talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Champions League Quarter Final Draw

football forum

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

I'd say they're very balanced considering the sides remaining in the tournament and a bookies nightmare.  Will the bookies be conservative all over for the quarters?

Don't really know since i am shit at betting. I would lose a fixed bet

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, ATL said:

I understand, but they are out of place, even as Stan says below. Have they earned it, absolutely, but they just don't have the kind of team that the others left have.

You're probably right, and I'll be hoping the Leicester win the damn thing. But if you step away for a second and read the matchups, it's still very odd to me to see Leicester's name there. Couldn't be happier for them, but it's just still a little odd to see them listed with the other greats of European football history.

I think the Leicester fans are more aware than anybody how ridiculous it is to see their clubs's name amongst the names of such massive clubs. They were following a League 1 team around the country not so long ago, they don't need to be told how crazy it is. But that's football!

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, ...Dan said:

I think the Leicester fans are more aware than anybody how ridiculous it is to see their clubs's name amongst the names of such massive clubs. They were following a League 1 team around the country not so long ago, they don't need to be told how crazy it is. But that's football!

and it's the beauty of football in some respects!

8 years ago we were getting beaten by Tranmere in League One xD 

Dortmund vs Monaco should be fun. I can see more than 10 goals being scored over the two legs.

Leicester could advance here. Atletico won't score many goals like they never do. 2nd leg at home is an advantage.

Atletico are a different beast in Europe. Toss up between them as I like Atletico and I want Leicester to pull off a DiMatteo. 

Personally hope Ancelotti and Bayern get their revenge on Real. 

Juventus vs Barca was the tie I desperately wanted to see. Dybala vs Messi. Higuain vs Suarez. Juventus may have the best defence in Europe and a more balanced team, but with MSN, anything can happen. 

Monaco vs Dortmund should also be an exciting fixture. 

All great ties!

• Administrator

think SirBalon has been posting on the Leicester forum...

I heard from a good source that the first picker inadvertently shakes hands with someone prior to walking into the " balls room". That person has a solution on his hands that creates a magnetic force after two minutes. The balls have also been handled by the same person, 7 of them coated with a repellent, magnetic solution and one with the attraction solution on the Real Madrid ball.

You know what comes next!

3 hours ago, ATL said:

I understand, but they are out of place, even as Stan says below. Have they earned it, absolutely, but they just don't have the kind of team that the others left have.

They didn't have the kind of team that others in the Premier league had last season but still went all the way. You can't rule this team out against anybody for me.

Either way, very interesting draw. You couldn't ask for better at this stage to be honest.

• Subscriber

Flights for this are an absolute nightmare. I didn't realise how expensive Spanish trains were either.

I'm delighted I'm going to Atletico. I've been toying with the idea of going there for a couple of years and ironically we actually had a plan to go there next month for one of their league games but it fell through. Last chance saloon here and the best possible.

I can't wait for this. Could even top the last round.

Dont think I have seen a better draw in the recent past... almost every single match up is extremely poised... No clear winner for me in any tie except maybe Atletico having a good chance over Leicester. 

Will be outstanding if Leicester, Monaco or Dortmund go all the way and win it.

• Subscriber

Echoing what everyone else is saying which is how this draw panned out. Superb football coming up in the quarters and it looks like whatever the combinations that we're going to be entertained all the way to the finals. I like the Juve-Barca and Dortmund-Monaco games the most out of the list.

Surprised UEFA didn't draw Leicester with someone like Barca or Real but it wouldn't matter because they've been playing very well in this tournament and with their growing confidence anything is possible. Out of all those teams I'd like to see Dortmund or Monaco go all the way.

Hahaha! Real Madrid got Bayern! I'm delighted! Want Bayern to batter Real Madrid.

I actually think Leicester has a chance against Atletico, believe it or not.

Want Barca to meet Monaco at some point. Find that matchup intriguing.

Borussia Dortmund is a dark horse. They topped their group over Real Madrid, remember.

That said, I think Atletico, Bayern and Barca will make the semis. Dortmund and Monaco is a 50-50. Can't even call it.

It's interesting that the 2 teams considered the current best 2 in Europe were runner-ups in the Group Stage (Bayern and Real Madrid).

What's also interesting is the fact that ALL Champions League winners since 2007-2008 have been Group Winners (with the sole exception of Internazionale in 2009-2010, who finished 2nd to Barca in the Group Stages and knocked out the defending Champions Barcelona in the semis).

I'm sure this Group Winner pattern/trend repeats itself with the odd exception (like Internazionale) in seasons prior to 2008 too. I started watching football again after many years when the Guardiola Era drew me back in.

That means that 9 out of 10 of the past Champions League Winners were Group Stage Winners. That's not a negligible statistic. It's significant.

In fact, in recent seasons, ALL routes to the Final seem to go through Barcelona: Utd beat Barca in 2008 in the semis en route to winning it all, 2009 Barca treble winners, the aforementioned 2010 defeat of Barca in the semis by Internazionale, 2011 Barca Champions, 2012 Chelsea beat Barca in the semis and Bayern in the final, 2013 Bayern annihilated Barca in the semis and Dortmund in the final to become the first German Treble winners, 2014 Atletico reached the final by beating Barca in semis, 2015 Barca treble winners for the 2nd time, 2016 Atletico beat Barca in the quarters to reach final.

btw didn't have to look up any of that. Know it all by heart :)

This certainly shows a decade long level of Champions League consistency on the part of Barca! Wanna get to the Final? Gotta go through us!

Leicester's a Group Winner. As are Dortmund and Monaco :) 

Food for thought! :)

I think it's Juve's year.  There's something about them!  Their only question mark from my perspective is the midfield as it isn't as good as when they were beaten by Barça in the final two years ago.  In saying this...  Simeone and his Atlético Madrid are masters of all of this (bar the final).

Just now, Viva la FCB said:

Im still upset he left, hard one to let go.

But the Bayern board basically bullied him out. After all the time since he joined Bayern, after all his excellent performances they wouldn't give him more than €4.5m. Where as newcomer "Pummelfee" received €12m.

And then i remember some interviews in which Höneß and Rummenigge talked very negatively about him.

Archived