talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Rugby League

football forum

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought tickets to the fourth quarter final at the World Cup. It's A2 vs C1 so potentially England vs PNG which would be class, but if not then it'll either be Australia or Lebanon and I really hope it's not Lebanon for 50 bucks a ticket even if half the NRL are playing for whoever their granddad was from, Lebanon included

• 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Storm have been sensational. They're a superhuman team with three of the best players of all time in their ranks in Billy Slater, Cooper Cronk and Cameron Smith. 

Cowboys have been phenomenal to get to the Final but this is one game too far. They looked shot out there today. 

They were so good the game was in danger of being dull, thought the Cowboys were going to throw that chance of a Try away.

Squads released for the World Cup so far...

Image result for australia kangaroo logo rugby league

SQUAD: Billy Slater, Cameron Smith, Cooper Cronk, Cameron Munster, Felise Kaufusi, Jordan McLean, Will Chambers (Melbourne Storm), Ben Hunt, Matt Gillett (Brisbane Broncos), Jake Trbojevic, Tom Trbojevic (Manly Sea Eagles), Josh Dugan, Tyson Frizell (St George Illawarra Dragons), James Maloney, Valentine Holmes, Wade Graham (Cronulla Sharks) Boyd Cordner (Sydney Roosters), Michael Morgan (North Queensland Cowboys), Aaron Woods (Wests Tigers), David Klemmer (Canterbury Bulldogs), Josh Mansour Reagan Campbell-Gillard (Penrith Panthers)

Image result for england rugby league international team crest

John Bateman (Wigan), Kevin Brown (Warrington), Sam Burgess, Thomas Burgess (both South Sydney), Ben Currie (Warrington), Luke Gale (Castleford), James Graham (St George), Ryan Hall (Leeds), Chris Heighington (Cronulla), Chris Hill (Warrington), Josh Hodgson (Canberra), Jonny Lomax (St Helens), Jermaine McGillvary (Huddersfield), Mike McMeeken (Castleford), Sean O’Loughlin (Wigan, captain), Mark Percival (St Helens), Stefan Ratchford (Warrington), James Roby (St Helens), Scott Taylor (Hull FC), Alex Walmsley (St Helens), Kallum Watkins (Leeds), Elliott Whitehead (Canberra), Gareth Widdop (St George), George Williams (Wigan).

Image result for new zealand rugby league international team crest

SQUAD: Roger Tuivasa-Sheck (New Zealand Warriors), Dallin Watene Zelezniak (Penrith Panthers), Jason Nightingale (St George Illawarra Dragons), Jordan Rapana (Canberra Raiders), Gerard, Beale (Cronulla Sharks/New Zealand Warriors), Brad Takairangi (Parramatta Eels), Dean Whare (Penrith Panthers), Peta Hiku (Warrington Wolves), Shaun Johnson (New Zealand Warriors), Thomas Leuluai (Wigan Warriors), Kodi Nikorima (Brisbane Broncos), Te Maire Martin (North Queensland Cowboys), Danny Levi (Newcastle Knights), Adam Blair (Brisbane Broncos/New Zealand WarriorsWarriors) captain, Martin Taupau (Manly Sea Eagles), Jared Waerea-Hargreaves (Sydney Roosters), Russell Packer (St George Illawarra Dragons/Wests Tigers), Addin Fonua-Blake (Many Sea Eagles), Nelson Asofa-Solomona (Melbourne Storm), Simon Mannering (New Zealand Warriors), Kenny Bromwich (Melbourne Storm), Joseph Tapine (Canberra Raiders), Isaac Liu (Sydney Roosters), Elijah Taylor (Wests Tigers)

Edited by Danny

On 12/08/2017 at 7:04 AM, Happy Blue said:

The NRL is the only rugby worth watching apart from Salford   ..i watch every Bulldogs, Rabbitohs and sometimes Raiders games just to see how the English players are getting on

So are salford the best team in the world like city and only not won the league because of injuries and referees?:banana:

Edited by Guest

• The title was changed to Rugby League - World Cup (26 Oct - 2nd Dec 2017)
10 minutes ago, Anton said:

Proper Rugby has their world cup in 2019.

Yeah that's where I got confused though your Australianness goes against you, League is class and so much more entertaining than Union. For all the "tactics" involved it's still generally lacking in skill compared to what you see in League every game.

I'll buy you a West Coast Pirates shirt when you get a team :D

• 2 weeks later...

A quality game to watch for one so low scoring but ultimately if you can't create chances to score then you won't.

We done well to turn the tide in the first half though Australia were never going to keep that level of relentlessness up that they had in the first 15 minutes.

The score line is obviously flattering to them but the performance gives something to build on. Didn't want us to lose but now it means we're most likely to finish 2nd which means I'll get to watch us in the QF.

Edited by Danny

I love a good bit of Rugby League, but I honestly think their world cup could be the worst of any sport. Every single time, you know with 99% certainty who the finalists will be, and you just have to watch the three or four decent sides embarrass everyone else or half-arse it for three weeks until they meet each other in the late rounds. There's the occasional high quality fixture early on like today's, but even then there was nothing riding on it because we all know both teams will qualify for the knock-out rounds.

This, by the way, is what the Champions League would be like if the 'league champions only' crowd got their way.

Edited by Burning Gold

7 hours ago, Burning Gold said:

I love a good bit of Rugby League, but I honestly think their world cup could be the worst of any sport. Every single time, you know with 99% certainty who the finalists will be, and you just have to watch the three or four decent sides embarrass everyone else or half-arse it for three weeks until they meet each other in the late rounds. There's the occasional high quality fixture early on like today's, but even then there was nothing riding on it because we all know both teams will qualify for the knock-out rounds.

This, by the way, is what the Champions League would be like if the 'league champions only' crowd got their way.

You've just described 20+ years of Premier League Football in a paragraph. 

9 hours ago, Burning Gold said:

The same can be said for Union with England, New Zealand, South Africa and Australia, even if there are more competitive international nations.

Northern Hemisphere sides are getting a battering down so far and I can't really see it changing. 

England should beat Lebanon but then they'll get PNG, though that's no walk in the park, even in Melbourne. 

The rest of the northern hemisphere countries won't win a game against Southern Hemisphere sides. 

• The title was changed to Rugby League