talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

2017 Wimbledon

football forum

• Subscriber

Quarter finals for Queens club and Halle tomorrow. Federer is a clear favourite at Halle, while Dimitrov looks to have a good chance of a second Queens title, but it would be nice to see Tsonga win it. Edit: I'm an idiot, Tsonga is already out xD.

Screenshot_20170622-224421.png

Screenshot_20170622-224429.png

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Murray to play a lucky loser/qualifier while Federer faces Dolgopolov in first round. 

Murray, Nadal, Wawrinka all in same half of the draw.

Federer & Djok in the other half. Raonic and Thiem in that side too. 

• Subscriber

That's a good draw for Murray in my opinion. Obviously as Djokovic is second seed they couldn't end up in the same half but on grass, Federer is the man you want to avoid. Regardless of how good Stan and Nadal were at the French Open, they are on their weakest surface and if Murray is near his best he should get the better of them on grass.

Raonic is also a potential threat on grass so pleased he's in the other half too. 

• Subscriber

Based on the draw, I can see Tsonga making it to the quarter final to face Murray instead of Wawrinka while Cilic has a very good chance of beating Nadal if that ends up being the quarter final. Overall expect Murray to come out of this half but if he's not in form I quite fancy Cilic.

In the third quarter, even with Raonic in there I can't see past Federer reaching the semi finals. That leaves Djokovic at the bottom, he could face Del Potro in the third round, which is a disastrous draw for Novak in my opinion. If he gets through that he is seeded to face Thiem in the quarter final, I'm not convinced Thiem has the grass court pedigree to be nailed on for that spot, nor do I think he's got the grass court game to beat Djokovic if Djokovic has played well enough to get that far. Regardless of what happens in this quarter, I would be shocked if Federer didn't reach the final from this side of the draw and would back him as favourite for the crown. 

• Subscriber

Good draw for Murray? If he wants to win it he will have to beat the likes of Krygios, Wawrinka, Nadal and Federer or Djokovic. Doesn't seem that easy for me...

Either way... come on Federer. :$

• Subscriber
17 minutes ago, JOSHBRFC said:

Good draw for Murray? If he wants to win it he will have to beat the likes of Krygios, Wawrinka, Nadal and Federer or Djokovic. Doesn't seem that easy for me...

Either way... come on Federer. :$

Wawrinka is nothing special on grass and Nadal hasn't reached the second week of Wimbledon since about 2012. He could have had Cilic or Raonic instead of Wawrinka who are both dangerous on the grass and he could have had Federer instead of Nadal which speaks for itself in being a bigger challenge at Wimbledon, so as far as what the seedings can mathematically throw up, it's a very nice draw. 

• Subscriber

The order of play for tomorrow (Day 1) has been released. My highlights/ones to watch:

Andy Murray (1) vs Alexander Bublik - Centre Court, 1pm

As is the tradition, the defending men's champion opens proceedings on Centre Court. While there have been mumblings about Murray's hip, he has declared himself fit for the tournament and should be comfortable in this match even if he's not quite at 100%. If there are any doubts over his hip, though, this could be a serious issue later in the tournament as anything less than 100% will not be enough for a successful title defence.

Johanna Larsson vs Petra Kvitova (11) - Centre Court, 3:30pm est.

In the absence of Serena Williams, the defending women's champion, two time winner Petra Kvitova is the first seeded woman on Centre Court. Kvitova only returned to action at the French Open last month following her shocking stabbing last year, but is still rated as one of the favourites and comes in having won the WTA grass court event in Birmingham last week. Larsson has competed eight times at Wimbledon, losing in the first round seven times and the second round on her debut in 2008. Kvitova should smash this, how comfortably may give an early indication of her title-winning credentials.

Daniil Medvedev vs Stan Wawrinka (5) - Centre Court, 5:30pm est.

Stan actually comes to Wimbledon one title short of winning a career grand slam, an unthinkable achievement who won his first major at the age of 28. However, for a three-time slam champion, Wawrinka has a poor record at Wimbledon, like really poor, only reaching the quarter-finals a couple of times. He lost to Del Potro in the second round last year and Lopez in the first round at Queen's a fortnight ago, while his opponent Medvedev brings some very respectable form to Wimbledon, having reached the quarter-finals at Queen's Club and the semi-finals at Eastbourne in the last two weeks, where it took Dimitrov and Djokovic to knock him out respectively. Stan should still have more than enough to win this match but it does stand out as one of the best chances of an upset in the first round.

Rafael Nadal (4) vs John Millman - Court One, 3pm est.

John Millman is ranked outside the top 100 and generally lives on the Challenger circuit, so it would be a massive shock if he even took a set off Nadal here. This is one of my picks though, just because Rafa hasn't made it past the fourth round of Wimbledon since 2011, but is in about the best form of the last few years of his career, so we'll see here how comfortable he looks on the grass and whether he seems likely to break his duck and stick around for the second week this year.

