talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Southampton Discussion

football forum

7 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Pochettino was because ultimately he was the one that transformed Southampton from what he inherited from Nigel Adkins. It was his philosophy installed that had them pressing teams so high and increasing their fitness and tempo that made them so difficult to play against. Koeman was fortunate to inherit a squad going the right way. 

Which was a good basis but then Koeman took them to a height Poch couldn't. Their fitness was a lot better under Koeman due to him bringing in Kluitenburg as a fitness coach. Plus signings like Van Dijk, Bertrand, Tadic, Mane, Romeu etc make him a much, much better manager at Southampton than Poch. 

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, HK85 said:

Which was a good basis but then Koeman took them to a height Poch couldn't. Their fitness was a lot better under Koeman due to him bringing in Kluitenburg as a fitness coach. Plus signings like Van Dijk, Bertrand, Tadic, Mane, Romeu etc make him a much, much better manager at Southampton than Poch. 

I respect your opinion pal but I completely disagree I'm afraid.

One reason being that I don't think Koeman could have ever inherited the situation Poch did when he first joined and turned the club around on the pitch that significantly with the resources available to him at the time. He turned around the philosophy of the team using what was already there, and getting more out of them as well as integrating youth into the team such as Luke Shaw, Chambers and Jame Ward-Prowse. He installed great belief in the club and helped them play such an exciting brand. You might not remember this but Gary Neville was waxing lyrical about the way the Southampton team set up and played at Old Trafford in Poch's first full season when they went their early doors as one of the best team's to come to Old Trafford and do what they did to United in a long time.

Secondly, Koeman profited from the millions of pounds the club made from selling Luke Shaw, Lallana, Lovren, Lambert and Callum Chambers which enabled the club to spend and bring in the players they did. And I don't think Koeman can take call the credit for those signings either. Les Read puts so much ground work into Southampton's transfer policy down here that they are always targeting potential replacements, they just provide a shortlist of targets to Koeman who selects the one's he'd like.

I don't want to take anything away from Koeman because he did a fantastic job down here. But you speak to any Southampton fan, and I know plenty living here, they will talk up Pochettino every time because he turned them from a struggling newly promoted side to a team capable of finishing Top 8 in one season. I watched them quite a bit and I'd have to say the best football they have played came under Poch when they ripped Man City, Chelsea and Liverpool apart under Pochettino's reign.

You can rightly disagree with that but that will be my opinion from someone living in the city that has watched them god knows how many times.

18 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I respect your opinion pal but I completely disagree I'm afraid.

One reason being that I don't think Koeman could have ever inherited the situation Poch did when he first joined and turned the club around on the pitch that significantly with the resources available to him at the time. He turned around the philosophy of the team using what was already there, and getting more out of them as well as integrating youth into the team such as Luke Shaw, Chambers and Jame Ward-Prowse. He installed great belief in the club and helped them play such an exciting brand. You might not remember this but Gary Neville was waxing lyrical about the way the Southampton team set up and played at Old Trafford in Poch's first full season when they went their early doors as one of the best team's to come to Old Trafford and do what they did to United in a long time.

Secondly, Koeman profited from the millions of pounds the club made from selling Luke Shaw, Lallana, Lovren, Lambert and Callum Chambers which enabled the club to spend and bring in the players they did. And I don't think Koeman can take call the credit for those signings either. Les Read puts so much ground work into Southampton's transfer policy down here that they are always targeting potential replacements, they just provide a shortlist of targets to Koeman who selects the one's he'd like.

I don't want to take anything away from Koeman because he did a fantastic job down here. But you speak to any Southampton fan, and I know plenty living here, they will talk up Pochettino every time because he turned them from a struggling newly promoted side to a team capable of finishing Top 8 in one season. I watched them quite a bit and I'd have to say the best football they have played came under Poch when they ripped Man City, Chelsea and Liverpool apart under Pochettino's reign.

You can rightly disagree with that but that will be my opinion from someone living in the city that has watched them god knows how many times.

Seen plenty of Southampton myself, lived there and worked for them for a bit whilst at Uni, albeit under Adkins but still speak to a lot of people whenever I can there. 

Their best time supporting the team was watching Koeman's team. I don't remember Gary Neville talking about them at Old Trafford but let's not forget that Koeman went there and won twice on the bounce as Southampton manager on the way to a 7th and 6th place finish. The latter one being their best finish since 1984/85. I'm sure they went to Chelsea and battered them as well. Arsenal 4-0 with Martina scoring a screamer. An 8-0 and a 6 against someone as well. 

With regards to reaping the rewards of transfer sales, down to him and his staff getting the maximum out of those players making them attractive buys for the bigger teams. 

Both very good managers for them but Koeman done more. 

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, HK85 said:

Seen plenty of Southampton myself, lived there and worked for them for a bit whilst at Uni, albeit under Adkins but still speak to a lot of people whenever I can there. 

Their best time supporting the team was watching Koeman's team. I don't remember Gary Neville talking about them at Old Trafford but let's not forget that Koeman went there and won twice on the bounce as Southampton manager on the way to a 7th and 6th place finish. The latter one being their best finish since 1984/85. I'm sure they went to Chelsea and battered them as well. Arsenal 4-0 with Martina scoring a screamer. An 8-0 and a 6 against someone as well. 

With regards to reaping the rewards of transfer sales, down to him and his staff getting the maximum out of those players making them attractive buys for the bigger teams. 

I think I've just clocked who you are xD

On 12/11/2017 at 6:23 PM, HK85 said:

Koeman took Southampton to another level

• Subscriber
28 minutes ago, Stan said:

who?

I know of another Everton fan who was on an old forum I was on who went to Southampton Uni and put two and two together. Initials weren't HK however.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Ward Prowse is one of those underrated players that fans of opposition teams never think of as an option to strengthen their team but he's actually such a good little player.

And amazingly versatile. Centre mid, Right Mid, Right Back, he's played in quite a few positions for Saints, a little but like a James Milner 2.0. And you know with him, you are getting effort too. 

In addition, I'd probably say he is up there in the Top 5 in the league in terms of set piece delivery and free kicks. I'd have him at Leeds definitely.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Stan said:

Danny Ings out for up to 6 weeks. Could be a big miss for Southampton. 

Given his injury history, that is a result. I think Saints fans would have definitely feared the worst at the time.

Also, Che Adams has been showing encouraging signs that he is becoming more settled in the Premier League now. It's a shame for him to lose Ings as their partnership was really blossoming but I think he is capable of shouldering the burden for the short term. 

Saints are one of those sides that do spread the goals around too and with Armstrong, Redmond, Walcott, Ward Prowse, Djenepro etc, they are all still capable of chipping in.

Archived