talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FIFA Rankings

football forum

Just now, Eco said:

The fact that you have undated this thread led me to believe that you find substance in this.

Fake News

Haha, it was missing a thread and Peru is in the top 20 so why not :D

Sure its pointless, I don't disagree with that but again a nation that has struggled for 40 years, to be in the top 20 (and deservedly) is quite nice.

Believe what you want to though :) 

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

Haha, it was missing a thread and Peru is in the top 20 so why not :D

Sure its pointless, I don't disagree with that but again a nation that has struggled for 40 years, to be in the top 20 (and deservedly) is quite nice.

Believe what you want to though :) 

But if you have Peru and USA play a home and home, I think we win both legs without too much sweat, yet we are ranked so low? Again, pointless.

Just now, Eco said:

But if you have Peru and USA play a home and home, I think we win both legs without too much sweat, yet we are ranked so low? Again, pointless.

Hilarious suggestion. I can't tell if you're on the wind up or you actually believe that.

I'm fairly confident we'd beat USA at home. I don't know about away though.

3 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Being happy about your place in the FIFA World Rankings is so small time, any decent sized nation knows that they are a joke and if I hadn't read through this thread before-hand wouldn't have known (or cared) where England was. The fact that Wales got up to 2nd puts these rankings in the joke of a nut-shell that they are and without sounding disrespectful to Brian Peru would be absolutely twatted by most teams around them in the rankings, including England.

I agree that its small time actually mate.

I am happy we are 14th, but what does that say about us? It says we aren't a football powerhouse, or near it. We've struggled for 40 years and seeing us do well in the rankings is nice. Why is it nice though? Its nice because we are playing well, and I disagree about being twatted by the nations around them because in the last year we've beaten Brazil, drew Argentina (in a game where we smashed them) and Uruguay. To say we'd be twatted by anyone is quite silly in my opinion. I know that wasn't a dig though :) 

Edit: We have only lost 3 games in the last 16.

3 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Yeah it's no disrespect to you or your country as your progression through the rankings at least shows that you are on the right track. You might be right in the sense that you wouldn't get ''twatted'' by the teams around you but that could be down to the fact that you haven't yet made it on the international scene (i.e. - you haven't really been seen by the mainstream media). Once you get into the World Cup and start giving a good account of yourselves people might step up and take notice. 

Exactly mate, I couldn't agree more. Me and many other South Americans know we are playing well and are probably the 5th best team in the continent as it stands, but as you said the lack of World Cups make people outside the continent think we're a poor side. We don't really have that footballing "name". We've finished 3rd in the 2011 and 2015 Copa America and haven't gone out of the groups since 1995, but unfortunately that's not enough. I love the Copa America but its not as big as the Euro's.

No disrespect to you @Eco, I think you're a good member and you know your stuff but in my opinion its ignorant to say that you'd beat us home and away without breaking a sweat when you can't even beat teams in Central America in their own homes.

• Subscriber

Switzerland deliberately didn't play any friendlies once so that they got themselves into pot one for the world cup. The system needs a total overhaul.

I'd have England about 18th.

14 hours ago, Dan said:

Switzerland deliberately didn't play any friendlies once so that they got themselves into pot one for the world cup. The system needs a total overhaul.

I'd have England about 18th.

That first part sums the whole thing up brilliantly.

Id argue England should be lower than 18th at the moment. Sadly even if we were 58th the Premier League wouldn't feel obliged to support the development of young players in to senior teams

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Aaroncpfc said:

That first part sums the whole thing up brilliantly.

Id argue England should be lower than 18th at the moment. Sadly even if we were 58th the Premier League wouldn't feel obliged to support the development of young players in to senior teams

The Premier League does not supplement the national team in any way. The same can't be said about the Bundesliga.

Domestic leagues don't really say how good a certain NT is. Peru has the worst domestic league in South America. We aren't the worst South American side though.

Same can be said about Ligue 1. Not better than the PL but France is still better than England.

23 hours ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

Domestic leagues don't really say how good a certain NT is. Peru has the worst domestic league in South America. We aren't the worst South American side though.

Same can be said about Ligue 1. Not better than the PL but France is still better than England.

What?

We never suggested there is a correlation. If there was then we would be a lot better than getting knocked out to Iceland. We suggested that there is a lot more the FA can do to help players at teams like Chelsea who will not get opportunities get them because we have a great generation of players coming through.

I thought Bosnia was a pacific island before I began following football. I blame their flag for that.

Thankfully I'm not as ignorant on geography in 2017

9 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

I thought Bosnia was a pacific island before I began following football. I blame their flag for that.

Thankfully I'm not as ignorant on geography in 2017

You just found out that in 2017? 

• 1 month later...

Just a quick observation, if Peru qualifies for Russia then we will be the top seed in the World Cup group stages because we'd move up to top 10 in the rankings.

Just now, Cannabis said:

Not trolling as qualifying would be a great achievement but that doesn't half make a mockery of the whole process.

I agree, but put it this way

We are 15th right now, and we have to beat 2 of Ecuador/Argentina/Colombia to qualify, which will move us up to top 10 no matter what.

So basically if we qualify for the World Cup we WILL be in the top 10 of the rankings, which would be nice for us although I'm confident of going through our WC group regardless of who we get.

4 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

even though i love my country, no way in hell we were the fourth best team in 2006. this rankings are a fucking joke along with those who pay attention to them. :rofl::rofl:

If we move up to top 10, I wouldn't think we are that good but I think statistics and anyone who has watched Peru would agree we are a top 20 team in the world right now. Maybe even 15.

It doesn't matter where we sit but if we move up to top 10 and qualify we will still be top seed. 

3 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

already talking about getting through the group stage. :rofl: they wont even make it to the wc :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Dude... you said we'd lose to Bolivia the other day 2-0 and that we had 0 chance to qualify... we won 2-1 and are 2 spots behind a playoff spot. Why haven't you replied to that yet?

I've said it many times before, I don't think we will qualify and have low expectations, but I can dream.

Just now, Teso dos Bichos said:

peru has done well at home, but to say they will get through their group is laughable. you're talking about the team that lost 2-0 vs Bolivia ffs

How is it laughable? xD

Peru hasn't gone out of harder Copa America groups since 1995. If we get a group of Germany, Belgium and USA I wouldn't be confident of getting out of it but I know we'd be with a chance. Everyone said we'd go out of our group in 2015 and 2016, and we made it out of both including having knocked out Brazil in one year. 

That's obviously an unrealistic situation as we'd be head of the group. I just looked at who would be below us. All beatable. 

Your logic about us losing to Bolivia also doesn't work, and it never has. Not only did we lose that game 3700 metres above sea level, but Argentina also lost there and I'm pretty confident Brazil will lose in La Paz when they play them. We also just beat them 2-1 the other day with players out of position and about 5 injuries/suspensions. 

We were awful at the start of the qualifiers. Once we got rid of Pizarro, Vargas and Farfan, the whole team got better and slowly became into the top team we are right now. Its not about us doing well at home, we have also been getting results away from home since then. That's the key in South America, to win as many home games as possible and get a few wins or draws away from home. 

If we fail to qualify to Russia it will be down on ourselves for our start, but the way we have been playing since 2016 we are without a doubt one of the best 20 teams in the world.

Just now, Stan said:

you contradict yourself there.

I really haven't.

I don't think Switzerland or Poland should be in the top 5, I don't think Spain should be under the top 10, but I think Brazil should be in first, Peru should be in 15th, and I think Chile should be 7th. There are sections of the rankings I will agree and disagree, but for the most part its a mess.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

I really haven't.

I don't think Switzerland or Poland should be in the top 5, I don't think Spain should be under the top 10, but I think Brazil should be in first, Peru should be in 15th, and I think Chile should be 7th. There are sections of the rankings I will agree and disagree, but for the most part its a mess.

you said they're a joke so why is 15th right?

Just now, Stan said:

you said they're a joke so why is 15th right?

The best teams in the world are all a matter of opinion, so many people are going to obviously disagree with the rankings. A system is used to determine who goes where, although this doesn't take away that the system is very flawed. 

However, my point to that is that its based on statistics and who beat who. For example, I think Peru is a top 15 team in the world. We are the 4th best South American team right now for me (behind Brazil, Argentina and Chile) and that's my judgement. That's a matter of opinion though. So why did we move up to 15th? The statistics support us.

We've lost 3 games in the last 17 (Bolivia, Chile, Brazil) and have 17 points (14 if you take away the points returned from the Bolivia loss) since the Copa America Centenario. We've also drawn Argentina, beaten Brazil and beaten Uruguay. 3 nations who are often in the top 15, and that gave us a huge boost. Unbeaten in the Copa America Centenario, having been eliminated on penalties.

The fact that we are 15th is extremely fair from both a statistic point of view and opinion. In 2013 we were 19th in the rankings, but we got lucky in a lot of the wins that helped us move so high up, so there I wouldn't have said we deserved it. Now we do, because every game we win it was deserved. 

The same said for Brazil. Since Tite has taken over, at least in competitive matches they have won every game. Not even drawn, they've won every game. 9 in a row. Its no surprise to see them move up to first, and while I still think Germany are better, its still a fair place to put Brazil as you could easily debate them as the best in the world.

As for Switzerland, them beating Portugal helped them, but even then I don't know what much more they have done than us, and since they have won every game but the second strongest opponent was Hungary, who are below the top 50. Same with Poland, so that really shows the system is flawed. I'd say the clash of continents is what ruins it.

Archived