talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Everton Discussion

football forum

• Administrator
1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

Why would you say that? If your interpretation of this whole mess is that the Premier League are out to protect Everton then that's an interesting interpretation to say the least.

Not particularly, just wondered if they end up retreating because they realise they fucked up so to keep Everton in the league and shunt the likes of Luton out...

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Stan said:

Not particularly, just wondered if they end up retreating because they realise they fucked up so to keep Everton in the league and shunt the likes of Luton out...

I think the main thing is that they've realised they can't give Everton a 10 point penalty for this when it's only 9 points for going into administration, and that if Everton had done the same thing in the EFL then it would have been a 6 point penalty. Or something to that effect, I haven't read the full document.

I don't think they have any qualms about sending us down. We should be 12th or 13th if we hadn't been docked points. Everton had already got out of the relegation zone before getting any points back and I think on the balance of probabilities that we'd likely have stayed up without getting any points back (provided there isn't another heavy slam from our second offence).

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Anyone else think they'll just mess around with the points so that Everton survive?

I think they’re just going to add on 4 points deducted for the second offense (even though it covers the same period as the first offense, so it’s really just a second punishment for the same offense) - so they end up back at their original 10 so they can pat themselves on the back for getting it right in their minds the first time.

But that’s because like @RandoEFC I have pretty much no faith in the league using their brains and them somehow thinking this makes them look good.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, OrangeKhrush said:

for me it is either 10 points or 0 points,  this kangaroo court FA nonsense needs to stop. 

That approach is just as made up as theirs though. Where does the 10 even come from in the first place? Plucked out of thin air.

11 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

That approach is just as made up as theirs though. Where does the 10 even come from in the first place? Plucked out of thin air.

That's why I say either back convictions and give a penalty or you don't, by then reducing it to irrelevance it makes the process look like a giant Flim flam

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, OrangeKhrush said:

That's why I say either back convictions and give a penalty or you don't, by then reducing it to irrelevance it makes the process look like a giant Flim flam

6 points isn't irrelevant though. It just so happens because of the way this season has gone that those four points back change the table quite dramatically in our favour. We're still 15th when we would have been 13th without any points penalties. If we were only good enough to get 34 points this season then 6 points would be deemed equally severe to 10 points because either would probably have got us relegated.

They have to draw the line somewhere. They've made their case for why there needs to be a points penalty because transfer bans and fines won't hack it, but 10 points was insane given that it's a heavier penalty than going insolvent. I'd rather it was less but 6 points seems like a reasonable middle ground and if we'd been docked 4-6 points in the first place, there would have been a very different reaction. The fans probably still protest and the club probably still appeals because you've got to try and get every inch that you can but I doubt it goes quite as far as Parliament and causes as much of a stink as 10 points did, and I don't think Everton would have had as much sympathy from the majority of the media if it had been 4-6 points to start with.

Everton were guilty. They admitted it and most of our fans accepted it too. The debate was always about mitigating factors and the proportionality of the penalty. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Whatever happens with this, the Premier League have badly let us down here. This has taken 6 months ffs. Simultaneously coming after us for the way the club has been run, inflicting heavy handed points deductions that risk sending us to the Championship and potential financial oblivion, all the while leaving us in limbo on the change of ownership situation. 

If 777 are suitable owners, why has it taken 6 months for them to be approved, and if they're not suitable owners, why dick around over this for half a year? If they get turned down then that's months worth of time Moshiri could have been looking for a new buyer that could get the club back on a level footing and all the while, the financial situation has been getting worse and worse as 777 have been loaning us money which means yet more debt for any alternative new owner to take on.

Moshiri is a cancer on this club and the Premier League is not fit for purpose as an organisation on so many levels.

https://theesk.org/2024/03/24/the-reality-of-the-conditional-minded-to-approve-requirements/

It seems like the PL have said 777 have to fulfil certain criteria (which they also said 6 months ago) but have given a 1 month deadline to do it. That would cost a lot of money which 777 don’t have. They can’t convert the loan into equity as they can’t pay off the underlying loan they used to lend on to everton. There are also rules to limit the amount of debt an entity can use to buy a club to prevent another glazer situation. So this article essentially sees these are conditions it’s impossible for them to meet. 

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

https://theesk.org/2024/03/24/the-reality-of-the-conditional-minded-to-approve-requirements/

It seems like the PL have said 777 have to fulfil certain criteria (which they also said 6 months ago) but have given a 1 month deadline to do it. That would cost a lot of money which 777 don’t have. They can’t convert the loan into equity as they can’t pay off the underlying loan they used to lend on to everton. There are also rules to limit the amount of debt an entity can use to buy a club to prevent another glazer situation. So this article essentially sees these are conditions it’s impossible for them to meet. 

The esk knows his stuff but by all accounts he's close to either MSP or one of the other consortiums interested in swooping in at a lower price if 777 falls through, so I do take his commentary on the 777 takeover with a pinch of salt.