talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Holiday Thread

football forum

6 hours ago, nudge said:

Going to Vietnam early December for two-three weeks or so, depending on how much I spend on nightlife first few nights in Saigon xD Planning a few short bus, ferry and train trips while I'm there to see as much of the country as possible.

Am in PP 18-22. See ya there B|

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Lucas said:

Been planning for next year this weekend.

My GF wanted to learn a new language so I enrolled her on an adult evening class learning French. It ends in March and our two year anniversary is during this month so seems appropriate to take her to Paris. Neither of us have ever been. Any tips on location and where best to stay?

I'm also researching New York for December 2018. Again, any tips on where best to stay would be appreciated.

Managed to cross off a lot of the major cities to visit over the past few years so doing these two will make me quite content.

Paris is class, how long you going for? You'll deffo have to schedule in a second visit.

Budget for public transport, you can walk it all but I wouldn't recommend it, walking through the day is fine but it's when you wanna get home is the bastard. An entire day could be Arc de Triomphe, walk to the Eiffel Tower go up, come down, walk down the Champ de Mars and have a butchers at the Musee de l'Armee then walk from there to the River Seine. Pick some lunch up at a boat restaurant on the river, head over to the Place De La Concord and up the Champs Elysees.

Other than the obvious like Notre Dame and the Louvre (which I'd recommend doing together due to proximity), Le Jardin Du Luxembourg is probably the best park you'll ever go to and Montmatre has to be given a full evening, good food, artsy corner of the city and a fantastic view and if you can go in the Sacre -Coeur even better.

Paris is one of my favourite cities.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Danny said:

Paris is class, how long you going for? You'll deffo have to schedule in a second visit.

Budget for public transport, you can walk it all but I wouldn't recommend it, walking through the day is fine but it's when you wanna get home is the bastard. An entire day could be Arc de Triomphe, walk to the Eiffel Tower go up, come down, walk down the Champ de Mars and have a butchers at the Musee de l'Armee then walk from there to the River Seine. Pick some lunch up at a boat restaurant on the river, head over to the Place De La Concord and up the Champs Elysees.

Other than the obvious like Notre Dame and the Louvre (which I'd recommend doing together due to proximity), Le Jardin Du Luxembourg is probably the best park you'll ever go to and Montmatre has to be given a full evening, good food, artsy corner of the city and a fantastic view and if you can go in the Sacre -Coeur even better.

Paris is one of my favourite cities.

Well it would be a Friday to Monday. Probably get an early flight Friday to make the most of the day and have two full days before coming back the Monday.

Cheers for the feedback, it's really useful. I can definitely work with that in terms of planning what to do. These days, most cities are covered by an efficient metro service so more than happy to use this to get around Paris.

Is there any preferential area's to base yourself? Like, what region would be best to stay in? Near the Eiffel Tower, on the Champs Elysee or maybe somewhere else?

35 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Well it would be a Friday to Monday. Probably get an early flight Friday to make the most of the day and have two full days before coming back the Monday.

Cheers for the feedback, it's really useful. I can definitely work with that in terms of planning what to do. These days, most cities are covered by an efficient metro service so more than happy to use this to get around Paris.

Is there any preferential area's to base yourself? Like, what region would be best to stay in? Near the Eiffel Tower, on the Champs Elysee or maybe somewhere else?

Tbh as long as you're staying in the tourist area and not on the outskirts anywheres fine. I stayed a 15-20 min walk north of the Arc de Triomphe and that's the most westerly landmark you'll see.

26 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I always stay in Montmartre. It's a beautiful area.

I usually get this bus/metro pass: https://booking.parisinfo.com/il4-offer_i149-paris-visite-pass-pass-transport.aspx

Try to fit in a trip to Versailles, it's spectacular. Go to the catacombs if that interests you. Get ice cream from the man on Pont Alexandre III. Have a picnic at the Jardin des Tuileries. Relax at the Jardin du Luxembourg (I agree with Danny, it's my favourite). Sit by the Seine at night and drink wine. You may not like classical music but I'd highly recommend going to see a concert at Sainte-Chappelle, the stained glass is beautiful.

There's so much to do. I've been four or five times, and I don't think I'll ever get bored of it.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, ...Dan said:

I always stay in Montmartre. It's a beautiful area.

I usually get this bus/metro pass: https://booking.parisinfo.com/il4-offer_i149-paris-visite-pass-pass-transport.aspx

Try to fit in a trip to Versailles, it's spectacular. Go to the catacombs if that interests you. Get ice cream from the man on Pont Alexandre III. Have a picnic at the Jardin des Tuileries. Relax at the Jardin du Luxembourg (I agree with Danny, it's my favourite). Sit by the Seine at night and drink wine. You may not like classical music but I'd highly recommend going to see a concert at Sainte-Chappelle, the stained glass is beautiful.

There's so much to do. I've been four or five times, and I don't think I'll ever get bored of it.

Brilliant info, I appreciate that.

I'm not sure if we would go to see the classical music although I goggled Saint-Chapelle and it does look spectacular. I think we'd be more inclined to go to the Moulin Rouge, purely for the experience.

The Jardin du Luxembourg looks amazing. I quite like the idea of us hiring bikes and going round that as well as other stops. That way we would incorporate a picnic too.