Johanna Konta (6) vs Su-Wei Hsieh - Court One, 5:30pm est.

In the absence of Serena Williams, Petra Kvitova and Karolina Pliskova are the two favourites for the singles' title on the women's side, but behind them, Johanna Konta, who has come out of nowhere in the past three years to become British number one and a top ten competitor, is among the next most-fancied. Jo Konta beat world number one Kerber last week at Eastbourne, before pulling out of her semi-final match with Pliskova, so while there may be doubts over her fitness, she does bring some good form on the grass into the tournament. This, however, is a rematch of the first round in last month's French Open, where Hsieh beat Konta in three sets, so this isn't an easy start for the British number one.

Philipp Kohlschreiber v Marin Cilic (7) - No. 2 Court, 4pm est.

Cilic is seeded to face Nadal in the quarter-finals, but given Rafa's poor performances here in recent years, a loss for the Spaniard could pave the way for Cilic to make this "his" quarter of the draw, and with an uncertain Murray or Wawrinka his most likely opponents in a potential semi-final, the Croatian probably has his best chance of getting to the final of what should be his strongest grand slam event. While Kohlschreiber has slipped to 57th in the rankings and does tend to prefer clay to grass, he has pedigree on this surface, having won at Halle in 2011, so this is not the easiest first round clash for Marin Cilic.

Fernando Verdasco (31) vs Kevin Anderson - Court 18, 1:30 est.

A bit further down the seedings, this should be a good match with two guys who can be very dangerous on the grass, but not in the best form of late. Verdasco, like most Spaniards, is more of a clay courter than a grass courter, he has won a title on grass and reached the quarter-finals at Wimbledon in 2013, losing to Andy Murray in five sets. Anderson misses out on a seeding despite being ranked just two places below his opponent, but his big serve will always be dangerous on this surface, which he demonstrated by reaching the final of Queen's Club in 2015. This one could be a five setter.

Joao Sousa vs Dustin Brown - Court 14, 11:30am

This one is mainly of interest due to Dustin Brown's small cult following in the UK. Yes he's the Jamaican/German player with the dreadlocks who plays like a mentalist, it's really quite entertaining compared to the majority of the men's draw. Joao Sousa is your average European baseline grinder, which should see him come off second best against Brown's crazy but reasonably effective attack on grass, and the winner of this one is likely to face Andy Murray in the second round. A Brown-Murray clash in the next round would, I'm sure, capture the imagination of the casual viewer who probably wouldn't be that interested in the first week 90% of the time.

My Bets

Andy Murray -8.5 game handicap @ 1.72

Daniil Medvedev to beat Stan Wawrinka @ 3.50

Rafael Nadal -7.5 game handicap @ 1.61

Fernando Verdasco vs Kevin Anderson - over 41.5 total games @ 1.72

Fernando Verdasco vs Kevin Anderson - tie break in first set @ 2.62

Dustin Brown to beat Joao Sousa 3-0 (straight sets) @ 3.20

Philipp Kohlschreiber vs Marin Cilic - over 3.5 sets @ 1.83

Johanna Konta to beat Su-Wei Hsieh 2-1 (set betting) @ 4.00

• Administrator

excellent. this is where i brag about being able to work from home :D 

Hopefully Murray's match is done by 3pm so I can tune in for Nadal in time. 

• Subscriber
18 minutes ago, JOSHBRFC said:

Did this last week. 

IMG_8308.thumb.PNG.e186cd51f2340d57e8ad6de0dfa681f5.PNG

It's a good shout Kvitova, the women's draw is so open with no Serena or Sharapova, Kerber struggling all year and the rest of the top seeds pretty unproven on grass. Jo Konta will never get a better chance to win it and Venus Williams won't get a better chance to win another major.

• Subscriber

Very open. Toughest to call for the Men's and Women's in years. So I will be very very pleased if that comes in. It's always hope with Federer more than anything :x

I just hope his decision to miss all the clay season pays off. 

• Administrator

Kyrgios looking totally uninterested in his game against Herbert xD 

He's such a bipolar kind of player. can either get a hot-headed, eccentric, dynamic and energetic player or the one like today - doesn't chase any ball, gives up on rallies, total lack of enthusiasm. 

Even during the breaks it's as if tennis is not on his mind and there's other things troubling him. 

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Tuned in hoping to catch some tennis on the opening day... rained off :rofl:

should have started watch from 11.30am like a proper fan :ph34r: 

• Subscriber

Nadal looking pretty strong against Millman, seems to be moving better than recent years on grass but I still think he'll be knocked out if he's unlucky and comes up against a big hitter in good form. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived