• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

2017 Wimbledon

football forum

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Guaranteed a British Wimbledon champion in the mixed doubles as defending champions Heather Watson and Henri Kontinen face top seeds Jamie Murray and Martina Hingis.

Waiting for a nice payout after the weekend as I had Federer to win the tournament at 2/1, Cilic each way at 14/1 and Muguruza each way at 16/1. Each way pays out at half the odds if they reach the final which is pretty sexy.

• Subscriber

Pliskova becomes the women's number one on Monday despite never winning a grand slam, she reached the final of the US last year but I still feel the world number one should hold at least one major. Oh well.

Halep stays as number two while Kerber drops from #1 to #3. Jo Konta goes to a new career high of number four, then it's Muguruza.

Serena lost almost half of her remaining points missing Wimbledon so she falls from world number four to number 15. A final run gets Venus back into the top ten in 9th place. 

Wow. Federer hasn't lost lose a single set all tournament. He's 36 next week. No offence to the ladies but this is men's tennis we're talking about. It's much more difficult to accomplish this.

Only Nadal on clay does this kind of stuff.

Edit: Just did some research and this is only the second time Federer wins a G Slam without giving up any set. His first was AO 2007.

No one had done it in Wimbledon since Bjorg in 1976. Actually Bjorg was the first ever to do it so this is the second time in Wimbledon's history.

• Subscriber

I firmly believe Federer would have won the tournament anyway, but I wouldn't expect him to drop any sets against any of the guys he's played apart from possibly Raonic. Different scenario if he faced Djokovic in the semis and Murray in the final it would be a huge statement to beat all of his opponents in straight sets, and what he's done here is still very impressive but not that surprising - which is testament to just how well he is playing.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived