talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Last movie you watched?

football forum

Just came back from 'Blade Runner 2049' and I was completely blown away.  It is a modern masterpiece and as good as the original.  The story,  the acting,  the visuals and the music are all so mesmerising. And it hasn't lost its ambiguity,  maybe this one is a little less ambiguous but cerebral nonetheless. 

I absolutely loved the understated approach.  And there is a possibility of another sequel. 

If I had to pick a fault then I would say Jared Leto was not suited for that part.  He wasn't terrible but in his opening scene he felt unconvincing. And it was an important scene to establish the villain. Everyone else is brilliant,  though. 

Both wife and I are going to go again for a second viewing. 

And I guess it's time we put Denis Villeneuve in the same bracket as Scorsese,  Kubrick, Nolan,  etc.

On a side note,  if you have watched the new movie or are planning to see it,  then here are the three shorts you MUST see.  They chart the important events that take place between the two movies and provide a clearer understanding of the changes that take place in that world. 

• Upvote 1

Watched those film shorts the other day. Never would've thought Batista would actually end up being a solid actor but fair play to him. In terms of actual acting talent, he shows more of it than The Rock in my opinon.

John Wick: Chapter 2 (2017)

Been dying to watch this for ages now, so I finally picked it up on BluRay today for a tenner. Not as fucking epic as the first part, but still epic! Two of the best action movies around. Really happy for Keanu that these are so successful. Dude is one of the nicest, yet most unfortunate people in Hollywood, and he deserves everything good that's coming to him. 

8/10

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
44 minutes ago, Tsubasa said:

John Wick: Chapter 2 (2017)

Been dying to watch this for ages now, so I finally picked it up on BluRay today for a tenner. Not as fucking epic as the first part, but still epic! Two of the best action movies around. Really happy for Keanu that these are so successful. Dude is one of the nicest, yet most unfortunate people in Hollywood, and he deserves everything good that's coming to him. 

8/10

Couldnt agree more; hes one of the genuinely good guys in Hollywood. Movies like these rarely make good sequels but the movie was fucking awesome.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Viva la FCB said:

Couldnt agree more; hes one of the genuinely good guys in Hollywood. Movies like these rarely make good sequels but the movie was fucking awesome.

Also a great set-up for the 3rd Chapter. John Wick against the World! Can't wait xD

"The Ninth Gate" starring Johnny Depp. Was a tad silly but must say I quite enjoyed it.

Was specifically interested in the "Private Collector" aspect of the movie. Anyone know other movies like that? About/pertaining to private collectors and their idiosyncrasies? 

Didn't watch it recently, but I absolutely love "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford". Utterly brilliant movie.

Am also interested in themes pertaining to "private sex clubs/parties of the elite" as depicted in "Eyes Wide Shut" and ""The Arcanum Club" episode of Bates Motel. Anyone know other TV episodes/movies about that theme?

One of my childhood faves was "Moondial"...lol :):) 

"Drive", "Apocalypto" and "Go" are some of my other faves. Come to think of it, I have a lot of cinematic faves!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0142688/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Saw Loving Vincent at the MAMI film festival.  Bit of a mess and an eyesore.  Unless you are a fan of Vincent van Gogh,  then there's nothing much to admire in this. 

Also went to IMAX yesterday to catch Blade Runner again. Enjoyed it just as much as the first time. 

Edited by IgnisExcubitor

Fast & Furious 8 - 6/10

Shot Caller - 7/10

Kong: Skull Island - 6.5/10

Guardians Of The Galaxy: Vol. 2 - 6.5/10

Baby Driver - 7.5/10

The Beguiled - 6/10

Blade Runner - Old sci-fi films always seem to fail to deliver. Not really talking about the special effects but the story wasn't up to much either. 5.5/10

The Big Sick - 7.5/10

The Dark Tower - 5.5/10

War For The Planet Of The Apes - 7.5/10

On 17/10/2017 at 3:59 AM, Viva la FCB said:

Kingsman: The Golden Circle - 8/10

If your a fan of the first the sequel does not let you down. Great lines throughout and some awesome action scenes. Thoroughly enjoyable. 

Julianne Moore was a letdown. Elton John stole the show. 

@topic

Saw 'Victoria and Abdul'. Two hours of absolute cringe fest. Stay away from this one everybody. 

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

Julianne Moore was a letdown. Elton John stole the show. 

@topic

Saw 'Victoria and Abdul'. Two hours of absolute cringe fest. Stay away from this one everybody. 

I liked her! but i will agree on Elton John, they definitely did it over the top but it worked.

The Snowman - 2/10 

Fucking bollocks. Stiff, disjointed performances (Val Kilmer...awful) and a terrible execution if the source material. It felt so low grade, and considering the cast, it should have been much better. A wasted opportunity.

Annabelle Creation

The first movie was gash. Therefore my immediate thoughts were fuck this for a game of soldiers. But the missus overruled me. What I expected was another tedious regurgitated modern day 'horror'. What I got was a pleasant but scary surprise.

All in all, it's a really good watchable movie with genuine scares that hand on heart, did make me jump. For a 'prequel', it is so much better than the first film on all levels. Infact, I think it's rare these days you get a better prequel/sequel than the first.

Slow enough to provide adequate build up for the scares, but fast enough to keep everything moving and on edge. From the location and atmosphere, to the sound and creepy tricks to play on your emotions, it all contributes to the scare's that occur during the film. And of course, there is that fucking doll. It's soulless stare and deceiving smile continue to give me the willies.

And I really enjoyed the way the end of the movie tied perfectly into the first one, exactly where it started. Such a shame that one was so crap.

7/10

Baby Driver (2017)

Well, that movie was extremely entertaining. Basically one big soundtrack and the movie just ran along the way. Very well coordinated and stylish as fuck. It got a bit too clichée-ish, and cheesy, especially towards the end, but still a solid purely entertaining flick. Jon Hamm was great in this, and I didn't expect his character to develop this way. 

7.5/10

• Upvote 1