talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

How Will Scottish Clubs Do In Europe Next Season?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Celtic will start in the Second Qualifying Round and will be seeded through the qualifiers, so the group stage should be the minimum goal. Depending on other qualifiers they could be in Pot 3 of the Group Stage. I think they could easily finish third in a group, if they don't get a ridiculous group like they did this season, and go on a decent Europa League run. I expect that they'll invest again this summer and will be stronger next season.

I always hope for a trip within Britain, but the 'Regionalisation' of the draw never works out. 

Aberdeen will enter the Europa League in the Second Qualifying Round and will be seeded. They've made the Third Qualifying Round in the last three years and I can see why they can't again. With clubs like Milan and Everton entering at that stage, anything else will be a bonus. I'd love a draw against Milan, and once again face a giant of football at Pittodrie.

Celtic will easily make the group stages of the Champions League and then they'll just have to hope for a draw that gives them a chance of getting either second or third.

It'll be tough for Aberdeen, again depends on the luck of the draw but they are certainly capable of turning some teams over.

I think it's going to be, largely, similar to most years. 

Celtic will scrape the Champions League but won't progress to the knockouts and could get 3rd depending on the group they get, Aberdeen will do well but once up against a fairly big name, they'll go out and I expect St Johnstone and Rangers to go out before August to be honest. 

I'd expect all the Scottish teams to make it to the Third Round. St Johnstone are seeded in the first two rounds and have experience in recent years, albeit with mixed results. They've put out Norwegian and Swiss teams in recent years and Tommy Wright has shown again his improvements as a manger this season. I'd hope they would have a good run at it.

Rangers will be seeded in the first round, but unseeded in the second. It will hugely depend on their recruitment over the summer and how they can actually reshape their squad. There will be tough opponents that they can draw in the second round, teams that have done well in Europe in recent years.

• 4 weeks later...

Unknown quantity for St Johnstone and I don't know where they're at as a club, so I wouldn't want to say if they'll progress.

Rangers should walk all over a club from Luxembourg and most likely, Limassol, too. 

Didn't Aberdeen have a Kazakh side a few years ago and the weather was boiling? Tricky away leg but they should win that, regardless if it's them or the Bosnian side. 

Celtic should beat Linfield comfortably. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
9 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Rangers must be well chuffed with that result

Niederkorn lost their previous 6 outings in Europe 10-0, 12-0, 6-0, 5-1, 4-0, 3-0 

And then they met Rangers.... 

that 12-0 knocked them in to shape. Got considerably better after that and now we're here...

1 hour ago, Dan said:

Makes you wonder if they were trying to get knocked out of it.

Are you suggesting some sort of match fixing / rigging going on??? 

I mean its not for me to say but I wonder what the the odds on Rangers being knocked out against Niederkorn were given that they were 1-0 down already? 

Maybe the appropriate governing bodies need to look into any betting irregularities for example or dig a little deeper into the backgrounds of the officials for the match and see if they can dig up any dirt on them. 

Something sure smells fishy about all this. Rangers a former Scottish Power House in the league reduced to this??? 

I mean come on... Niederkorn even lost 3-0 to Shamrock Rovers 

Someone has gone home tonight with bulging pockets of cash I am fairly certain of that.... 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Are you suggesting some sort of match fixing / rigging going on??? 

I mean its not for me to say but I wonder what the the odds on Rangers being knocked out against Niederkorn were given that they were 1-0 down already? 

Maybe the appropriate governing bodies need to look into any betting irregularities for example or dig a little deeper into the backgrounds of the officials for the match and see if they can dig up any dirt on them. 

Something sure smells fishy about all this. Rangers a former Scottish Power House in the league reduced to this??? 

I mean come on... Niederkorn even lost 3-0 to Shamrock Rovers 

Someone has gone home tonight with bulging pockets of cash I am fairly certain of that.... 

I'm talking more in terms of it being a distraction to Rangers' season. They've just been mullered by Celtic and finished behind Aberdeen. If they got to the group stages of the Europa League, that's an extra 14 games on top of their domestic season already, 7 of those abroad, and that's assuming they don't get through it.

Part of me wonders if they want to just focus on the league. To lose to a team that came 4th in Luxembourg over two legs is so bad it's genuinely making me wonder if there is more to it.

Maybe I'm doing a massive disservice to Niedercorn but it's an extraordinary result.

1 hour ago, Dan said:

I'm talking more in terms of it being a distraction to Rangers' season. They've just been mullered by Celtic and finished behind Aberdeen. If they got to the group stages of the Europa League, that's an extra 14 games on top of their domestic season already, 7 of those abroad, and that's assuming they don't get through it.

Part of me wonders if they want to just focus on the league. To lose to a team that came 4th in Luxembourg over two legs is so bad it's genuinely making me wonder if there is more to it.

Maybe I'm doing a massive disservice to Niedercorn but it's an extraordinary result.

I gathered that was what you were inferring in the first place but in order to sensationalize the whole thing we need to leave no stone unturned

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

That 12-0 came against Real Madrid to be fair if you're looking at the same list of their results that I was earlier. 

Yea it was back in 1978/79 

Its more about their overall European record. I mean they have conceded 41 goals and scored 3, two of which they scored tonight so their record overall has been fairly dire in terms of competing so makes tonights result a complete one off rare event

Archived