talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Tennis

football forum

• Administrator
52 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Hopefully Alcaraz gets good competition from the likes of Ruud, Rune, Sinner in the long term because as soon as he's bagged another handful of grand slams over the next 3 years he'll be the one who we all say is boring for dominating xD.

Nothing against Djokovic (or Nadal or Federer) but it's long overdue for one of the "next gen" players to prise the torch out of the hands of the old big three.

Agreed. I can see Sinner or Rune being his biggest competition. I hope there is variety but there's something likeable about Alcaraz. Like there has been with Nadal and Federer so their dominance didn't become boring or unwanted. They were respected. There's just something dislikeable about Djokovic. Maybe it's his on-court persona and the reactions he showed like today - the racket smash, the moaning, the petulance. 

It felt right that today was the day for the torch to be passed over. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

Hopefully Alcaraz gets good competition from the likes of Ruud, Rune, Sinner in the long term because as soon as he's bagged another handful of grand slams over the next 3 years he'll be the one who we all say is boring for dominating xD.

Nothing against Djokovic (or Nadal or Federer) but it's long overdue for one of the "next gen" players to prise the torch out of the hands of the old big three.

I don't see much competition after Djokovic? He might have an easy run at racking up load of slams.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just watched Gauff defeat Sabalenka in the US Open final in 3 sets. Gauff has been excellent during this tournament and deserved the win. But you have to feel for Sabalenka, with the 24,000 crowd all cheering Gauff on with every point she won. They were literally cheering and screaming with joy with every point that Gauff won, while sounding disappointed when Sabalenka won her points. That must be extremely off putting, when two top tennis players are so closely matched. The crowd are in very close proximity to the players, so their cheering must be deafening. I think the US players definitely have an advantage in that sense. It was the same in Sabalenka's last game against  Keys, another US tennis player, except Sabalenka managed to beat her. Congratulations to Gauff though, she looks like a great tennis player, she pulls off some great shots and has the power in her serves as well.

Tennis is a bit in the mud isn't it? The GOAT debate is settled I suppose. No competition other than Alcaraz but nevermind that.

The GOAT of doing the split, the GOAT of the victim complex, and the GOAT of the inability to get neutral crowds on his side. Ah, and the GOAT of every statistic in tennis you can think of, but that one doesn't build a legacy.

1378576715003-USP-Tennis-US-Open-Djokovi

No thanks.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/09/2023 at 06:55, Machado said:

Tennis is a bit in the mud isn't it? The GOAT debate is settled I suppose. No competition other than Alcaraz but nevermind that.

The GOAT of doing the split, the GOAT of the victim complex, and the GOAT of the inability to get neutral crowds on his side. Ah, and the GOAT of every statistic in tennis you can think of, but that one doesn't build a legacy.

1378576715003-USP-Tennis-US-Open-Djokovi

No thanks.

Surpass Mrs Court and call it a day. Nothing else to prove.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...