talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

What Really Grinds My Gears?

football forum

On 25/03/2017 at 1:51 PM, Aaroncpfc said:

People that drive in London. Nobody gives way, it's always your fault if you brake suddenly, someone will bib you if you don't set off as soon as that light turns amber, and so much traffic is started because people try to cut in queues. The sad thing is you don't notice it until you drive out of London and you see people giving way, apologising for mistakes, abiding by the highway code and driving in a patient manner how civilsation should actually work.

God I hate London. Damn you inflating house prices for keeping me here :468_violin:

Trust me, people drive like cunts everywhere. Especially annoying when some cunt cuts you up or pulls out, then starts gesticulating at you. Livid.

47 minutes ago, Cure said:

People who are never willing to take blame for any of their actions.

Worse than that is when they see that it's their fault and they have no way of winning the argument, they go onto search for something you may have said or done in the past.

• Subscriber
11 hours ago, Batard said:

Being over caffeinated 

ohhhh I feel you. I love coffee, and I used to drink at least 2-3 cups a day for the last 20 years or so, but recently, I just can't handle caffeine anymore... It started a year ago maybe, and I would feel a bit dizzy after having just a single cup, last month it was even worse, I thought I was going to die after I had a cup after breakfast in a hotel haha... didn't have any coffee for a month afterwards and switched to decaf now, can finally enjoy it again. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, EvertonGirl said:

People who smoke in a crowd.

I've no problem with you smoking, that's our life choice, but when you smoke in a crowd, everyone surrounding you has to inhale your toxic fumes and as a non smoker, I truly hate it. 

I feel you there. It's absolutely disgusting when you're in the line of fire. What does it for me is people who smoke in vehicles. On numerous occasions I've been forced to sit in cars with a smoking driver who refuses to open the windows. If you want to damage your health then so be it. To force it on me is wrong.

Edited by Cure

• Administrator

smoking in general does my head in.

i know a few people who's relatives have passed away recently, dying of cancer. They were heavy smokers.

I don't see the logic in continuing to smoke when you're aware of the effect it can have on someone, let alone that someone being a loved one. 

• Administrator
40 minutes ago, nudge said:

ohhhh I feel you. I love coffee, and I used to drink at least 2-3 cups a day for the last 20 years or so, but recently, I just can't handle caffeine anymore... It started a year ago maybe, and I would feel a bit dizzy after having just a single cup, last month it was even worse, I thought I was going to die after I had a cup after breakfast in a hotel haha... didn't have any coffee for a month afterwards and switched to decaf now, can finally enjoy it again. 

Caffeine is horrendous for the body and mind, I used to consume so much I would have heart palpitations and wake up suffering from anxiety. Cut back on caffeine and surprise surprise my health improved

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Batard said:

Caffeine is horrendous for the body and mind, I used to consume so much I would have heart palpitations and wake up suffering from anxiety. Cut back on caffeine and surprise surprise my health improved

Same here, last time I thought I was having a heart attack haha. Feeling great after quitting it. Quit smoking almost 3 years ago too, just have an occasional cigarillo every once in a while now.

At least I can still handle my alcohol :ph34r: 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, nudge said:

Same here, last time I thought I was having a heart attack haha. Feeling great after quitting it. Quit smoking almost 3 years ago too, just have an occasional cigarillo every once in a while now.

At least I can still handle my alcohol :ph34r: 

I recently quit smoking again having started up last summer. Glad to get off it to be honest. My heart was screaming bypass harbinger. 

Hangovers. They are worse with age!

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Batard said:

I recently quit smoking again having started up last summer. Glad to get off it to be honest. My heart was screaming bypass harbinger. 

Hangovers. They are worse with age!

To be fair, I never had proper hangovers, but it's definitely getting harder to function after a good night out haha... I just pop an Aspirin+C soluble into a glass of water once I get up, and I'm good to go, it does miracles to me!

Nothing like a fantastic espresso at 5 in the afternoon although it has to be proper coffee made by a barista that knows what he/she is doing.  I only know of one place in London that does a proper coffee and that's Bar Italia (Frith Street) in Soho.

As for smoking...  I gave up two years ago (although I resorted to vaping) and started recently (although no more than 5 a day) once I had my son.  I don't mind people smoking near me even when I'd given up I didn't care.  The worst tend to be ex-smokers who become absolute hitlers.

• Upvote 1

People that parade their heritage around, particularly in colonial nations like the USA and Australia. Just because your nonna made-a gnocchi once-a month-a doesn't mean they are fucking Italian. For starters these people can't speak the language, have never been to the country, and have no concept of the culture outside of a couple of fragments passed down from their great-great-grandparents. These people aren't XY nationality, they are American, Australian, Canadian, etc. 

