talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Mental Health

football forum

• Administrator
17 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Can't post the link as I'm on my phone but Clark Carlisle is missing which is quite worrying when you think about his past.

thankfully was found in Liverpool. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Starting Monday, I think I'll start to seek professional help again. I've been suffering from depression and social anxiety since I was 14, and I always managed to "get by", even though my private and professional life suffered from it profusely. A week or so ago, some stuff happened that sent me right down a slide of shit. I haven't slept properly in a week, and I try to get some hours of sleep with the help of alcohol, which is of course, not a good solution. I've been having some bad thoughts recently, and I feel hopeless and like a reject every single minute of my life. Even the stuff I usually do to distract myself doesn't help anymore. I always thought everything will sort itself out, even though I've tried professional help sporadically. 

Ah well, felt good to get that off my chest. Now 1-2 more beers and then it's time to sleep for 2 or 3 hours. :ph34r:

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Tsubasa said:

Starting Monday, I think I'll start to seek professional help again. I've been suffering from depression and social anxiety since I was 14, and I always managed to "get by", even though my private and professional life suffered from it profusely. A week or so ago, some stuff happened that sent me right down a slide of shit. I haven't slept properly in a week, and I try to get some hours of sleep with the help of alcohol, which is of course, not a good solution. I've been having some bad thoughts recently, and I feel hopeless and like a reject every single minute of my life. Even the stuff I usually do to distract myself doesn't help anymore. I always thought everything will sort itself out, even though I've tried professional help sporadically. 

Ah well, felt good to get that off my chest. Now 1-2 more beers and then it's time to sleep for 2 or 3 hours. :ph34r:

Stay strong mate, another chance for Seb to redeem himself this weekend :ph34r:.

Seriously though, I've never been in quite so deep myself but it's good that you are going to see someone and doing so as well as openingly admitting it on here shows your real strength.

2 hours ago, Tsubasa said:

Sorry to hear mate.

Alcohol isn't the best way to medicate yourself, whilst I've never really been caught up under substance abuse, I have found myself drinking in the past far too much than I should have to subconsciously self medicate. It's a slippery road to go down.

What's your sleeping pattern like? Are you trying to sleep at regular/normal times or are you just going to bed whenever you feel mentally tired? I've been there myself, having OCD and specifically intrusive thoughts falling asleep can be the last thing on my mind, as much as my body would love it. It was only ever really when it got to the very early hours of the morning when I'd start to feel physically sick due to the lack of sleep that I'd fall asleep....just to wake up a few hours later for work.

Have you spoken to your employer about it? I'm not sure how it's effecting your worklife but I used to find that when it got that bad for me and I just wasn't sleeping, staying awake at work and just feeling normal in general was tough, I'd speak to my boss, explain the situation and then go home. Though the worst thing you can do is go to bed as you'll just completely put your body clock out of time, I used to run myself a bath and just sit in it for a couple of hours. That way I could get some rest, but wouldn't fall asleep completely as I'd wake up constantly.

15 hours ago, Danny said:

Sorry to hear mate.

Alcohol isn't the best way to medicate yourself, whilst I've never really been caught up under substance abuse, I have found myself drinking in the past far too much than I should have to subconsciously self medicate. It's a slippery road to go down.

What's your sleeping pattern like? Are you trying to sleep at regular/normal times or are you just going to bed whenever you feel mentally tired? I've been there myself, having OCD and specifically intrusive thoughts falling asleep can be the last thing on my mind, as much as my body would love it. It was only ever really when it got to the very early hours of the morning when I'd start to feel physically sick due to the lack of sleep that I'd fall asleep....just to wake up a few hours later for work.

Have you spoken to your employer about it? I'm not sure how it's effecting your worklife but I used to find that when it got that bad for me and I just wasn't sleeping, staying awake at work and just feeling normal in general was tough, I'd speak to my boss, explain the situation and then go home. Though the worst thing you can do is go to bed as you'll just completely put your body clock out of time, I used to run myself a bath and just sit in it for a couple of hours. That way I could get some rest, but wouldn't fall asleep completely as I'd wake up constantly.

Thank you! 

I try to go to bed between midnight and 01:00 during the week, in the hope that I'll get enough hours to function the next day. As I said, I use alcohol as a support to fall asleep. If I'm fully sober, I get maybe one hour of sleep per night. 

Well, I'm basically self employed and do some shitty job from home due to social anxiety. I don't earn enough to move to my own place, so I still live with my father, and have no "real life" so to say.  I have never learned a trait because I was sometimes too scared to go to job interviews etc. The social anxiety is one of the worst parts of my problems. Sometimes I tell myself to stop being such a pussy, but it's easier said than done.

11 hours ago, Tsubasa said:

Thank you! 

I try to go to bed between midnight and 01:00 during the week, in the hope that I'll get enough hours to function the next day. As I said, I use alcohol as a support to fall asleep. If I'm fully sober, I get maybe one hour of sleep per night. 

Well, I'm basically self employed and do some shitty job from home due to social anxiety. I don't earn enough to move to my own place, so I still live with my father, and have no "real life" so to say.  I have never learned a trait because I was sometimes too scared to go to job interviews etc. The social anxiety is one of the worst parts of my problems. Sometimes I tell myself to stop being such a pussy, but it's easier said than done.

