talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Joe Hart Signs for West Ham (on loan)

I don't dislike Hart but I've never rated him as a top goalkeeper, even during his peak at City. I'm not surprised no Champions League chasing team went in for him, maybe if he was 5 years younger he'd get the run of the green but at 30 you wonder if he'll ever iron out those issues to become a world class keeper.

Good signing for West Ham but I wonder how high the wages are, maybe he can cover that through marketing.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whilst there's a lot of criticism out there for Hart he could potentially have a David James career. David James was probably worse at the very top than Joe Hart, but he gave a lot of solid mid table keeper years to clubs in his 30s.

10 hours ago, Tanksie said:

Made plenty of gaffs for England, and Torino, but was mostly solid at City I recall, bar his baffling inability to save free kicks at his near post. Good for West ham

I think people forget how talented that backline was with the mid's defending him. He had the likes of Gareth Barry, Yaya Toure, Fernandhino in the midfield covering him and then a backline with prime Zabaleta, Kolarov, Clichy, Kompany, Lescott/Toure(in prime). When you don't have those guys standing tall in front of you, it's not hard to slip into Torino form.

• 4 months later...
8 minutes ago, Kitchen Sales said:

Looks like the worst keeper in the league :ph34r:

Was ranked as the second worst goalkeeper in Serie A last season. Only relegated Palermo's Josip Posavec made more errors than him. Simply not good enough for this level of football.

Doesn't help that he has played behind two truly awful defences in the last two seasons, but still making bad mistakes.

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

Was ranked as the second worst goalkeeper in Serie A last season. Only relegated Palermo's Josip Posavec made more errors than him. Simply not good enough for this level of football.

Doesn't help that he has played behind two truly awful defences in the last two seasons, but still making bad mistakes.

That one at Empoli in the video isn't Hart's fault hahahaha

2 minutes ago, Dan said:

That one at Empoli in the video isn't Hart's fault hahahaha

Figured that was an example of him playing behind an awful defence  xD  There's also some good saves in there as well.

He's far from West Ham's biggest problem, however.

I do feel sorry for him as he's had a bit of a fall from grace, but he was dropped by both Pellegrino and Mancini at times wasn't he?

I personally never rated him that highly, he got a lot of praise I thought for theatrical long range shot stopping, but whenever something came in at an angle it seemed to go tits up.

Guardiola got a lot of stick for dropping him last season and some of that right for his replacement in Bravo, but the fact only West Ham and Torino wanted him probably shows how much the football world rates him currently.

• 3 weeks later...

Joe Hart was always overrated... He would come out with a spectacular shot top every now and then but he was very erratic and nothing on great English keepers of the past. Plus he seemed to have this arrogant display on the pitch about him that I never understood and wasn’t earned at all.  

Like @Danny said, he’s been dropped by all the Man City coaches he had at some point and Guardiola just wasn’t up for the possibility of the home press artificially bigging him up every now and then considering he was planning for the future, so that’s why he replaced him. The fact Claudio Bravo never worked out is by the by because most coaches around Europe would’ve bet on the Chilean goalkeeper as a serious experienced signing until a long term one was acquired. Why that didn’t work is a mystery because he’s a very good keeper.  But this is about Joe Hart and how his career is planning out is simply levelling itself out to the quality he has. 

• Subscriber

He was never as good as some people made out but he should never have got shit enough that he shouldn't have been one of the first names on the teamsheet in this West Ham side.

Complete fall from grace and for me a major part of it is a delusional belief that he is actually a top goalkeeper and that he can prove Pep wrong (which isn't helped by Southgate blindly keeping him as number 1 despite at least Pickford and Butland showing much better form over a long period of time).

28 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

I think it's too late to drop him before a major tournament due to the immense Scott Carson Croatia like pressure it will put on his replacement, but it would be mental to not start Butland or Pickford over him after the tournament.

Hart was terrible at the Euros, I'd probably replace him for the tournament but yeah perhaps need to be careful when we bring the new keeper in.

Archived