'Yeah, I'm Italian, that is why I support Juventus and the Italian national team'.  - Says Johnathan Henry Rossi, born in New York and has never left the burrows.

These dickheads are the types that celebrated when Italy beat Australia in the '06 WC despite the fact they share nothing in common with an Italian besides a last name. It's always the damn Italians as well, no one holds onto a phony sense of heritage like they do.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Spike said:

Just because your nonna made-a gnocchi once-a month-a doesn't mean they are fucking Italian.

Obviously in New York I've witnessed this where Italian has been converted into something that isn't Italian in the slightest and where it was originally Neapolitan what they used to speak and now is a whole different jargon of Neapolitan words condensed and abbreviated containing even Anglo-Saxon phonetics in between.

But to my amazement I was in Rome for a concert of a girl that I really rate in the music world right now.  She was born in Long Island (New York, now resides in LA) who's real name is Laura Pergolizzi (from Neapolitan heritage) and has abbreviated her name to LP.  She is a singer songwriter and absolutely unique.  But in Rome when she directed herself to the crowd after the "Ciao Roma", she then resorted to English (as far as New York English can be called English).  She was later interviewed by a famous female Italian tv presenter on stage and she responded again in English.

It's a shame!...  How they can continue to call themselves Italian and the same goes for any other inhabitant of the US with European heritage is beyond me.  Language is the first sign of identity and culture before even food which is where they bed themselves in as proof of their aka identity.

I was born in London but at home my parents made sure that the only language spoken was Spanish (actually Galician but was sent to Spanish school after normal school if you get my meaning).  I speak Spanish and Galician like a native and I'm proud of that and thank my parents.  I now have a son who is now a second generation Brit but at home he only listens to Spanish and Italian which he now knows how to react to.  English is a given that it will be part of his nature as he lives and will be brought up here, so his heritage is protected apart from all the other aspects which are also offered at home.

Edited by SirBalon
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Obviously in New York I've witnessed this where Italian has been converted into something that isn't Italian in the slightest and where it was originally Neapolitan what they used to speak and now is a whole different jargon of Neapolitan words condensed and abbreviated containing even Anglo-Saxon phonetics in between.

But to my amazement I was in Rome for a concert of a girl that I really rate in the music world right now.  She was born in Long Island (New York, now resides in LA) who's real name is Laura Pergolizzi (from Neapolitan heritage) and has abbreviated her name to LP.  She is a singer songwriter and absolutely unique.  But in Rome when she directed herself to the crowd after the "Ciao Roma", she then resorted to English (as far as New York English can be called English).  She was later interviewed by a famous female Italian tv presenter on stage and she responded again in English.

It's a shame!...  How they can continue to call themselves Italian and the same goes for any other inhabitant of the US with European heritage is beyond me.  Language is the first sign of identity and culture before even food which is where they bed themselves in as proof of their aka identity.

I was born in London but at home my parents made sure that the only language spoken was Spanish (actually Galician but was sent to Spanish school after normal school f you get my meaning).  I speak Spanish and Galician like a native and I'm proud of that and thank my parents.  I now have a son who is now a second generation Brit but at home he only listens to Spanish and Italian which he now knows how to react to.  English is a given that it will be part of his nature as he lives and will be brought up here, so his heritage is protected apart from all the other aspects which are also offered at home.

Exactly. Language is the ultimate divider of people, forget skin colour, food, religion, and everything in-between. It all starts at language, communication and expression of personal identity and social identity. These people are American/Australian/New Zealander/Canadian! They are new countries but they are countries with young vibrant cultures that should be accepted and celebrated regardless of history. It may be slightly different for someone like myself as my native language is also the language of my heritage and my home nation derives it's cultural and societal values from England. My wife for instance can only speak English, with a vague handle on Tagalog. She is a first generation American but she is only that; an American. She may have a strong Filipino influence on her personal identity but the fact remains she is American; not Filipino. She is more Filipino than I am but far less Filipino than those that are from the country; if you understand me.

Even amongst a singular language; dialect, tone, and accent divides us. A native English speaker from Boston will be far more comfortable speaking to another Bostonian than a man from the ghettos of Compton; inside the same nation!

These people are kidding themselves and denying a sense of identity they should be proud of. They should embrace the nation that welcomed their ancestors and realise they've already fully assimilated.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Spike said:

I remember Esperanto was the language Rimmer of Red Dwarf just couldn't learn.

I recall my history teacher (Bomber Smith) going on about how Esperanto would one day be the universal language spoken by all nations.  He was always a boring git to be honest. :ph34r: