talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

World Cup Qualification (Europe) - Group F

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup, I don't see how anyone can justify supporting him after that excuse.

All it does is reflecting even more damningly on him. He complains about us having a physically weak team - but that's been the case for years, and he's never tried to manage the team appropriately.

Why don't we have a real structure in possession to try and maximise our creative players? We don't even pass it out from the back ffs. You can't pump the ball up the pitch (to Leigh Griffiths) constantly, and then complain that your team couldn't compete physically. 

Its basic football - if you can't handle the opposition physically then you try to hold onto the ball and defend as high up the pitch as possible. That way, you don't get sucked into defending set-pieces and crosses constantly. 

But Strachan doesn't have the flexibility to adapt how we play to our players. He's an intl manager - you can't go out and sign players. You've got to maximise the qualities and hide the weaknesses of your squad. 

• Administrator
19 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Didn't see any of the game but heard that England won 1-0 thanks to a Kane penalty which is embarrassing to say the least.  

Scotland once again failing to qualify for a major tournament despite having it their own hands, another summer of obsessing over England for them it seems...

was it in their own hands before last night's games? 

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

They were second going into the game against Slovenia.

fair enough. they fucked it up good and proper then.

Strachan blaming it on genetics makes it even more hilarious xD 

• Subscriber
11 hours ago, Chaaay AFC said:

I will still always maintain Jordan Henderson is a nowhere near top standard and should never have been such a consistent starter for England.

I think him playing for Liverpool has completely masked his poor ability, but also apart from a couple of seasons where Liverpool have done well that's mostly been just about his level (Top 7/8). If Liverpool continue to get better he will get phased out of their midfield.

My mate, a Liverpool fan, reckons he wouldn't even start Henderson for Liverpool.

I tend to agree, I think he's steady but if he really is our best midfielder then my god our future is bleak.

23 hours ago, Inverted said:

I assume you're thinking of McArthur, and actually I rated him for a while. Especially there was a period when I remember him being good for palace and I always thought "it's good we actually have a midfielder regularly performing in the Premier League".

If you watch the players I named for Scotland, it just doesn't look like they can inject urgency in a match when needed. McArthur puts in the effort and can get about the pitch but he's so indecisive on the ball and his control regularly kills attacks for us. 

I think even if he was still in good form for Palace, there must just be a fundamental stylistic difference that makes it hard for him to work with us. Maybe if we adjusted the system we would see his best again. We really need him to start performing for Scotland - Fletcher and Brown won't be there much longer and we need someone to anchor for our players like Armstrong, MacGregor and McGinn.

As for manager there's basically no Scottish manager I'm too keen on. I rate Alex Neill but I don't think he's what we need, even if he would come.

If you look at small nations that got to the Euros, a lot had foreign managers. Albania have an Italian. Iceland had a Swede. Romania and Hungary had Germans, I think. 

If our federation wasn't a typical British old boys' club that seems intent on keeping a select few outdated coaches in work, we could be looking abroad to see if any foreign coaches had a convincing vision of how they could take us to a tounrmanent - there are evidently plenty of basically unknown coaches around Europe capable of getting to tournaments with clearly weaker squads. 

I was thinking of MacArthur, but I was also thinking of Bannan, Fletcher and Phillips too. Fletchers been considered reliable and consistent by both Pulis and Hughes, Phillips is a confidence player but when confident is energetic with good technique, and Bannan has somewhat surprused most people witj his impact at Sheffield Wednesday. I have been surprised in the past that Bannan has been picked ahead of MacArthur for Scotland. Both are tenacious, play in multiple phases of the game, can be creative. The difference between them at Palace (other than Bannan being one of those genetic Scottish midgets that Strachan mentioned) is that Bannan is somebody you have to accommodate whilst MacArthur was somebody who forced his way in to the starting eleven.

You make a very good point about overseas Manager. Maybe Strachan should be replaced with a Spanish Manager who has spent his whole career working with football midgets.

• The topic was unpinned
2 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

If I was Callum McGregor or John McGinn's agent right now, I'd start negotiating a new contract now as the Scottish media are making them out to be amazingly talented players now that would win us the World Cup.

You see a lot more of McGregor than myself but he's always struck me as an impact player. What team does he need to join to develop as a player?

3 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

If I was Callum McGregor or John McGinn's agent right now, I'd start negotiating a new contract now as the Scottish media are making them out to be amazingly talented players now that would win us the World Cup.

Yeah but how tall are they?

:ph34r:

10 hours ago, Aaroncpfc said:

You see a lot more of McGregor than myself but he's always struck me as an impact player. What team does he need to join to develop as a player?

None, he's playing regularly and almost always performs well. In fact, there was a period when he was keeping Armstrong out of the team and Armstrong was still playing for Scotland ahead of him. 

Of course it's went a bit overboard amongst the fans about how much we need him, but it's because he's an agile, energetic, technically solid player who works for the team. 

When we see Scotland's midfield struggling to keep possession or build moves, or  struggle to get the ball back, we all instantly think that MacGregor is good at all of that. But because he's physically small, and he's not a flashy attacking player (he's not the best dribbler) and he also plays in Scotland, Strachan is extremely reluctant to play him. 

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, HK85 said:

Scotland haven't been good since Gary Naysmith was running the left side. 

they need Matt Elliott back in defence bossing things and Paul Dickov back up front.

Archived