talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Everton reject Zidane in favour of Marco Silva

football forum

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Started off well at Watford before throwing his toys out the pram when he couldn't get his move to Everton. Had a decent half a season with Hull City even though they did still get relegated.

He has ultimately not got either team he's managed in England what they wanted but he is a good manager. Maybe with a full season, with a more talented squad and without him being distracted will lead him to finally being successful here although I'm unsure what Everton's immediate target is.

Who changed the thread title? 😂

Decent appointment. Now it's time to invest in some technical players and a sturdy defence. Be interesting to see what happens when he passes the 6 month mark.

When we first got to see a Silva team it was the relegation threatened Hull City, who to be frank, looked doomed before his arrival. I went to Chelsea's game at Hull and they looked terrible. Completely unorganized n lacking in quality.

Moving forward to the reverse fixture at Stamford Bridge and the new manager Silva had used the winter window to make a number of loan moves and had been rewarded with a few wins.

You would not believe the difference in Hull from the earlier fixture & I would agree with Silva, Chelsea were lucky to win that day.

He impressed me enough to think he could save Hull.

Moving onto Watford, people seems to have forgotten the wonderful start they had with him in charge until the Everton story broke.

Now he turns up at Everton.

Lots of peoples opinions of him are now going to be tested, including mine.

I think he is a manager for the future & a fine appointment by Everton.

Time will tell how patient everybody there will be.

On the face of it, it seems like Everton have gone full circle from when Everton first appointed Martinez. 

What they need is some form of stability really. Avoid the culture of chopping and changing managers and build gradually to a top six finish.

• Subscriber

We will see how this goes. I think Marcel Brands is the more significant appointment of the two if he's to play a similar role to the one he played at PSV. Time to get to work on the squad now.

1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

We will see how this goes. I think Marcel Brands is the more significant appointment of the two if he's to play a similar role to the one he played at PSV. Time to get to work on the squad now.

Has Walsh been sacked yet?

Just now, Cannabis said:

Yeah, sacked and replaced with Brands.

That's quality news for you lot.

I know Walsh did well with recruitment at Leicester... but whoever signed off on his transfers last summer really should have stepped in and asked questions like "can you explain why we should go ahead with this?" Brands' tenure at PSV is much more impressive than Walsh with Leicester though - should be a massive upgrade. Assuming he doesn't fall for the same game of signing players that don't really fit in.

• Subscriber

Brands spent his first interview talking about the academy a lot and looking at which players need leaving apparently.

Only found out last week that Sandro and Klaassen are on 120k a week each apparently. Rooneys wages obviously are huge too, I think it'll be a relief if and when he moves to America as I can't see him fitting well into a Silva team.

Just now, RandoEFC said:

Brands spent his first interview talking about the academy a lot and looking at which players need leaving apparently.

Only found out last week that Sandro and Klaassen are on 120k a week each apparently. Rooneys wages obviously are huge too, I think it'll be a relief if and when he moves to America as I can't see him fitting well into a Silva team.

xD holy fucking shit, that's mental

• Subscriber
21 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

xD holy fucking shit, that's mental

I might be mistaken as I tend to listen to Everton/football podcasts while playing FIFA but pretty sure that's what they said and it fits in with the "kids in a sweet shop" approach that we took to transfers last summer.

Think it's fair to say we only know that Silva starts well at clubs but nothing more. Wouldn't be over the moon with the appointment if I was them but it's certainly preferable to watching what they did last season. More chance it could go horribly wrong at the same time though too

2 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I might be mistaken as I tend to listen to Everton/football podcasts while playing FIFA but pretty sure that's what they said and it fits in with the "kids in a sweet shop" approach that we took to transfers last summer.

Shades of FSG's first transfer window with us & Damien Comolli; although those wages are totally mental. They're on more than Mane if that's true - which is mental.

• Subscriber
On 5/31/2018 at 21:19, Dr. Gonzo said:

That's quality news for you lot.

I know Walsh did well with recruitment at Leicester... but whoever signed off on his transfers last summer really should have stepped in and asked questions like "can you explain why we should go ahead with this?" Brands' tenure at PSV is much more impressive than Walsh with Leicester though - should be a massive upgrade. Assuming he doesn't fall for the same game of signing players that don't really fit in.

Walsh was never a director of football for us. In hindsight it looks quite a short-sighted move from Everton as they put a bloke who was head of recruitment in charge as director of football when the two roles themselves are different.

He'd also never worked in a situation at Leicester like the one at Everton. I think he's still capable of overlooking a scouting team that can unlock these gems, but when Everton are spending that much money on players, are they really going to accept signings from Ligue 2?

The likes of Vardy and Mahrez grew with Leicester after starting here in the Championship.

Brands is a better fit than Walsh.

Also our head of recruitment has actually left to become director of football at West Ham supposedly, so don't be surprised if Walsh ends up back here, although I wonder if he'll just retire now.

• Subscriber

Think the reservations over Silva are perfectly fair but I still think he's shown some really good signs as a manager as well. Rando's point is correct that while he's not guaranteed to do as well as Allardyce, you'd also say he's got a better chance of taking them higher too. With Allardyce I reckon Everton are probably a permanent in 7th-9th. Silva I think widens that range significantly either way. It's a gamble but I think he'll come good.

Archived