Got a few trips upcoming before I got to New Zealand and Australia

- Next week I really want to see the Islas Ballestas, so I'm going 3 hours south of Lima to Paracas where I can take a boat and go to the islands. I'm a big fan of penguins and seals, which the Ballestas has plenty of. If I have enough time or nothing to do then I'll drive to Ica which is an hour away to stroll through the desert and also spend some time in the Oasis town of Huacachina.

- Trying to save up to get a trip to Guayaquil in November. Ecuador is one of the 4 countries in South America I haven't been to (the other 3 being Bolivia, Chile and Paraguay) so its time I check our neighbours up north off the list. Guayaquil looks a nice city. Heard its bloody hot though! Might be nice given how cold its been in Lima this winter xD

- Probably going to Ica again in december a week or 2 before I take my plane to Auckland. Maybe even Nazca, which I heard is a shithole but the nazca lines are there and I haven't been so maybe it would be worth a go.

11 minutes ago, nudge said:

That looks lovely.

I've been before to Ica and Paracas but never to the Islas Ballestas, and I love arctic animals so I'm going by bus for $7. I could probably do the trip in a day and could go back home, but I'll spend some time with the travellers there. 

The problem with Peru is that its a criminally underrated country. When people plan trips here, they immediately think of Machu Pichu but there are a ton of places here that people in the USA and Europe have never heard of that are lovely. I'm not even saying that as a Peruvian, many tourists have said the same. Machu Pichu and the Inca Trail are the best attractions, but you can also go to places like Colca Canyon in Arequipa, Rainbow Mountain in Cuzco, the amazon, the beaches in the north of the country, the Nazca lines, and andean culture.

I won't even forget to mention the food. When I see lists of best cuisines, its shocking that Peru are never mentioned when anyone who has tried the food here would argue its probably the best in the world. We don't help ourselves sometimes though in marketing I suppose. I can understand why Brazil has more tourists as well as Argentina to an extent, but Chile having more per year is quite shocking in my opinion.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Blue said:

I've been before to Ica and Paracas but never to the Islas Ballestas, and I love arctic animals so I'm going by bus for $7. I could probably do the trip in a day and could go back home, but I'll spend some time with the travellers there. 

The problem with Peru is that its a criminally underrated country. When people plan trips here, they immediately think of Machu Pichu but there are a ton of places here that people in the USA and Europe have never heard of that are lovely. I'm not even saying that as a Peruvian, many tourists have said the same. Machu Pichu and the Inca Trail are the best attractions, but you can also go to places like Colca Canyon in Arequipa, Rainbow Mountain in Cuzco, the amazon, the beaches in the north of the country, the Nazca lines, and andean culture.

I won't even forget to mention the food. When I see lists of best cuisines, its shocking that Peru are never mentioned when anyone who has tried the food here would argue its probably the best in the world. We don't help ourselves sometimes though in marketing I suppose. I can understand why Brazil has more tourists as well as Argentina to an extent, but Chile having more per year is quite shocking in my opinion.

I have heard so much about Peruvian cuisine being great by now that I'm actually going to find a proper restaurant and try it once and for all xD I'll report back afterwards.

And yes, world-famous tourist attractions are usually overrated to a certain degree. I personally try to avoid most of it due to them being absolutely crowded while similar but less-known alternatives are there to be enjoyed by yourself (or is less packed anyway).

5 minutes ago, nudge said:

I have heard so much about Peruvian cuisine being great by now that I'm actually going to find a proper restaurant and try it once and for all xD I'll report back afterwards.

And yes, world-famous tourist attractions are usually overrated to a certain degree. I personally try to avoid most of it due to them being absolutely crowded while similar but less-known alternatives are there to be enjoyed by yourself (or is less packed anyway).

Ceviche, Papa la Huancayina and Aji de Gallina are my favourite Peruvian dishes.

I wouldn't say world famous attractions are overrated, I'd just say that I wish some people would realize that there is more than that. Peru has a lot more than Chile yet they get more tourists.

• Subscriber

Well im off to Montego Bay, Jamaica for 7 days in a couple of weeks. My first time there if anyone has any feedback! My first vacation in nearly 3 years so im excited.

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g147311-d10714226-Reviews-Hotel_Riu_Reggae-Montego_Bay_Saint_James_Parish_Jamaica.html

Edited by Viva la FCB

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Anton said:

Minus the harbour - it's better than Sydney. :coffee:

We'll see but I doubt it...Sydney's got the best of everything.

It's strange going to a city and having no real things to do, I couldn't fit enough in when I went to Paris and Rome. Obviously much older cities but all I've got planned is a tour of the MCG.

Edited by Danny

1 minute ago, Danny said:

We'll see but I doubt it...Sydney's got the best of everything.

You are obsessed with Sydney that's true. To be fair, I liked both cities. I have only been in Sydney for a few days (went to watch us beat Iraq to qualify for the 2014 world cup) and did about 4 nights in Melbourne. Perth still wins.

1 minute ago, Anton said:

You are obsessed with Sydney that's true. To be fair, I liked both cities. I have only been in Sydney for a few days (went to watch us beat Iraq to qualify for the 2014 world cup) and did about 4 nights in Melbourne. Perth still wins.

Ha I live here that's why. Na I'm not that bothered about their rivalry in all honesty, I wanna come out here and enjoy Oz not start moaning about it. I know you've been to Sydney we spent a romantic evening together. It's a good city, you need to spend more time here. In terms of city and beach life it's perfect.

• Upvote 1