• McDonalds
    • Subway
    • Wimpy
    • Other (Please Specify)

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Anton said:

Pretty sure Hungry Jacks, the name, started in Western Australia. @Tanksie did it used to be Burger King at all in the east?

I was told a story of a guy that had a burger van which he called Burger King and when "Burger King" went to open up their first restaurants in Australia, he sued them and Burger King then offered him a substantial amount of money to buy the name off him which he refused on various occasions as the offers became more and more ridiculously big.  He then apparently told Burger King a sum of money he would be willing to sell the name for (something totally astounding) and they did offer him that to which he again refused. xD

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Cannabis said:

Agreed on that, I can't understand the people that got to McDonalds for their tea for example, why wouldn't you just go to a restaurant and get a proper meal?

Fast food is a convenience for me, I'll eat it on my lunch if I'm in town although I've drastically cut out the amount of fast food that I consume. In my college days I was eating a foot long Subway five days a week.

i've never gone to Maccy D's for dinner (use the correct terminology, please). It's not filling enough. 

McDonald's and KFC in both Italy and Spain are used only by tourists and every now and then a Spanish or Italian mother once or twice a year treating their children to something totally out of the ordinary.  The reasons behind this the locals will tell you it's shit food and that their own cultural food is much nicer and obviously 100 times healthier.

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

I was told a story of a guy that had a burger van which he called Burger King and when "Burger King" went to open up their first restaurants in Australia, he sued them and Burger King then offered him a substantial amount of money to buy the name off him which he refused on various occasions as the offers became more and more ridiculously big.  He then apparently told Burger King a sum of money he would be willing to sell the name for (something totally astounding) and they did offer him that to which he again refused. xD

Haha Could well be true. All I know is there was the name Burger King by a bloke in Adelaide. So it started up in Western Australia as Hungry Jacks. The bloke must've sold the name to them eventually though?

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Danny said:

If 12 people in a topic vote and only 1 votes for McDonalds then a good 8 are lying.

Surprised Greggs isn't on there.

Cheeky shout for PieFace too.

was maths not your strong point?

It's McDonald's for me, don't go that often but if I was in a city and had the choice out of any of those then I'd definitely chose Maccies.

That being said, I wouldn't care if I never had another one in my life.

USA is the king of fast food, literally. We are so spoilt for choice over here that there are regional fast food joints. I'd pick a Five Guys burger over most places.

4 hours ago, Anton said:

Haha Could well be true. All I know is there was the name Burger King by a bloke in Adelaide. So it started up in Western Australia as Hungry Jacks. The bloke must've sold the name to them eventually though?

It is Hungry Jacks Australia wide. No, he didn't.

6 hours ago, Tanksie said:

LONG ago, yes. Maybe 12 -15 years ago

? I've never heard of anyone calling it or saying it was called Burger King. Always Hungry Jacks.

9 hours ago, Storts said:

Best fast food burger place in the world, hands down no question. One of the best things about Southern California

It's actually not just in Southern California. It's all over California, and I think they've got a location or two in Las Vegas.

To be honest, I've actually had one better burger while on a business trip to Austin, Texas (which is a surprisingly fun town, despite being in... Texas). It's a local chain there called P. Terry's and it's outrageously good for a quick and cheap burger. I was surprised it was better than In-N-Out. I don't know if it's anywhere other than Austin.

For some San Diego specific things (aka delicious good Mexican food): Tacos El Gordo (well they have locations in Tijuana, Mexico too) is fucking fantastic. It's in two shite neighborhoods here though. I've never been to the Tijuana one though. There's also Nico's Taco Shop which is fucking fantastic as well.

But I figured citing super regionalised things in America wouldn't be too useful here.

4 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It's actually not just in Southern California. It's all over California, and I think they've got a location or two in Las Vegas.

To be honest, I've actually had one better burger while on a business trip to Austin, Texas (which is a surprisingly fun town, despite being in... Texas). It's a local chain there called P. Terry's and it's outrageously good for a quick and cheap burger. I was surprised it was better than In-N-Out. I don't know if it's anywhere other than Austin.

For some San Diego specific things (aka delicious good Mexican food): Tacos El Gordo (well they have locations in Tijuana, Mexico too) is fucking fantastic. It's in two shite neighborhoods here though. I've never been to the Tijuana one though. There's also Nico's Taco Shop which is fucking fantastic as well.

But I figured citing super regionalised things in America wouldn't be too useful here.

I've seen them in Arizona and Utah, too. Always a very welcome sight.

The best fast food burger I've had, however, was from a place called Goodburger in Valencia. Had a sauce on it which I think was something like a chipotle sauce. Something I've never tried before and it really brought the room together.

Shout out to Papa John's, too. Everyone knows Pizza Hut make the best pizza, but PJs have some really good limited edition ones sometimes, like sweet & sour chicken which is the current one.

Being a pizza guy, I do make regular trips to Dominos. Mac is shit here, trying to include Indian recipes, though some of the burgers aren't that bad. 

I don't understand the popularity of KFC here, even though the Indian alternatives are so much cheaper and tastier. 

• 2 months later...
  • Subscriber

Love Subway but Burger King has an important novelty appeal for me as there isn't one on the Isle of Man for my childhood then I went to university in Lancaster which also doesn't have one.

I prefer smaller kebab and chicken shops for end of night out takeaway though, don't tend to get too many takeaways the rest of the time.

Archived