talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Sack Race 2017/18

11 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

He's been at Liverpool, what, two and a half years? This is his second full season and he's had probably 5-6 transfer windows to address Liverpool's biggest problem, their defence, and for me he's failed to do change that for the better in that time. James Milner at left-back worked in the short-term granted and Andy Robertson looks okay at Premier League level but how long can Liverpool get away with the likes of Klavan, Gomez, Lovren and Matip littering their back four and Karius and Mignolet in goal while they concede to the likes of Watford, Bournemouth (six goals last season), Hull (3), Burnley (3) and Crystal Palace (4) is questionable for me. I think a lot rests on the signing of Virgil Van Dijk, if that can get pushed through before the end of the window then I think my prediction won't happen but if he doesn't sign, I think Liverpool can and will struggle and people will start to get the hump with Klopp's failure to sort out the back five.

I did make the prediction about Klopp getting sacked when the Van Dijk signing was "dead", though I believe that isn't the case anymore. 

I totally get your point mate I really do, but there ain't no way FSG sack Klopp. 

The only way he goes is if he walks away. That is much more likely. 

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

He's been at Liverpool, what, two and a half years? This is his second full season and he's had probably 5-6 transfer windows to address Liverpool's biggest problem, their defence, and for me he's failed to do change that for the better in that time. James Milner at left-back worked in the short-term granted and Andy Robertson looks okay at Premier League level but how long can Liverpool get away with the likes of Klavan, Gomez, Lovren and Matip littering their back four and Karius and Mignolet in goal while they concede to the likes of Watford, Bournemouth (six goals last season), Hull (3), Burnley (3) and Crystal Palace (4) is questionable for me. I think a lot rests on the signing of Virgil Van Dijk, if that can get pushed through before the end of the window then I think my prediction won't happen but if he doesn't sign, I think Liverpool can and will struggle and people will start to get the hump with Klopp's failure to sort out the back five.

I did make the prediction about Klopp getting sacked when the Van Dijk signing was "dead", though I believe that isn't the case anymore. 

Tbf Matip has been quality. He has the pace to handle how Liverpool defend, and although he's not a tank, he uses his body intelligently, and he's decent with the ball too. 

12 minutes ago, Inverted said:

Tbf Matip has been quality. He has the pace to handle how Liverpool defend, and although he's not a tank, he uses his body intelligently, and he's decent with the ball too. 

Agreed Matip is quality. 

Clyne and TAA are solid for RB and Robertson looks a decent upgrade for LB. 

As SC said, if we can rope in VVD as a replacement for Lovren then we are ok I think! More than ok in fact. 

2 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

Why's that? 

Hes only just signed a 6 year extension! 

Im willing to have a substantial bet that he's still here after 2020?

Rodgers signed a new long term contract after we finished 2nd, he was gone within 18 months. I don't necessarily agree with SC but things change quickly in football and long term contracts mean fuck all basically.

1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

Rodgers signed a new long term contract after we finished 2nd, he was gone within 18 months. I don't necessarily agree with SC but things change quickly in football and long term contracts mean fuck all basically.

I know. 

And Klopp isn't getting the sack. 

• Subscriber

If you sold Coutinho and failed to bring in anyone (that's admittedly clutching at straws) do you think he'd consider walking? I got the impression the main reason he left Dortmund was for similar reasons.

5 minutes ago, Dan said:

If you sold Coutinho and failed to bring in anyone (that's admittedly clutching at straws) do you think he'd consider walking? I got the impression the main reason he left Dortmund was for similar reasons.

Nah not really. He was at Dortmund 7 years and was constantly losing his best players to a club he was trying to surpass. He eventually left saying he simply needed a break. 

You can never say never in football but I highly doubt losing 1 player would unsettle him that much. 

16 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Do people really think a manager on a multi-million pound contract will just walk away? If you're on £6/7 million a year you'll do what you're told.

Or make your working relationship untenable so that your superiors sack you anyway, like Mourinho constantly does. Doing that means managers get a big pay off whilst also getting a big signing on fee at their next club. 

Downing tools and getting sacked is much more common than doing as you're told, especially amongst the top managers.   

Klopp is such a charismatic enigma I wouldn't be surprised if he did join Liverpool because of the history, the fans, the YNWA meaning etc. I don't think money means more to him than his reputation. He strikes me as the type that would rather walk over broken promises than pull a Jose.

West lost again so bilics odds must be up. Although they have had 3 away games so think the owners will want to see how they do at home

• Subscriber

Bilic is looking a banker for this at the minute. Another treacherous start from them, a battering at a Newcastle side who've started very slowly themselves.

I thought him or Hughes and surprise surprise backed the latter.

• Subscriber

It's too soon for that but their business was of someone who looked like their job was under threat.

I think West Ham are a total shambles and Bilic isn't the main problem. I think they'll be like this under most managers.

• Administrator

Right now it's De Boer and Bilic the front runners to be sacked first.

2 out of Palace's next 5 in the league are winnable:

Burnley (H)
Southampton (A)
Man City (A)
Man Utd (A)
Chelsea (H)

On current form, those last 3 are write-offs. They have to get something from that Burnley game. Games at this stage of the season aren't exactly the be all and end all, but given their start so far, you kind of think that game is a must-win for confidence purposes and just to get them off the mark. And because of those last 3, you have to beat the teams that are likely to be around you. 

West Ham's next 5 league games:
Huddersfield (H)
West Brom (A)
Tottenham (H)
Swansea (H)
Burnley (A)

I'd say 3 winnable. West Brom and Spurs will be difficult to get points off. Similar to Palace, the next home game sort of becomes 'must-win' just to get their league points going.

Been saying since the fixtures came out that we were destined to be in the bottom three after the first ten games. DeBoer has been advised by the board to show a willingness to adapt his tactical approach, which is encouraging. You can't teach people like Martin Kelly to play normal football.

On 26/08/2017 at 4:35 AM, Danny said:

Klopp is the sort of manager who is after the harder task, he could have got a job anywhere but chose limited funded Liverpool. I don't think he'll walk.

Limited funded? 

You do know that we are one of the biggest spenders in Premier League history? 

I agree with your sentiments though, he's after a long term project, not an oil rich club. 

• Subscriber

That they would consider sacking Bilic after four games despite him already being there two years is indicative of the shambles West Ham are. 

I also called Palace to struggle due to how big a change it is, said they would stay up but I'm not very confident now, no goals, no points and an opening three games that I'd have been demanding six points from. Absolutely dreadful stuff so far.

Are Palace established enough to be able to safely change their style of play? What I mean is it's likely to be a bumpy ride when you go for someone not so suited to a team's way of playing, but will their quality pull them through actually surviving? I'd have my doubts to be honest. I don't expect De Boer to see the season.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Yeah my Hughes shout went massively tits up. They've actually started quite well.

Bilic is probably next.

Koeman I don't think is entirely out the picture. This is the 3rd abject loss on the spin.

Archived