talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Buffon Set to Retire After Next Season

• Administrator

'maybe I'll do a Zidane and headbutt someone' xDxD 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39330100

Italy goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon will make the 1,000th appearance of his professional career in Friday's World Cup qualifier against Albania.

It will be his 168th Italy game, making him the most capped European player - above Spain's Iker Casillas and Latvian Vitalijs Astafjevs.

He needs another 17 caps to break the 184-appearance world record of former Egypt midfielder Ahmed Hassan.

"It's a huge pleasure," said the 39-year-old Juventus captain.

Buffon has conceded 799 goals in his 999 games for club and country so far.

He made his professional debut for Parma in 1995 at the age of 17 and his international debut two years later. He has played 612 times for Juventus since joining them in 2001.

A World Cup winner in 2006, Buffon has previously said he plans to retire after next year's tournament in Russia.

And he joked that he plans to go out as Zinedine Zidane did for France in the 2006 final - with a red card.

"Maybe, I'll do a Zidane and headbutt someone on the pitch."

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Have watched him for many years now and I'll miss the hell out of him, like I miss Zanetti and Maldini. After him and Totti retire, it'll be an end to an era in Serie A that was what make it one of the best leagues in the world.

Without equal. To play at the top for as long as he has and still captain both club and country age 40 is amazing; how many other world class keepers have risen, peaked and declined in the 15 or so years he's been at his consistent best? I really hope that before he calls it a day he can win that elusive CL title, he thoroughly deserves the success and it is probably the only omission from his accolades. It will be the end of an era when he and Totti retire, that is for sure.

Can we all just take a minute to appreciate his save from Inzaghi in the 2003 CL Final?

44 minutes ago, tlr said:

how many other world class keepers have risen, peaked and declined in the 15 or so years he's been at his consistent best?

First of all let me say that sensing the end of Buffon is sad...  It's always sad to see legends depart from the game because in cases where they've been around for so long it almost seems to become part of your psyche and a comfort feeling.  He has been and is a great of the game!

But responding to the part you've written...  A lot of that has to do with the fact that there's not been anything whatsoever to challenge him in Italy during that time to be honest.  Especially in the latter years!  He has infact been victim to some serious gaffs, something he himself owns upto constantly wherever he's interviewed because that's the type of guy he is and another of the major reasons as to why everyone loves and respects him.  He is a true football man, a legend before the legend is made a legend if you get my meaning.

Only now with the 18 year old Gianluigi Donnarumma (A Neapolitan it has to be said) is there something serious for the future between the sticks for the Azzurri.

13 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

First of all let me say that sensing the end of Buffon is sad...  It's always sad to see legends depart from the game because in cases where they've been around for so long it almost seems to become part of your psyche and a comfort feeling.  He has been and is a great of the game!

But responding to the part you've written...  A lot of that has to do with the fact that there's not been anything whatsoever to challenge him in Italy during that time to be honest.  Especially in the latter years!  He has infact been victim to some serious gaffs, something he himself owns upto constantly wherever he's interviewed because that's the type of guy he is and another of the major reasons as to why everyone loves and respects him.  He is a true football man, a legend before the legend is made a legend if you get my meaning.

Only now with the 18 year old Gianluigi Donnarumma (A Neapolitan it has to be said) is there something serious for the future between the sticks for the Azzurri.

I agree certainly that he has been aided by the lack of direct, on par competitors, and that Donnarumma is likely (just in time thankfully) to fill in the gaps he leaves behind for country (and club?); but I think my point still stands: whilst he's been at his zenith the likes of Casillas, Valdes, Cech and to a lesser extent others have all arrived and since departed from that level, but he's still there even today. That's not because of a lack of a modern Toldo to challenge him back home, it's because he's phenomenally talented.

10 minutes ago, tlr said:

it's because he's phenomenally talented.

Without a doubt he's a living legend in action.  On top of everything he's a model professional where character is concerned and loved by everyone everywhere no matter the nation or colours.  There is a curiosity with Buffon in the fact he's more rated abroad than in his homeland and that back in Italy Dino Zoff will forever be the iconic figure where Italian goalkeepers are concerned.  I lived through a large part of Zoff's career and to be honest the similarities on all aspects are tremendous.

3 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

He had a rough period around 2014, but has returned to his best recently. I can't see a reason why he doesn't have another 3 or more years in him.

As long as he gets a CL, there is nothing he needs to play for or prove after Russia.

• 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to Buffon Set to Retire After Next Season

He should've retired at the end of this season for me when taking everything into consideration. He has nothing to prove and Juve aren't going to win the Champions League next season.

All good things come to an end and it's Donnarumma's time now. 

Archived