talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

2017 Wimbledon

football forum

• Subscriber

A shame to see what's happened to Laura Robson. Won the Juniors' title at the age of 14 and Olympic Silver in the mixed doubles with Andy Murray aged 18. Had that wrist operation a few years ago and never been the same since. Now ranked 189th in the world and out of Wimbledon in the first round for the third year in a row, this time to a Brazilian girl I've never heard of. Aside from the wrist problem, she never came across as being utterly engrossed in the sport like most professional players are these days. She used to be tipped as the next British woman to win a major.

Jo Konta has become a much better player though than either Robson or Heather Watson have ever been and ever will be. I hope she goes far this year so people can sit up and take note of just what a good British number one we have now on the female side. 7th in the world, a grand slam semi finalist last year and won the Miami Open this year, she should get more attention from our media and fans.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Wawrinka losing to Medvedev, two sets to one on Centre Court. Told you to look out for that one, hoping for the Russian to see it through and bring home my 4/1 dabble on him winning B|

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Wawrinka losing to Medvedev, two sets to one on Centre Court. Told you to look out for that one, hoping for the Russian to see it through and bring home my 4/1 dabble on him winning B|

i've not followed Wawrinka much to be honest. What's his history like on grass? I know he won US and French Opens recently but never really thought he could cut it against the standard top 4...

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Stan said:

i've not followed Wawrinka much to be honest. What's his history like on grass? I know he won US and French Opens recently but never really thought he could cut it against the standard top 4...

Wawrinka has won the other three slams in the last few years, beaten Nadal in one of those finals and Djokovic in the other two, also beaten Murray and Federer each at least once in slams off the top of my head so he can cut it against the top guys but not so hot on grass. Made it to the quarters at Wimbledon a couple of times that's it. A shame for him as he had a tiny chance of ending this tournament as world number one if he won it and Murray and Nadal both had poor tournaments. 

• Subscriber
On 02/07/2017 at 3:05 PM, RandoEFC said:

My Bets

Andy Murray -8.5 game handicap @ 1.72

Daniil Medvedev to beat Stan Wawrinka @ 3.50

Rafael Nadal -7.5 game handicap @ 1.61

Fernando Verdasco vs Kevin Anderson - over 41.5 total games @ 1.72

Fernando Verdasco vs Kevin Anderson - tie break in first set @ 2.62

Dustin Brown to beat Joao Sousa 3-0 (straight sets) @ 3.20

Philipp Kohlschreiber vs Marin Cilic - over 3.5 sets @ 1.83

Johanna Konta to beat Su-Wei Hsieh 2-1 (set betting) @ 4.00

Can't be bothered calculating it but I think I've made a small profit there I believe. Verdasco - Anderson had two tie breaks just not in the first set, Brown won in four sets after losing the first while Konta beat Hsieh 2-0 so not far off on a couple of the losses. Medvedev has saved my blushes today though.

An interesting first day. Wawrinka's loss to Medvedev is clearly the biggest story of the day, and Kyrgios is also out of Murray's section of the draw so it's a good day for Andy, though he faces a dangerous Dustin Brown in the second round followed by probably Fognini in the third round who won comfortably today. Both of these guys should be comfortably beatable for Murray but if he hands them any momentum they're both the type of player who could punish him for it. With Stan and Verdasco losing, Tsonga and Querrey are the seeds with the best chance of reaching the QFs from that section to face Murray if he reaches that stage. My money is on Tsonga.

Most of the seeds in Nadal's quarter went through untroubled today including Cilic, Nishikori, Muller and Bautista Agut. However, the 21st seed Ivo Karlovic is into a fifth set with "British" Aljaz Bedene. The match score is currently 7-6 6-7 7-6 6-7 1-2 - there have been no breaks of serve yet and remember this fifth set will not go to a tie break so we could be here a while. Tommy Haas, former world number 2, lost to Bemelmans in the first round today so that's the oldest man in the draw out sadly.

