talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Russia 2018 Workers in 'Slave Like Conditions'

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Isn't this a common theme for every WC ? Seems like no one is noticing because I guess its hard when you're busy counting all the money you're going to make at the cost of treating people this way.

It's not like the World Cup created this. These are known conditions prior to accepting the bid. The majority of those who vote on world cup bids come from countries where the same sort of practices are the norm. Whilst those who should know better are either ignorant or deliberately turning a blind eye.

3 hours ago, Mel81x said:

Isn't this a common theme for every WC ? Seems like no one is noticing because I guess its hard when you're busy counting all the money you're going to make at the cost of treating people this way.

It doesn't have to be, and should've been a part of criteria for any bids for now or in the future. How any of the Football Associations around the world haven't stepped up and demanded changes from Russia or Qatar's 'way of working'.

And now that Qatar has been cut off by their neighbours, that World Cup is looking less and less likely now.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

It doesn't have to be, and should've been a part of criteria for any bids for now or in the future. How any of the Football Associations around the world haven't stepped up and demanded changes from Russia or Qatar's 'way of working'.

And now that Qatar has been cut off by their neighbours, that World Cup is looking less and less likely now.

I think the country vetting process and choice really begins and ends with money and has very little to do anymore with the actual event when the bidding starts and ends. These kinds of stories were also heard when South Africa hosted the WC and then soon after Brazil. In some cases the workers are still fighting for money while these stadiums are no longer used. I don't get why you'd take a sport there and then completely neglect it once you've realized there is really no more scope for the sport in that country. If that's the case then countries who have no longevity of support for the sport shouldn't be allowed to host a WC just because it will take fans and the sport to another place. FIFA really is stupid with these things and after all the rubbish they've just gone through you'd imagine they would straighten up and get this working right but once again they've let this happen.

Qatar has a work policy in place for how construction companies should handle its workers but you're right. Their other problem is going to become a massive issue should it go much further than it has and that will spell the end of any kind of planning for the WC there. Shame really because they've already started infrastructure planning and called in scores of contractors to start planning for it.

It's basically been decided that it'll be in North America.

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Wil be really interested to see where they opt to have 2026. Its got to be a place that restores some credibility to the Fifa brand.... 

Calling North Korean workers "slave like" is a bit of a disservice. They are slaves rented out by North Korea for Russia.

Fuck Russia hosting the World Cup by the way. I will do my best to not give a fuck about the 2018 World Cup.

Archived