Have you tried to set an earlier bed time? Or keep to an early alarm? Say set it at 8am everyday and then set a bed time between 9pm-10pm? It's difficult but having a routine can help you get back to sleeping.

Do you exercise much? Personally I can't speak highly enough for how exercise helps my anxiety. Setting a goal of say maybe 1-2 miles to start with and just running everyday or every other day helped me focus on something positive, obviously there's the benefits exercise brings but the feeling of accomplishment can help subside other worries. When I was training for for a fun run I don't think I've ever felt a. so focused and b. just balanced, not through the roof happiness, not down in the dumps depressed, just smooth sailing.

I don't know how you're with exercise or what you can and can't do but I'd definitely suggest  giving it a go.

Exercise is a good point. I had counseling today, and the guy basically told me to fuck traditional therapy and maybe join a team. He suggested martial arts and I might actually give it a go. Maybe I'll get better and become the next Conor McGregor in the meantime. 

1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I'd love to do martial arts just not got the confidence

You don't need confidence to do Martial Arts but it will build confidence so I would highly recommend doing something along those lines. Most classes these days cater from Beginner to Expert and some cater for most age ranges as well. You will find that there are a lot of Beginners who share some sort of worry when first joining so have a scout around your local area then pop along to see what sort of classes they do and what styles they teach and see if there is something to suit you. 

That's my problem at the moment as well. Want to do martial arts to build confidence, but don't have the confidence to go xD Ah well, I just have to kick myself in the arse and stop being a pussy. 

1 hour ago, Tsubasa said:

That's my problem at the moment as well. Want to do martial arts to build confidence, but don't have the confidence to go xD Ah well, I just have to kick myself in the arse and stop being a pussy. 

xD

Bite the bullet mate.. you wont regret it

• 1 year later...

How's everyone doing?

My heads not been too bad recently, OCD is simmering and I've been arguing a lot less than I used to. Almost feeling at peace, almost xD New job is relaxing too, so can't complain.

Been getting stuck into my comedy which has been good, has literally taken over my life in a good way...have managed to transfer my obsessive argumentative nature into obsessively writing jokes, a lot shit, some good, and one or two doing really well so far.

Hows the new dads/old dads new kids crew? @JOSHBRFC @DeadLinesman @Batard @Bluewolf?

Hows the exercise gone @Tommy?

And anyone I've not @'ed :bye:

• Subscriber
18 minutes ago, Danny said:

How's everyone doing?

Hows the new dads/old dads new kids crew? @JOSHBRFC @DeadLinesman @Batard @Bluewolf?

:bye:

Best thing ever mate. Really put a lot of things into perspective for me, i've matured more in the last few months than i have in the previous 5 years. 

What's your new job? And brilliant to hear the stand up is going well. I still can't believe you do that, mental xD.

I feel like my missus has OCD and we argue a lot. Anxiety/stress etc. 

3 minutes ago, JOSHBRFC said:

Best thing ever mate. Really put a lot of things into perspective for me, i've matured more in the last few months than i have in the previous 5 years. 

What's your new job? And brilliant to hear the stand up is going well. I still can't believe you do that, mental xD.

I feel like my missus has OCD and we argue a lot. Anxiety/stress etc. 

Ha yeah I bet, a proper kick up the arse.

Ah just doing payroll for a local council, fairly entry level stuff, but pays my bills and saves for my travels. Ha yeah I wouldn't have believed it 6 months ago mate but it's been fun.

I used to think it may have been something to do with something like autism, but my OCD can manifest itself in various ways and sometimes I can't go the day without starting an argument/debate, whether I'm right or wrong.

I have suffered from low self-esteem for most of my life, also felt like i was never good enough. My mood changes are my main problem for my mental health, i am always keen to smile to force to be in a good mood, pressing down the negative feelings. I at some point manage to find balance, in recent days i feel good. However i know that hiding the negative painful feeling can't be good on the long term.

11 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Last night was a fucking shitter. Sabrina had her jabs yesterday, so was crying all day and up from about 2-5. I feel like death. Broken sleep is horrendous.

Does not sound good, constantly sleep deprived or just every now and then?

7 minutes ago, True Blue said:

I have suffered from low self-esteem for most of my life, also felt like i was never good enough. My mood changes are my main problem for my mental health, i am always keen to smile to force to be in a good move, pressing down the negative feelings. I at some point manage to find balance, in recent days i feel good. However i know that hiding the negative painful feeling can't be good on along term.

Have you ever seen a therapist about it at all? Don't know a whole load about mood swings but I do suffer from getting overly irritable out of nowhere over stupid shit that completely sets my day down the wrong path

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, DeadLinesman said:

Last night was a fucking shitter. Sabrina had her jabs yesterday, so was crying all day and up from about 2-5. I feel like death. Broken sleep is horrendous.

Was that a 12 month thing? Sure i saw something on FB this morning. Not looking forward to that! The ones she's had already are bad enough. 

1 hour ago, Danny said:

Does not sound good, constantly sleep deprived or just every now and then?

It’s worse when it’s not consistent. Just got back to enjoying sleeping for 7+ hours a night.

1 minute ago, JOSHBRFC said:

Was that a 12 month thing? Sure i saw something on FB this morning. Not looking forward to that! The ones she's had already are bad enough. 

Yes mate, 2 injections in each thigh, 4 in total. Brutal.

Archived