On the women's side, where it is very hard to pick who is and isn't a contender, most of the "favourites" to come into that category went through - Venus Williams, Konta, Kvitova, Halep and Svitolina all made it through in straight sets. Vinci (31) and Lucic-Baroni (26) are the only seeds to have fallen so far though Suarez Navarro is currently getting her ass handed to her by Bouchard who is unseeded despite being a former finalist. Azarenka is also unseeded and also on court now and is a set down to Bellis but 3-0 up in the second set.

In terms of British interest on the women's side. Laura Robson and Naomi Broady both lost in straight sets but Heather Watson joins Konta in the next round after winning her match 6-1 7-6. Watson will face 18th seed Sevastova next and Konta will face either Donna Vekic or some Russian girl whose name I'm not even going to try and type out, they're currently still in action.

• Subscriber

Aljaz Bedene finally beats Karlovic in the fifth set. Thought that one could go on a while longer but credit to him.

My bets for tomorrow:

Bet of the Day - Federer -8.5 games handicap (Odds 2.10)

Straight Sets Accumulator - Edmund, Raonic, Djokovic, Federer, Muguruza (Odds 7.81)

Long Shot Treble - Del Potro to beat Kokkinakis in straight sets, Fritz v Isner - tie break in first set, Kerber to beat Falconi in three sets (Odds 20.25)

Great day for Murray. Straight sets win and reasonably untroubled. Got the business done quick, has to help if he is feeling any niggles.

Also, Wawrinka was meant to meet Murray in the Quarters I think? With him gone and what with Kyrgios out too, that's made life a little easier for Murray.

• Subscriber

Wow I know he's poor on grass but I weren't expecting him to get beat in the first round. 

Good day all round for Murray with Wawrinka and Kyrgios both exiting the competition. 

I know it's not his strongest surface but I really wouldn't be surprised to see Nadal have his best tournament here in years. I know Clay is by far his best surface and nobody will ever dominate a surface like he has with clay but the ease in which he won that title.... amazing.

Federer Nadal final would be awesome. I get nervous every time I watch Federer as I just want him to win every match. Even I have been surprised with how well he's played this year... he's 36 next month ffs. I know he's favourite for Wimbledon but how can he still be playing so good. Would be amazing if he wins here and takes his tally to 19 slams. I just think people are over estimating him by making him a pre tournament 2/1 favourite. How can be keep doing this at his age xD 

• Subscriber

Edmund has already ruined my straight sets accumulator the bastard. Del Potro on course to get me the first leg of the 20/1 treble though.

How on earth is Gasquet losing to Ferrer :dam:on grass?

• Administrator

Raonic making light work of his test against Jan-Lennard Struff. 

Looking forward to see how Djokovic plays. Is this his first slam with the new coaching regime (Agassi and someone else I think)?

• Administrator
30 minutes ago, Stan said:

Raonic making light work of his test against Jan-Lennard Struff. 

Looking forward to see how Djokovic plays. Is this his first slam with the new coaching regime (Agassi and someone else I think)?

it wasn't light work in the end xD. Still got through straight sets though.

Djokovic's opponent, Klizan, has retired hurt and Djokovic effectively gets a bye. 

• Subscriber

Bit of an anti-climax today. My bet of the day is void, Edmund cost me the straight sets accumulator but two legs of that would have been void anyway with Djokovic and Federer getting retirements in their match, long shot treble looks to have failed on all three fronts too but that's why it's a long shot.

Brits James Ward and Brydan Klein are both on their way out in straight sets unsurprisingly.

Tomic and Kokkinakis both lost as well, young Aussies having a pretty disastrous Wimbledon.

Can't believe Gasquet has lost to Ferrer on grass, that is shocking from him.

