in the competition for about a decade. Won the Copa Del Rey as well. 2nd season they were pretty unlucky not to win the title, 92 points and 118 goals would normally win you the league.

Bayern for whatever reason seem to have fallen a bit behind this season. Last year wasn't bad, he won the title at a canter still and in the end, lost to a fantastic Real Madrid side in the CL.

Another thing I like about Ancelotti is that after some early stubbornness, he learned from his mistakes in adopting systems over talent and became more versatile. Went from a rigid Sacchi inspired 4-4-2 to a 4-3-1-2 at Milan and then adopted the Christmas tree (and arguably made Pirlo the player he is today), switched between a 4-4-2 diamond and 4-3-3 at Chelsea etc.

I think there's a lot of managers that would take winning a league in Italy, England, France and Germany as well as winning three Champions Leagues so overall, he's definitely been a success than a failure. To suggest any different would be harsh.

I really don't think Everton fans should be wishing so hard for Ancelotti. He's undoubtedly a great manager, but I think his specialty is the exact opposite of Everton's situation.

He's brilliant at coming up with systems that are individually tailored for different world class squads, and then keeping them happy and running smoothly, and he only tinkers things slightly for certain opponents in the CL. 

He's not an intense, league-focused coach. He strolled the Bundesliga when Tuchel started having a slight struggle with Dortmund's shape, and they had also been gutted the summer before.

This season you can see how he responds to serious adversity in the league. Dortmund looked decent again and the players realised he couldnt inject the kind of intensity that saw Bayern stroll it even against top Dortmund sides. 

I don't think he's the kind of manager to pull a team away from the relegation region. 

5 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

Thought of somebody that should be a good fit whilst my mind was procrastinating at the gym : Lucien Favre.

He was on the shortlist to replace Martinez but didn't want to wait and took the Nice job. 

• Subscriber
On 10/17/2017 at 0:57 PM, Inverted said:

I really don't think Everton fans should be wishing so hard for Ancelotti. He's undoubtedly a great manager, but I think his specialty is the exact opposite of Everton's situation.

He's brilliant at coming up with systems that are individually tailored for different world class squads, and then keeping them happy and running smoothly, and he only tinkers things slightly for certain opponents in the CL. 

He's not an intense, league-focused coach. He strolled the Bundesliga when Tuchel started having a slight struggle with Dortmund's shape, and they had also been gutted the summer before.

This season you can see how he responds to serious adversity in the league. Dortmund looked decent again and the players realised he couldnt inject the kind of intensity that saw Bayern stroll it even against top Dortmund sides. 

I don't think he's the kind of manager to pull a team away from the relegation region. 

That is in a nutshell why I think him coming here would be a bad fit also. Some people can't look objectively though, see a name and think it guarantees success regardless of everything else.

That's not me saying he's a bad manager either by the way, but when did he last manage a situation like ours or Everton's?

• Subscriber

Unsworth now in to 5/2 with Ancelotti drifting to 11/2. In the absence of any real standout alternative I'd be happy to give Unsworth the chance though with his lack of managerial experience at senior level it's got the potential for a Shakespeare scenario written all over it with us finding ourselves here again in 12-18 months.

• The title was changed to Allardyce Sacked; Silva Tipped to Take Over

Archived