The better place to talk football.

Football Manager 2017 - General Chat

football forum

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
13 hours ago, Aaroncpfc said:

I had an academy player who either turned up drunk or did something unprofessional whilst drunk on fm '14. I can't remember exactly what it was but I didn't fine him once I realised he did it celebrating his eighteenth birthday.

I had a player turn up drunk 24 times in the space of 2 years, fined 2 weeks wages every time, until I eventually had to sell him xD

• Subscriber
10 hours ago, Aaroncpfc said:

I'll need to double check but I'm pretty sure my FM '16 ended with Everton in league two and Barrow Town being promoted to The Premier League.

xD at the rate Everton go I find that believable. They are noticeably shit on FM.

I remember a save I had years ago, think it was on FM10, where Merthyr Tydfil absolutely flew up the leagues. They had a greyed out team to start with but ended up in a league where they managed to get a couple of regens, but not youngsters, aged about 24 - I think they got three of them and they were all Championship level at the absolute least, and they built a side around them. Sticks with me that they were pissing League One and won 0-5 at MK Dons who were about to go under. Don't think I ever saw what happened next.

AFC Fylde in the football league is actually believable mind you as they're quite well backed aren't they? But they have flown up even despite that. They've picked up consecutive promotions on my game.

It's mad some of the promotions and relegations you get. On my current save a team has gone straight down from the PL to League One in the last two years, first Middlesbrough then Huddersfield. Rochdale have just won the League One play-offs and are a League above Huddersfield, and it's really quite funny how much better Huddersfield's squad is even despite this.

I don't think there's much between my squad and Huddersfield's and I'm two leagues above them.

• Administrator
On 2017-4-30 at 4:17 PM, Aaroncpfc said:

I'm surprised none of you do press interviews. Since an Assistant Manager did a press interview for me back on fm'09 where he said we didn't have a chance of winning despite being on a winning streak and it bollocked up my whole season I've never been able to trust them.

On 2017-4-30 at 4:29 PM, Cannabis said:

Agreed.  Assistants can balls things up too often for me, I rarely let them handle press conferences.

Okay, so I'm on 42 points after 18 games in League One.

My assistant keeps getting asked the same question about 50 points being the magical number to survive. His response is 'I certainly hope it'll be enough; we'll just have to do our best to accumulate as many points as possible and see what happens' 

xD 

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Stan said:

Okay, so I'm on 42 points after 18 games in League One.

My assistant keeps getting asked the same question about 50 points being the magical number to survive. His response is 'I certainly hope it'll be enough; we'll just have to do our best to accumulate as many points as possible and see what happens' 

xD 

Seems like a top bloke.

I let my assistant handle interviews, actually I usually dish the job out to random staff like the Fitness Coach that can't speak English

A few news

- I'm not an FM researcher but given I have a lot of care for the club I work for, I've sent in the player profiles to the Peru head researcher who is a friend of mine and a few players from the team will be in FM 18. Keep in mind these players are all under 20 so perhaps some of you could sign them ;)

- Rijeka ended terribly so I'm with Aberdeen now. If I get past season 2 I will update on a seperate thread. For now, just on here.

I'll also look at the world rankings list, then look at some of the top 30-50 countries (depends how much I can be arsed), filter by age and see who's playing in the national first team aged 17-21.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, R-D said:

I'll also look at the world rankings list, then look at some of the top 30-50 countries (depends how much I can be arsed), filter by age and see who's playing in the national first team aged 17-21.

I often check over whole continents for that. You often find some gems doing that.

I forget how much of a ballache work permits are on this game in England. It's far easier in another country.

• Subscriber

The AFC Fylde thing on my game just gets better and better. They've started brightly in League Two and have knocked Huddersfield and Brentford out of the League Cup, they have Leicester at home in the 3rd round.

Genuinely intrigued to see where they end up. Had a check of the League Two stats and they actually have the 5th biggest wage budget in that division. That's got to be a potential save to play one day if they're managing to pay that after being in the sixth tier two years prior.

Doing OK. I really just need to finish top 

3. Celtic and Patrick Thisle the 2 fighting it out. I'm fighting Rangers and Motherwell for that third spot. Also scouted most of Peru, Brazil, Africa and S. Korea.

Does it drive anyone else up a wall if you suggest something with a secure job status and their excuse is "you aren't doing a good enough job"

Its hilarious but it always happens.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

Does it drive anyone else up a wall if you suggest something with a secure job status and their excuse is "you aren't doing a good enough job"

Its hilarious but it always happens.

yeah I had that with 'untouchable' when with Tranmere in my recent save. 

Just now, Stan said:

yeah I had that with 'untouchable' when with Tranmere in my recent save. 

Its stupidly annoying. There are some recommendations that just can't be touched. Its always professional status that's broken for me.

This time it happened to me on "change philosophies". Wish the game didn't have to lie to you.

I've opened up an AC Milan file, big club, decent side but small transfer fee and underdogs compared to Juve, Roma, Napoli and Inter (with their new money). A side game to play at the moment alongside my Barnsley file, but haven't been able to play the game for a while.

Still got my Arsenal save so when I get a chance I might chuck those two up too.

Finished the season with Aberdeen. Finish second and the board wants me out despite having a good squad harmony and meeting expectations. Luckily I think it was a false alarm.

Get through this season and the thread will be started.

• The topic was unpinned
  • The topic was pinned

Archived