Not much of interest happening today really, looks like Federer will be facing Lajovic in the second round which should be another comfortable one for him. Thiem should get past Pospisil today and set up an interesting Round 2 with Gilles Simon. Ferrer will play Steve Darcis next who knocked Nadal out of Wimbledon in 2013. Berdych is the beneficiary of that section of the draw with Gasquet's exit softening up his route to the last 16 where he's seeded to face Thiem and will probably fancy his chances on this surface if that match comes about. Monfils and Kyle Edmund will play each other in Round 2, that one is likely to be put on one of the show courts and should be interesting, a good test of how far Edmund has come in the last 12 months. Djokovic will cruise past Pavlasek in the next round, but then has a very dangerous third round against the winner of Gulbis vs Del Potro which will be an interesting clash in its own right if Gulbis turns up.

• Administrator

interesting comments from Tomic. 

Asked about how he felt out on court, Tomic said he "felt a little bit bored out there."

"This is my eighth Wimbledon or ninth I think. I'm still 24, and it's tough to find motivation, you know," he continued.

"Really, me being out there on the court, to be honest with you, I just couldn't find any motivation.

"You know, I know I have another 10 years to go. We all work for one thing. And I believe, you know, you have to respect the sport. But I think I don't respect it enough, yes."

• Administrator

Wozniacki a bit rattled here despite winning the first set . Was broken to love in the first game of the 2nd set and had a go at the ballboys for not having the balls on both sides. Then threw the balls after that game was lost like a player kicks the ball away for a foul xD 

• Subscriber

Good match this. Almost had a dabble on Babos when I was looking through odds yesterday as she's a big hitter and that can spell danger for Wozniacki on grass, but pussied out after having a nosey at Babos' form. Still expect Wozniacki to come through this after another 5-6 breaks of serve this final set.

• Administrator

Wozniacki in trouble here. Looks set to go 2-0 down in the final. Like the way Babos plays. Lots of intensity but that may just be because of the occasion and who she's currently beating. Never seen her play before. 

• Administrator

oops, spoke too soon. Wozniacki well in control now. Babos had about 2-3 golden opportunities to go up 2-0 but Wozniacki pulled it back. Babos' mind has gone. Body language all over the shop but that's the inexperience no doubt. 

• Subscriber

For tomorrow:

Bet of the Day

Murray vs Brown over 3.5 sets @ 2.62. These odds are saying there's about a 2 in 7 chance of this happening and I think that's a bit low. Can easily see Brown lighting it up for one set. 

Straight Sets Accumulator

Tsonga, Nishikori, Cilic, Nadal, Konta, Halep @ 17.13. Going big on this one, Nishikori and Konta are probably the riskiest so might end up removing one of them. 

Long Shot Treble

Murray to win by 3 sets to 1, Janowicz to beat Pouille, Brengle vs Kvitova over 2.5 sets @ 45.00. Might stick 50p on this B|.

6 hours ago, Stan said:

Dolgopolov retires hurt as well.

How gutted you'd be for getting Centre Court tickets today and only seeing 1 full game xD

That's robbing the general public in my eyes. Those tickets aren't cheap at all and that's two games on a show court as well.

Only two days gone and there's been quite a few early retirements.

It's time they consider a rule change in grand slams so players can pull out before a game without risking not getting their match fee and a lucky loser can come in and play for a certain fee so they still get something.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Lucas said:

That's robbing the general public in my eyes. Those tickets aren't cheap at all and that's two games on a show court as well.

Only two days gone and there's been quite a few early retirements.

It's time they consider a rule change in grand slams so players can pull out before a game without risking not getting their match fee and a lucky loser can come in and play for a certain fee so they still get something.

I'm not being funny but as much as being injured is bad luck, if you can't play you shouldn't get it. However, I don't think a lot of these guys need the money. Klizan and Dolgopolov have made enough money in their careers, though there are some guys who barely get a sniff of the main tour to whom the prize money makes a difference. I genuinely believe that 99% of players turn up and play because it's Wimbledon and just pray they'll manage to play a decent match through the injury, rather than being motivated by the prize money.

The fans did get to see an extra match between Wozniacki and Babos though anyway so they probably got to see the same amount of tennis for their money, more or less. A shame it wasn't the Federer and Djokovic action they were probably hoping to see though. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived