talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Last movie you watched?

football forum

• Subscriber

The Great Silence (Il grande silenzio) - 1968

I'm back to watching spaghetti westerns again, and chose Sergio Corbucci's magnum opus for tonight. Starring Jean-Louis Trintignant as a mute gunslinger and Klaus Kinski as a sadistic bounty hunter (both superb), it tells a dark tale of misery, greed, injustice and revenge in a small town during a freezing cold winter at the end of the 19th century. Very violent for it's time, it features a great score by Moriccone, socio-political background and probably the bleakest ending ever. 
One of the greatest westerns of all time, way too overlooked.

8.5/10

I finally got round to watching Prometheus last night. Yeah, I know, I know. I’m about 5 years too late behind all the hype it received, and the inevitable disappointment that got hurled at it. And since it’s been out for five years, I trust you won’t mind there are SPOILERS (!) in here. 

+ POINTS:

a) Fassbender’s portrayal of David. 
b) THAT scene where Shaw goes into the operation machine thingy-wotsit and has emergency surgery had me squirming on the edge of my seat.
c) Marc Streitenfeld’s soundtrack is a pretty good listen. (In fact, I’m listening to it now, as I type.)
d) Some of the philosophical questions asked still have me pondering, a good 24 hours after watching it. The comparisons between man creating robots like David, to the Engineers creating man. The scene where Holloway mentions this to antagonise David, just before he’s poisoned. Other movies are quite forgettable. I at least had to use my brain in parts, even if parts of it made little sense. Which segues me on to…

– POINTS:

a) A lot of unbelievable and unlikeable characterisation, which leads to me giving less of a fuck when characters die/are put in peril. The scene where Millburn and Fifield discover the Hammerpede in the black goo…  Why in the name of all things holy would you reach out to touch a king cobra-like pale, writhing alien life-form? Also, Shaw and Holloway did not seem like a natural couple. I know opposites attract, but this felt like cheap writing to smush two heroes with contrasting philosophies together. 
b) Maybe an unfair assumption, but going into this with the Ripley model of heroine in mind, I couldn’t help but predict only one crew member of Prometheus would survive, and it would be a woman. The obvious (and only) choice was Shaw. This also meant that I assumed the other crew members would die. Even the sacrifice Idris Elba’s character and his plastic co-pilots made didn’t really hit any of my emotions. Again, probably because they were all idiots, cliched or completely irrelevant and forgettable. 
c) On a parallel note: this was a ‘trillion dollar expedition’ – so why did Weyland hire a bunch of naive fools to discover the origin of the species? Were they all just nothing but guinea pigs for Weyland, until they found a cure? (Maybe this was the case, since David poisoned Holloway with the black goo.)
d) You could tell the script had been ‘Lindelof-ed’. Yep, the final draft of the screenplay was polished and re-written by one of the show-runners of Lost. And in true Lost style, there were a few too many questions rather than answers, or perhaps leaps of faith required by the audience. 
e) I’ve since seen a deleted scene, or rather an extended scene, where the last Engineer is woken up by David, who then translates what Weyland and Shaw are trying to ask it and the Engineer replies. The deleted scene would have added a lot more context to the plot, I feel – Weyland having a god complex and comparing himself to the Engineers, and it insulting the big white fella to the point where he goes on a killing rampage. There’s even a cool reference to Michaelangelo’s painting of God and Adam almost touching fingers. Why was this trimmed from the final cut? What else was cut? Other equally important stuff? So is the confusion due to Lindelof’s script, or Scott’s editing?
f) Finally, Charlize Theron (Vickers) trying to out-run a tumbling, rolling spaceship. In a straight line. Come on. 

Wow, I went on quite the rant there! 
Like I said, this is a five-year old film, so apologies if you’ve all discussed this in the past… it just struck me as interesting since Alien: Covenant has only been out for a couple of months (I haven’t seen it yet) and I wondered if any of y’all had any opinions on that or Prometheus? Maybe I need to watch A:C to fully understand/appreciate Prometheus? Or maybe Ridley Scott just fucked up. Who knows?!

On 6/23/2017 at 4:19 PM, Tsubasa said:

Yes mate. I remember us discussing the ending of the show as we shared different opinions in how a post Kennedy era would be. 

Shutter Island 9/10

The Oscar Leo SHOULD HAVE won. Brilliant film and almost flawless performance from Leo. Seen it maybe 20 times and when ever it's on the Tele I will always select to watch it. 

Edited by Cicero
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Cicero said:

Yes mate. I remember us discussing the ending of the show as we shared different opinions in how a post Kennedy era would be. 

Shutter Island 9/10

The Oscar Leo SHOULD HAVE won. Brilliant film and almost flawless performance from Leo. Seen it maybe 20 times and when ever it's on the Tele I will always select to watch it. 

Oooooh right, that was some time ago. I forgot :D 

And I agree about Leo's performance in Shutter Island. He was simply amazing in that. My favourite scene is when he meets George Noyce and his "wife" in the cells, and the flashbacks. Oh and then the "reveal" in the lighthouse. Man, that really was Leo at his best. 

38 minutes ago, Tsubasa said:

Oooooh right, that was some time ago. I forgot :D 

And I agree about Leo's performance in Shutter Island. He was simply amazing in that. My favourite scene is when he meets George Noyce and his "wife" in the cells, and the flashbacks. Oh and then the "reveal" in the lighthouse. Man, that really was Leo at his best. 

What's better? To live as a monster, or to die as a good man?

The ending before his lobotomy. That part was the clincher for me. Incredible and simply unappreciated to the academy's standards. 

The House
5.5/10

A new Will Ferrell movie. I just finished the school term so thought I would go see a silly light hearted movie. Very average with a couple of decent moments. But I knew that would happen.

Suicide Squad
7/10

Finally watched it. Decent, Margot Robbie can just do anything to me. The Aussie bloke was a useless character but a decent stereotype.

Edited by Anton

Watched Baby Driver. Definitely over hyped. It is a fun movie, but apart from the concept of choreographing pretty much everything to music (which at times seems awesome and at times forced) the rest of the story, characters and action is strictly alright. A lot of things in the climax make no sense. But still, this is a really good movie. I had fun watching this.

On a side note, Lily James' character reminded me of Madchen Amik's character from Twin Peaks.

9 hours ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

Watched Baby Driver. Definitely over hyped. It is a fun movie, but apart from the concept of choreographing pretty much everything to music (which at times seems awesome and at times forced) the rest of the story, characters and action is strictly alright. A lot of things in the climax make no sense. But still, this is a really good movie. I had fun watching this.

On a side note, Lily James' character reminded me of Madchen Amik's character from Twin Peaks.

I want to see this. Without giving too much away though, would you say this is better or worse than Drive? (which I loved)

Edited by Lucas

17 hours ago, Lucas said:

I want to see this. Without giving too much away though, would you say this is better or worse than Drive? (which I loved)

I loved Drive too. For me it was a unique movie. I had never seen anything like it (I went on to watch Thief, the movie from which it was inspired, much later). And Drive was unique. The style, the acting, the music and the story.

Like I said above, apart from the concept of choreographing the movie to songs, nothing is original in Baby Driver. But, and it's a big but, this is an entertaining movie, if you ignore its few flaws. There are many scenes which will bring a wide smile on your face (it happened to me). I had a really good time, and I suggest you to watch it on the big screen, where I am sure you will have a good time too.

• Upvote 1

'The Mummy'

The latest version..Thought this might have been better but to be honest it was really disappointing all round for me.

Considering they were aiming for a darker  version it failed on all levels.. Much preferred  the previous versions to this 

3/10

On 23/05/2017 at 11:24 PM, ASF said:

It had the potential to be decent, but the way Apocalypse is defeated was a joke.

The Green Mile and 13 hours are top movies.

Watched 'The Rocky Horror Picture Show'. What the actual fuck was that? xD

4/10

I like Rocky Horror a lot. Collectively I think it's great give or take the camp. I'd give it an 8/10. The re-make was horrible.

On 23/05/2017 at 11:24 PM, ASF said:

It had the potential to be decent, but the way Apocalypse is defeated was a joke.

4/10

I like Rocky Horror a lot. Collectively I think it's great give or take the camp. I'd give it an 8/10. The re-make was horrible.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
On 5/24/2017 at 5:24 AM, ASF said:

4/10

2 hours ago, Cure said:

Rocky Horror Picture Show is a cult classic, and it's fucking awesome! It's the only theatrical release in movie history that still continues to be played in cinemas today. I know there's a remake, but there's no way I'm watching it.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
57 minutes ago, Tsubasa said:

T2 Trainspotting (2017)

I'm glad they didn't fuck this up. Nice tribute to the masterpiece that is Trainspotting, and a decent movie on it's own. But the tribute parts with the old soundtracks were the best. 

8/10

The new "Choose life' monologue was probably even better than the original one!

• Upvote 1